New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

HEY MARC

Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HEY MARC

Out of curiosity, have you looked at the Elantra?
It is indeed smaller than the Sonata and maybe the size of the Sonata is what attracts you two
But I just thought I would ask as the Elantra is indeed a very nice car

I choose the following review because of all the magazines out there, I still believe Road & Track and AutoWeek (AW) are the best

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS, an AW Drivers Log Car Review
Published on 6/10/2011

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: The 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS is definitely a solid value. After spending a weekend in a (relatively) blinged-out version recently, and now this tester, I am impressed. For $20,000, even with options, you get navigation, satellite radio and nice packaging inside and out. That's a deal.

I like the drive character of this Hyundai. There's plenty of power from the 148-hp, four-cylinder mill, and the six-speed automatic pairs well with that engine. Dial up more than 5,000 rpm, and you can shoot into open spaces on the expressway with ease. Heck, redline it and this thing has a respectable kick for such a modest engine output. The steering has some connection, which is felt during turns, though it's largely a light feel that mainstream consumers will like. The chassis is comfortable yet well sprung, and the body offers a composed dynamic most of the time. It was thrown a little by road imperfections, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Inside is a smartly laid-out cabin, and the center stack is easy to use and handsome. I found a very comfortable driving position, which isn't always easy to do in smaller cars. I have to give props to Hyundai, too, for making a reasonably quiet interior setting. Yes, there is some four-banger engine buzz, and on a wet, windy spring morning, I was aware of the outside. But for $20,000, it's quiet enough.

The styling stands out, and Hyundai is definitely not afraid to swagger with its small cars. Nice effort.

INTERACTIVE ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: The Hyundai Elantra is probably the small car I'd choose now, instead of a Honda Civic. I saw the Elantra next to a Honda this weekend and they have almost exactly the same proportions from the outside. The Elantra just looks better.

They both have the futuristic look going on, but the Elantra's lines are much cooler, more swoopy and flowing. The car looks as if it would be very slippery at speed.

There were no problems accelerating up to expressway speed or passing speed with 148 hp. But the car does get blown around a bit. The 2,877-pound curb weight is susceptible to gusts on the highway and requires a steady hand on the wheel.

The six-speed is great and really adds to the upscale feel. We recently had a Scion that had a four-speed transmission. It felt faster but less expensive, by far. On a medium sprint to 60 mph, the Elantra just shifts away with no drama. I didn't get a chance to use the sport-shift function.

The cabin is modestly quiet. It wasn't so much the engine noise that bothered me but the expansion joints on the road. Those and other potholes seemed to transfer into the cabin quite loudly.

But that's what you're looking at with a $20,000 car. It's not the most refined sedan, but everything buyers are looking for is there. A decent radio, CD player, steering-wheel controls, power windows, seats and locks? A Civic with all of that costs about 20 grand. Add navigation like that in this Elantra, and it'll cost more than $22,000.

Hyundai's on a roll right now with the Sonata, the Genesis and the Equus, and the Elantra is another good one for the price. The American brands spent so long chasing the Japanese with their small cars that they forgot about the Koreans. But all those battles they have are good for one group of people--the consumers.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: I was very, very impressed with this little car. For $20,000, the overall package is impressive. The 1.8-liter is strong enough, if a bit buzzy. The six-speed does, in fact, help quiet the thing down at freeway speeds. The digital display atop the center stack is rather nice, but does a $20,000 entry-level car really need a backup camera? Really? I mean, it's nice, but is this something necessary for this car in this segment?

I still give Hyundai low marks for the same two things: suspension and seats. On certain road surfaces, this car, like several Hyundais driven in the recent past, at times has trouble keeping the tires on the pavement. And as for the seats, I'm really not sure what template they are using for what body size. Whatever it is, I know I don't fit. An hour in this seat, and I'm really happy to get out of it.

Despite those two issues, this a good-looking car with decent interior room, it's nicely appointed and overall, it's a decent driver. If you're shopping for a $20,000 car, you must put this on your list.

COPY EDITOR CYNTHIA L. OROSCO-WRIGHT: I really liked this Elantra, which the hubby called the mini-Sonata after our weekend in the car. And it does look and feel and drive very much like the Sonata.

The Elantra's four-cylinder pulls strong and easily gets you up to speed and in and out of passing maneuvers. The car does feel a bit zippier than its big-brother Sonata. The center-console setup is compact and puts all of the necessary controls easily within reach. A couple of bonuses on this $20,000 ride are the navigation and the backup camera, extras usually reserved for higher-priced models. There was decent legroom in the back seat and lots of room in the trunk for groceries and gifts and such.

