New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

got my new toy from the snap-on man :D

Old 01-25-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my new toy from the snap-on man :D

sweeeet, i finally got this thing.. i ordered it from the snap on dude.. a MUST have for any electronics installer.. i love this!

it plugs into the cig lighter and will NOT blow anything like an air bag by accidently tagging the wrong wire with it.. so its hella safe.. retails at around $70...

sorry i wasted the last 30 seconds of your life.. but it made my day and i just had to let the world know!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:44 PM

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what exactly does it test? Is this a code dump for the ECU??
Old 01-25-2003, 02:05 PM

nice.....who is your snap-on guy?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:07 PM

copied and pasted from where i posted this on honda-tech.. somebody asked what it was:

normally as an installer youd have a cheap one in your case.. the cheap ones consist of a clamp on one end, and a metal probe on the other with a bulb in between.. you clamp it on a ground, and you use the probe to find the wire youre looking for.. when the probe hits a "hot" wire, or a wire with 12V running through it the bulb turns on.. if the wire is a ground, or neither the bulb does nothing.. simple little tool really, just a light, with a power and a ground.. now with the cheap ones, the ground will backfeed through the light and sometimes trigger the wire.. ie, your door locks if it is a (-) trigger.. or worse you could ground a wire and fry a relay, factory keyless entry module, BCM(body conrtol module), or if its a airbag wire by chance you could blow one of those.. and for an installer that COULD be deadly..

now with this test light, the "clamp" end hooks up to the cig lighter, and the probe end consists a little flash light type bulb to show you what youre doing in the dark under a dash, and a LED.. when the probe hits a ground, the LED will show green, when the probe hits 12V the LED will show red, and if the wire is neither it will show nothing.. I believe it uses both the ground and the power in your cig lighter.. plus there is a circuit board inside it with diodes so it will not backfeed.. meaning safe to probe any wire!

basically this thing will shave time off when youre installing things such as remote starters, alarms, keyless entry.. say your power door lock wire is (-) triggered.. you know its in this plug in the kick panel and you know its white.. but what if there are more than one white wire in there.. you could take a shitty test light and "ground" all the white wires and chance damaging something, with one of these once you tap into the right wire the locks will lock when the probe hits the wire.. or take this one, probe the wire, and hit the lock button, if the LED flashes green when you hit the button then you know its the right wire..

just a nifty tool to shave my install times down a bit.. now i don't have to be as careful with probing wires.. theres no chance of harming anything with this..

as for who my snap on dude is.. i have no idea.. hes kinda big.. brown hair? not sure his name..
Old 01-25-2003, 09:13 PM

sound like it might be the guy I know.....Jim Breaze, he used to babysit be when I was little.
Where do you work as an installer?
Old 01-25-2003, 11:02 PM

I used to work at auto accessory world.. we will leave that story for another time.. currently looking for a job.. at the moment I install compustars for no business but my own...

yes. that name is familiar..