New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

New to NY (Finger Lake region): emissions?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to NY (Finger Lake region): emissions?

Just retired from the military and moved with my family near Conesus Lake just south of Rochester and I'm looking for a place that will help me inspect/pass my MY00 SSM that is SCed with AEM EMS and heh, straight exhaust. Anybody point me in the right direction? Willing to drive to Rochester or Buffalo if need be. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the Upstate forums.
There is a shop outside of Naples called Middleton Tire. If your car will pass being plugged into the OBD computer thingy (comm. direct with Albany), no CEL, they will pass you. I used to take my S there when I lived out that way, and they never even pulled a wheel or looked underneath it.
Are you new to NY inspection? It's not quite like, for example CA smog/emissions. I would just avoid dealerships for an inspection, they are really looking for something wrong to get more money out of you.
Good luck!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome, you sure picked a nice area to live.
Levi
Old 07-24-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful driving roads there. enjoy
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by saving4one
Welcome to the Upstate forums.
There is a shop outside of Naples called Middleton Tire. If your car will pass being plugged into the OBD computer thingy (comm. direct with Albany), no CEL, they will pass you. I used to take my S there when I lived out that way, and they never even pulled a wheel or looked underneath it.
Are you new to NY inspection? It's not quite like, for example CA smog/emissions. I would just avoid dealerships for an inspection, they are really looking for something wrong to get more money out of you.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately with AEM EMS (complete standalone), their OBDII reader won't get any response back from the computer, and with my straight exhaust it wouldn't even come close to passing a normal sniffer test.

Thanks for the warm welcome also. I'm not much of a car meet person but I really do love getting out and enjoying a nice drive. No shortage of nice roads to cruise around down here, that's for sure. :-)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomb Squad
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately with AEM EMS (complete standalone), their OBDII reader won't get any response back from the computer, and with my straight exhaust it wouldn't even come close to passing a normal sniffer test.
NYS does not sniff cars, at least Upstate, but they will need to connect to the OBD port and download the data to Albany. They are also supposed to do a visual on the emissions equipment, but are usually happy if no codes pop up.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As a fellow AEM user - you are screwed.
Your options are:

A. Convert to Hondata which passes the plug in
B. Make friends with another same year S2000 that passes the plug in, make friends with a repair shop, plug your ECU into said S2000, have shop scan your registration while the other S2000 is plugged in. Allegedly the dmv computer can see the VIN coded in the ECU hence the preference of your own ECU being used. Also allegedly this can be over ridden where you do not need to plug in your own ECU
C. Register car out of state South Dakota and Florida are most frequently used
D. Ride around with the white temp the DMV issues you when you first reg the car (expired) pay fine if you get stopped. Note you will not be able to renew your reg.

Welcome to NY!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Yep, was highly modified and had the same problem. I switched to hondata ( not cheap ) and breezed thru inspections.

Welcome to NY and thank you for your service!

Also, come join us here for a great time! If interested you need to register right now as there is a limit on the number of cars.
http://www.grandprixfestival.com/marque.html
Old 07-30-2018, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the replies! Really didn't want to switch to Hondata but if I want to keep my S for a while and drive it, I may not have much choice. Either that or put the stock ECU/injectors/MAP, remove SC drive belt, put cat back in, drive for a few days and then pass.

Stupid emissions. Only 6.5 more years till the car doesn't need to pass these tests anymore....
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Hi, I recently bought a year 2000 AP1 which came with a Hondata Kpro. I just went to inspect the car and the shop told me that it got flagged by the Inspection computer and asked me if I had changed ECUs. I am thinking that the VIN in the Kpro ECU did not match the VIN of the car itself. I've read that there is a way of changing the VIN on Kpro but have been poking around for a while in the KManager software with no luck. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply: New to NY (Finger Lake region): emissions?