New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Levi Drive - July 14th - Saturday

Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Just a short post mortem on the Levi Drive.

As you all know, the date had unsettled weather and almost everybody decided to bail. Andy, however, had driven from Seneca Falls on Friday night with plans to do the drive with his son Griffin. I didn't want to leave the hanging - and since I had also brought my car north from Connecticut, the drive was on.

We met at the appointed time at the Exit 25 Stewarts. We gassed up and then had the mandatory driver's meeting. I pontificated on important matters - the ediquette rules for keeping up and passing were the most important topics - but there were others.

Eventually, I ran out of things to say and we proceeded to find our cars in the crowded parking lot.

Once we were on the road heading west through Brant Lake, we somehow managed to get behind a police car. So we dawdled along at Saturday morning with nothing to do speeds for quite some time with nice views of the lake out our left side. When the police car pulled into a side street, we were able to go at a somewhat better pace. In only about 15 minutes we arrived at a town called Hauge on Lake George and stopped at the town park with a view of Lake George.

The sky was threatening, so we headed north with nice views of the lake. It soon started to rain lightly and our tops eventually went up.

The plan was to head west once we hit Ticonderoga. But I could see in the mountains that it was raining to the west. So we headed for clearer weather to Crown Point. Unfortunately, the main road to Crown Point had traffic and some construction, so we were not moving at anything that might be considered a brisk pace. But we arrived at the fort and got out to stretch our legs. We stayed there for about half an hour as I gave Griffin a quick history lesson and then he and Andy went up to see the ruins.

Once it was time to move on, we took a quick trip across the bridge into Vermont, then U-Turned back into New York. We headed toward Ironville. By now the rain had stopped. We cruised along the back roads eventually hitting the Ensign Pond Road were we had to stop twice to let slow traffic get ahead and eventually the Tracey Road. We were mostly moving along at a nice pace, but nothing crazy.

By now it was early afternoon, so we stopped at a roadhouse just outside of Elizabethtown for lunch. I was worried that Griffin was getting bored, and suggested that we cut the drive short. Andy agreed, but perhaps, in his heart, he wanted to do more. In any event, we stopped in town for some groceries and ice cream and headed to Camp 6 on Lincoln Pond. By now it was maybe 3:30 to 4:00 p.m. and with the weather, I thought the fish might be biting Besides, as we arrived at the pond, I saw a guy with a pretty good size fish.

Once we got organized, we got the boat and tried our hand at fishing. The pond has a lot of weeds, but we were going to try trolling in a channel in front of the camp. On the first cast, Griffin caught a large chain pickerel. Actually, it's probably the largest fist we ever caught in 17 years on the pond. I think I was more excited than him, and we weren't quite prepared, but eventually got the fish on shore where we could take a few pictures. The fish was at least 26 inches long, maybe 27 or 28.

After that, we fished a little more, but although we had hits, we didn't catch anything.

Once we came in, I got out the BB guns and had a shooting competition with Griffin. I think he liked the BB guns, because he kept trying to kill the coffee can after I went inside for a beer.

Andy and Griffin stayed over night, leaving on Sunday morning. Sunday was nice and sunny and I directed them across the Adirondacks for their trip home.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice account of the drive El Jefe. Glad you guys had fun and Andy’s son set the fishing record at Lincoln Pond.

And your car was clean when you arrived to watkins glen. Did you wash it in the morning before heading out? Didn’t seem like the rain did much to the car so I assume you washed it.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the nice write-up Jeff, saved me from doing it, besides I really had no idea where we were or what roads we were on, it was all new to me. I have been to Old Forge, Long Lake and the Lake Placid/Whiteface Mt. areas several times but never the eastern part of the Adirondack park. I already knew there were many great roads in the park and this new territory did not disappoint. I would liken them to the great 'twisties' out West, just not as frequent or long.
Here is another shot outside of the restaurant where we had lunch.

And another angle of Griffin's trophy catch, sorry about your thumb Jeff!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Ospreys were great hosts and I hope to do this drive again next year, hopefully it will be dry and more S2000's will attend, as in those pics posted by Mark355! At least the Adirondacks are fairly close to me so I can always go exploring them in my limited free time.

P.S. Jeff, what no mention of Anne of Green Gables?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff is a great host as I found out a couple of years ago when I came up for the Levi drive and it had to canceled till Sunday. I had to be back home Sunday so Jeff took me around to all the great roads Saturday, just him and me, and we had a great day.