New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Hardtop Guru Wanted

Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hardtop Guru Wanted

Just put on my hardtop today, however Im not satisfied with the fitment.

Please, If you guys know how to properly adjust a hardtop or know anyone please let me know.
I am willing to drive to your location and willing to pay for your time.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics would help us get a idea of what's going on

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We need more information. Is it OEM Hardtop? If so there are adjustment procedures in the manual. What is wrong with it? Does it have air leaks, wind noise, visual gaps, window fitment issues?

I have had an OEM hardtop for 2 years and have always had some wind noise and creaking, its the nature of the beast.

The things I've done that have helped are:
1) Shin-etsu grease all seals and mating services
2) Remove some shims under front latches
3) Tighten rear latches by moving the brackets
4) Live with it
5) Switch to fixed brackets to eliminate wind noise and creaking over bumps

-Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

^ I think Mike nailed it. Adding the hardtop does come with squeaks and rattles that you can try to eliminate but may not be able to do so completely.

Are you unhappy about how the hardtop is mounted. You can adjust the brackets to move it around a little. When Mark355 and I installed my hardtop we not only followed the instructions that came with the hardtop but also followed the DIY on this site. Maybe we got lucky, but we installed it correctly the first time when we measured all the gaps.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Its an OEM hardtop. Wind noise - top of the windshield and back side of both windows when speed pass 60mph. I will take pictures tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tpolonyi
Its an OEM hardtop. Wind noise - top of the windshield and back side of both windows when speed pass 60mph. I will take pictures tomorrow.
To remove the windshield noise, remove some shims under the latches. Be careful removing the screws that hold in the latch, they're brittle. It's of paramount importance to use the right size screwdriver. IIRC the tricky one is Philips #3, but check for yourself before taking my word as it's been a while since I've done it!

As for wind by the side windows, I still get a little of that myself. Make sure your rear latches are super tight and then shin-etse grease the seals. Once you've done that, there's not much else you can do. When I'm driving, I often push on the seals or glass to see how I can eliminate the wind noise. Once you've found the problem area, experiment with other solutions.

The worst part of all of this is that you have to re-do half of it when you take the top on and off!!!!! For this reason alone I have left my top on for 2 years now that's I've gotten it pretty quiet.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 AM

I have had awesome luck with my OEM HT, I get a tiny extra wind noise from the passenger's window, and that's about all. I'm thrilled to say I have never had to deal with other issues, must be when the dealer installed it they did a very good job.

Good luck making the adjustments described. I hope you get it to a point where you are happy with it!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 AM

BTW- I deleted the post just like this that appeared to be a duplicate
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
BTW- I deleted the post just like this that appeared to be a duplicate
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Originally Posted by tpolonyi' timestamp='1351977559' post='22127880
To remove the windshield noise, remove some shims under the latches. Be careful removing the screws that hold in the latch, they're brittle. It's of paramount importance to use the right size screwdriver. IIRC the tricky one is Philips #3, but check for yourself before taking my word as it's been a while since I've done it!

As for wind by the side windows, I still get a little of that myself. Make sure your rear latches are super tight and then shin-etse grease the seals. Once you've done that, there's not much else you can do. When I'm driving, I often push on the seals or glass to see how I can eliminate the wind noise. Once you've found the problem area, experiment with other solutions.

The worst part of all of this is that you have to re-do half of it when you take the top on and off!!!!! For this reason alone I have left my top on for 2 years now that's I've gotten it pretty quiet.

Good luck!

-Mike

Thanks. I attached some pictures I took today. I played around with it, and the windshield noise is not so bad. But I have notice some alignment issue that might be the factor of all my problem. The driver side seems to be off, compare to the passenger side. How will I be able to get this nicely align?

Here are some pictures. The passenger side aligns perfect but as you can see the driver side is off.

Driver side:

Passenger side: Nicely aligned

Quick Reply: Hardtop Guru Wanted