New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Passed a Moving Trooper and didn't get Busted

Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed a Moving Trooper and didn't get Busted

Of course he was following a snow plow and only going 30mph on the highway. Still took me 5 mins before I got impatient enough to blow by him. Was on route from Ellicotville to North Creek durring Saturday blizzard. Smooth is fast and the only way to keep truck on road.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:28 PM

This is what you should be thinking as you pass the trooper in the giving conditions you described...

1. As you pass him, you are not exceeding the posted speed limit.
2. Your speed (even though it's slower than the posted speed limit) is safe (as far as what the officer thinks) for the given conditions. Otherwise, I'm sure he can stop you for driving at un-safe speed - regardless if it's slower than the speed limit.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM

My question is "what vehicle" were you in. I know that some of us (Jeff) like to punish our cars with salt and snow. Me, I'm all about leaving the snow to 4 wheel drive or a rear wheel beater you don't mind bouncing off a snow bank...
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who, me?

RWD and lovin' it. The all-seasons aren't as good as snows but rather commendable given that I don't try to drive through unplowed 12+ inches of snow...

I get to have year 'round fun!!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 AM

Had kids at ski race in Ellicottville on Saturday and had to get to Gore Mtn. for Sunday Ski Race. Only took 7 hours with 2 stops in Blizzard. Car is a my04 Toyota 6cyl 4-runner in Black, equiped with a V1 and Roof rack loaded with 4 teenagers, gear, & 5 pair of race skis adding 150lbs to the roof. Average speed thur the snow was 65mph. When I came upon the rare car to pass the only way I could tell there was anything in front of me was the smell of the fumes and a big black snow filled hole. Could not see any running/ break lights. Had a plow pull a 3 lane change in front of me and the abs worked great, traction control worked at the slower speeds but would not kick in at highway speeds when things got squirly. Tires are Cooper wintermasters on steel rims from the tire rack and are in there 2nd season with over 20000 miles on them.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Jan 25 2005, 11:23 AM
equiped with a V1 and Roof rack loaded with 4 teenagers.
That's why I don't have kids. No roof rack!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Jan 25 2005, 10:23 AM
...Roof rack loaded with 4 teenagers, gear, & 5 pair of race skis...
How did you get them to stay up there?!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 AM

Ice Cream
Old 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Nice!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Jan 25 2005, 10:23 AM
Had kids at ski race in Ellicottville on Saturday and had to get to Gore Mtn. for Sunday Ski Race. Only took 7 hours with 2 stops in Blizzard. Car is a my04 Toyota 6cyl 4-runner in Black, equiped with a V1 and Roof rack loaded with 4 teenagers, gear, & 5 pair of race skis adding 150lbs to the roof. Average speed thur the snow was 65mph. When I came upon the rare car to pass the only way I could tell there was anything in front of me was the smell of the fumes and a big black snow filled hole. Could not see any running/ break lights. Had a plow pull a 3 lane change in front of me and the abs worked great, traction control worked at the slower speeds but would not kick in at highway speeds when things got squirly. Tires are Cooper wintermasters on steel rims from the tire rack and are in there 2nd season with over 20000 miles on them.
Bragging about putting the lives of innocent teenagers at risk, and teaching them how not to drive in the snow .... smart ... not.
I couldn't just pass this by, save a life it may be yours, your child's or someone's else's child and slow it down, so your a little late.
I drive in all types of conditions and adjust my speed accordingly, I have lost count of the 4X4's and AWD's that fly by and are in a ditch a few miles up the road, then think how late you would have been for a ski race, if no one was injured.
4X4 doesn't make your Toy stop any better.
I'm SORRY I don't mean to bash you, but think, I have seen the aftermath and it's not pretty

Quick Reply: Passed a Moving Trooper and didn't get Busted