New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

New Owner

Old 02-10-2002, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Just wanted to add my name to the list of s2000 owners here in upstate NY. Just got my new silver/black last weekend. It's killing me having sit in the garage, but after almost going off the road a couple of nights ago because of the snow, I decided to play it safe.

Can't wait for spring!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! How long did you have to wait between deciding to buy and picking it up?

I drive mine on the streets during the winter but only if there's no snow on the road. I had a '90 Integra with the stock hi-perf tires on it and nearly died in it trying to maintain control in snow. Within a month I had a set of steel wheels and new tires for the winter. Some folks do mount snow tires and drive in the snow with no realproblems. The big thing is to remember that it's a RWD car - many folks have only FWD experience.

So, whatcha gonna do with the car come warm weather?
Old 02-11-2002, 03:11 PM

I've been looking at the s2000 for the last year or so, and almost bought one in September, but decided to wait for the new year. I then went by the local dealership in Jan, and saw a 2002, and 2001 together. They wanted sticker for the 2002, and were 'willing' to sell me the '01 at 30K. At the time I thought it was a great deal and put a deposit down. I convinced myself that the glass window thing was not that big a deal.
I then went on this board and found a lot of information. How much of a pain taking care of the plastic window was, and what cars were going for. There's a dealer in Boston who was selling a '01 for 28k. I gave my dealer a call back, and he was willing to negotiate, but right before I picked up the car, I decided I wanted the new year. I called around using info picked up here, and was able to find a silver/black, the colors that I wanted, in Vermont.

I have a 40 mile commute 2x/week in beautiful back country roads here in Cooperstown, and can't wait. Do the guys up here get together once in a while for group drives?
Old 02-12-2002, 04:09 AM

This group just got started and we've had no real get-togethers yet. Right now, several folks are aiming at the Angry Salamander up Toronto way in July...
Old 02-12-2002, 04:34 AM

Welcome BCentee!

Congrats on your car! I understand the pressure of waiting. My '02 Spa is due 4/15. I have lusted after this car since 1995. I too was back and forth between an '01 and an '02. I too decided the '02 was the way to go! Silver/black, very nice.

As jguerdat indicated we as an Upstate group are just starting to get organized. As the warm temps return and the cars come out from under their blankies, we will be getting together often, at least that is my hope!

Please check out the Toronto forum and the Angry Salamander forum and learn more about this great event that is upcoming in Canada. As jguerdat indicated it is 7/6 and we plan to have a blast.

Get your passport or birth certificate ready; we're going to Canada to tame the Angry Salamander.

When you post on the Angry Salamander forum, tell Mindcore and DoGMan Triple-H sent ya!
Old 02-12-2002, 03:08 PM

TripleH,

I saw a previous thread which discusses your recent purchase in Boston. Is that a done deal? Cuz if not, there's a good deal that's closer if you're not already commited. Even bigger savings without an airline ticket. Just thought I would help if I could.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:29 PM

BCentee - The Boston deal is our friend tea-man, and his deal is something like $1,300 below MSRP. My deal may not be the lowest going but I am very happy and with all I have done to torture my salesperson and I am sticking with my deal.

So what is the better deal? Please share, you never know who is reading.

My deal is on an '02 Spa with 2 options. My price includes both the hardtop and the black chrome installed. The deal is $34,884. Nobody will test-drive my car except the mechanic I have approved. There will be no dealer stickers on it, I will be called the day it arrives for an initial inspection, the list of things the dealer is to do has already been reviewed so I am not expecting surprises at pickup time like spring spaces still left in.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:24 AM

My local dealer in Oneonta was willing to sell a '02 spa yellow for 30,100. Unfortunately I really wanted the silver and was willing to pay a few hundred more and purchased the car from a Vermont dealer. The car has been in the showroom for the last 2 weeks, and this is a dealer reluctant to let anyone test drive their cars.

Your deal sounds comparable anyway. I'm still suprised at how dealers in Syracuse and Albany are still very adamant about selling at sticker. I know a dealer in Syracuse was stuck with 4 '01 for a long time because of that policy. Although now that I own one, I kinda hope they keep it as long as they can to inflate our cars value.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:09 AM

30.1K for an '02 is a great deal, better than mine, but I'm okay with my deal because I have had a lot of fun during my shopping experience, it is very close to me, and there are still a few things I'm working on to make my deal even better.

I was looking at the map last night, just so you know, you are not too far away from Testut- Ithaca and EricN- Beaver Dam, and all three of you already have cars!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 04:31 AM

BCentee......congratulations.....Triple H was close to the price I got mine for in Boston....31500.00....like him I am happy with the deal...best of all, everything was done through either the phone, fax or fed ex....never had to go through the face to face dealer agony....Can't say enough for the salesman at Cambridge Honda, he never once played any head games. Once the price was established...that was it...nothing more!! Also, nice choice of color, I also chose Sebring silver and black!!! Thirty days to go until I drive it home!!!!

Quick Reply: New Owner