New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

new cars need alignment

Old 01-12-2002, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new cars need alignment

Just a heads-up for those who don't have their car yet - have the car aligned before driving it off the lot and get the alignment sheet to verify it. My car's alignment was all over the map when I got it but didn't know 'cause I didn't have it checked until those expensive tires started showing significantly different wear patterns. The car drove perfectly with those settings so I had no real feedback suggesting problems.

My suggested starting points (for street use with some autocrossing):

0 toe front - 1/4" total toe-in rear
6 deg. caster
-1.0 deg. camber front - -2.0 deg. rear

The new set of tires is wearing pretty evenly with these settings. Camber is at the negative end of range for the factory specs.

I used almost 1/2" rear toe-in this past year and that made the car feel a bit twitchy - didn't seem to want to track perfectly straight. Nothing severe, even on long trips, just a slightly unsettled feeling. Whether it made a difference autocrossing, I don't know - I was looking for a little more stability from the rear given that the rear tires were narrow relative to the fronts (that front-to-rear width issue is very real - the stock tires have a 1.5" difference while any other tire's 2-size difference is more like 0.5"). I spun a few times on course.

If you are going for total performance, use 1/8" front toe-out and -1.5 deg. front camber and -2.5 deg. rear. You'll experience tire wear. Road course use may well dictate -2.0 deg. front camber or more if you can get it. You may need to reduce caster to gain camber. Autocrossers are generally concerned with oversteer and inside rear tire lift while road racers seem to always complain about understeer.

Note that this is for the stock front sway bar. Changing sway bars is nearly mandatory for autocrossers (some insist it IS mandatory but I maintain you can still have a lot of fun with the stock bar - you'll just be slower and will need to drive tidier). Now that I have my Comptech adjustable bar, I just need a nice warm(ish) day so I can put it on in the driveway (no garage). Huge-ass changes in front roll stiffness may dictate some rear toe-out but personally I think people are trying too hard if they get to that point.

Chris, I know yer lurking out there - what alignment were you using and what do you plan on this year with the new bar?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:54 PM

Nice post Jeff.
I'm not sure if I'm going to work Holtz on this issue or if I'm just going to get the car and run, to Ontario where I have been very happy with service for 5+ years. I suspect Holtz will do nothing more than set it to factory spec as a 'free' service to a new car purchase, where as Ontario will set it to what ever I decide is going to be my starting point.
One thing is for sure, based upon what I have learned here, my new car will be checked and fixed because being out of alignment seems to be a common issue.
Good heads up, I'll thank you for all those who don't!
So how is the shopping going for that new MB for the wife???
Old 01-16-2002, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H

So how is the shopping going for that new MB for the wife???
Too many other things to spend money on right now. The car may have to wait for a year...

Oh, well, mine's already in the driveway...
Old 01-16-2002, 04:41 AM

I wonder if anybody who has bought a new S2000 has made their dealer do an alignment for free as part of the dealer prep for a new car.
Anybody?
Old 01-23-2002, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, but you can insist they check it - some dealers do it as part of the p.d.i. process (audi).

regards.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:52 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
I wonder if anybody who has bought a new S2000 has made their dealer do an alignment for free as part of the dealer prep for a new car.
Anybody?
I've been asking this question, too, with no satisfactory answer. How costly would it be for the dealer in terms of time to check the alignment as part of the PDI? (In other words, how likely are they to agree to check it without prior indication of a problem?) I'd like to have it added to the Dealer Letter if it's a reasonable request.

If noone else has any good input, I'll let everyone know what happens when I ask my dealer to check this (sometime next month when I get a build date & send them my letter).

JonasM
Old 01-23-2002, 06:26 AM

JonasM,

typically, an alignment only takes an hour to actually DO.

just to rig up the car and get a printout isn't more than 15-20 minutes.

absolutely insist they do it if it will provide you with a level of comfort/peace of mind knowing that the alignment is spot on.

regards.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks, I'll add it to my Dealer Letter and see what they say. If it's at most an hour to properly check and adjust, it may not be a big deal for them. My dealer is pretty nice and understanding of S2000 owner's 'idiosyncrasies' so this may actually fly....

I'll keep you all posted....

JonasM
Old 01-23-2002, 09:30 AM

JonasM - We are almost the same schedule by the sounds of it. I'm February allotment, April delivery.
Please keep us posted on how you make out with this request because I suspect you will be getting your car before I get mine! And good luck.

I have yet to mention the alignment check but it will be something I ask for. If they say no I will be taking my car to the other Honda dealer, the one that will be doing all my service work, and have them do it.

What does PDI stand for?
Old 01-23-2002, 09:57 AM

Pre Delivery Inspection

Quick Reply: new cars need alignment