But, like the Sonata, the Elantra's suspension is pretty easily upset over expansion joints and crumbling roads around town. Also, there is some roll around curves, and the seats are not very comfy for much more than short drives. But overall, with fine sheetmetal, decent materials inside, a good ride and solid fuel-economy numbers, this is a good package at a good price.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: As many expressed above, I'm also impressed with the amount of content you get in the Elantra for a hair more than $20,000. That includes navigation, backup camera and a pretty decent sound system.

This Elantra hits well on so many areas, from its standout sheetmetal, comfortable cabin built from materials that are on par with the rest of the class and an efficient drivetrain which is rated at 40 mph on the expressway.

I do have to reiterate the complaints I had when I drove the Limited version a few weeks ago. The chassis setup could benefit from some tightening up. There is lots of roll in corners, and steering feedback is virtually nonexistent. Sure, the soft suspension setup is great to damp potholes and ruts, but the floaty feel around turns made me feel really uncomfortable. As for the steering, that's an area where Hyundai has always struggled.

And as Roger said, the 1.8-liter four-cylinder gets buzzy. However, it's certainly up to the task of motivating this small sedan around town and on the expressway with relative ease.

In the end, Hyundai has a seriously competitive small car on its hands. With a couple of tweaks to the suspension and steering, I believe this Elantra would be a serious threat to the rest of the small-car field.

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Base Price: $17,800
As-Tested Price: $20,230
Drivetrain: 1.8-liter I4; FWD, six-speed automatic
Output: 148 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 131 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm
Curb Weight: 2,877 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 33/28.7 mpg
Options: Navigation package including high-resolution, seven-inch touch-screen display, rearview camera, premium audio with external amp, automatic headlights ($1,750); preferred equipment package including 16-inch alloy wheels, steering-wheel audio controls, Bluetooth hands-free with voice recognition, cloth-insert door trim, sliding center armrest, illuminated vanity mirrors with driver's extension, illuminated

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1afbnLneS
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 AM

What's the latest on the Chrysler she has now, any new news on the electrical demon?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Apparently both chips that control the instrumentation are dead. The first one burned out, which shorted out the second one. $2000 to replace. However, Chrysler is replacing the more expensive one under warranty (no idea why, that car is so far out of warranty...but I'm not going to argue) so it'll only be about $700 or so.

As far as the Elantra goes, I've ridden in the back seat of one. Surprisingly roomy and comfortable ride for a small car. However, Sarah and I do like a bit of power in our vehicles, and I just don't think 148HP mated to a slushbox on a 2800 lb car is gonna be enough.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm shopping for a new winter beater and test drove all of these - Elantra is nice inside but not very good to drive - definitely not as good ad Mazda 3, Focus and Golf. Maybe not even as good as the new Civic. I'm currently leaning towards the Focus since I don't really like Mazda interior and smiley demeanor and I've had the VW for a while and want to try something else. I like the idea of a 6-spd manual in the new Accent - but haven't driven it yet -might be a bit too small and slow (drove the similar sized Fiesta - fun car - too slow and too small)

EDIT: And I personally prefer the handling of the Optima to the Sonata. I think Sonata apes Camry where Optima tries for Accord.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Oh, and Sarah likes the Sonata because she likes larger cars.

Seriously, I've seen her come back from garage sales with her Sebring packed to the gills. Maybe I shouldn't let her learn stick, because then she'd take my truck to garage sales...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Ok, I figured I would ask, I totally get the size thing.

In addition, I totally agree with Maksim, I think you guys must look at and consider the Kia Optima, I too prefer it.

And, that's good news, or, as good as it can be, about the chip replace. I bet the offer to do that outside of warranty has something to do with the fact that it is a known point of failure.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 AM

I'll have Sarah try out the Optima.

There are things on the EX model (what she would probably go for) that she won't be interested in (like leather, wood paneling interior), so it might be a tougher sell. Plus, the Sonata does trump the Optima in looks.

I know these things matter less to me, but it is her car, and she is the one buying.

We're still very interested in the Legacy 3.6R Premium as well - it is a front runner.

I'm going to try to get her into some smaller vehicles too to see how she likes them, like the Mazda 3 and the Fit. Both would be a heckuva lot cheaper!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Plus, the Sonata does trump the Optima in looks.
See, that's like a color thing, there are no wrong answers
I totally do not agree though
The Optima trumps the Sonata

Sonata

Optima

I like the Sonata very, very much, don't get me wrong, but the Optima just looks more like a rich upmarket performance car to me

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

It may be out of the price range, but have you thought about a CPO TSX? I drove one this week and was very impressed with both MT & Auto. For Auto, they had us put the Transmission in Sport mode, hit the left paddle to lock the tranny into 1st and keep it there, and then let us off on to our braking and turning exercise.

I prefer the looks of the older gen TSX, but the new one is not a bad looker either.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I'm going to try to get her into some smaller vehicles too to see how she likes them, like the Mazda 3 and the Fit. Both would be a heckuva lot cheaper!
Mazda 3 is definitely a great choice

Quick Reply: HEY MARC