New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Shiv's TT Journey

Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shiv's TT Journey

Hey everyone, as the track season is nearly upon us I thought to chronicle my TT build and preliminary season as well. I decided last year that I wanted to start competing with the s2k somehow and figured TT would be a quick way into the scene. At the end of last season I believed I had build the car to full NASA TTC spec. As it turns out, I had not. I had installed and tested the following:

APR Wing
5 inch splitter
HKS SP Coilovers
K&N Intake
Mishimoto Radiator/ Fan Shroud
Whiteline Front Swaybar
Enkei RPF1 Wheels +45
Some body work front/rear to accommodate wider wheels/tires

But as the aero package came together, the rear wing was overpowering the splitter and the result was severe understeer. I'm talking a wrx at autocross understeer. So this caused me to readjust my mods to remain in TTC but have a balanced package (more on that later). I also wanted to address the lack of any safety gear outside of the roll bar. I also wanted to take the opportunity to further improve the on track reliability and cooling of the car. Another aspect I will be tackling is how to bring slicks to the track. My original plan of having a truck to tow the car has fallen apart. However I found an aluminum trailer kit that seems like it will fit the bill for hauling tires and tools with ease. Since the weather is starting to warm up, I hope to start wrenching on the car in the next couple of weeks. The first track event I have is the April event at Palmer with Rud Motorsports. I hope to have all the mods completed to be able to test the car fully before my licensing school/first TT event.

Lookie at what the mail man brung!

Science of Speed Sport 325 Clutch

First thing to arrive was the clutch along with a stainless clutch line, new oem throwout and pilot bearing. Why this clutch? Because the pressure plate is RED! The reason for going with the SOS unit is that it will give me ample capacity in the future for power upgrades . But another reason is that to my recollection, SOS contracted the OEM disc manufacturer for the construction of the disc in this kit. And SOS had a super solid rep for quality parts, so I don't foresee any issue (then again, most never do). Kinda bummed I didn't get a SOS sticker

Driver Seat- Sparco Pro ADV

Here's what I picked out for the driver seat. Why you may ask? FIA certified, I fit in it, it fits in the car, holes for 6 point harness, and halo support so if/when I crash again, my noggin will be really protected. Plus my 13 year old ricer self had a thing for anything labeled Sparco, so I had to make that little guy happy. I actually never sat in this seat prior to ordering, just hoped and prayed and thankfully it worked out. Very nice fit, and the harness holes are placed above the shoulders for me (I'm a little on the taller side). I'm currently approx a 33 inch waist, but could definitely put on a few more inches and still fit in the seat, in case anybody was wondering. Once again, kinda bummed it didn't come with a Sparco sticker . It is a race car after all, and race cars need stickers!

I have several more deliveries coming in this and next week. I'll post up as they come, and I will do posts of the multiple installs as well. Thanks for reading guys, hope you enjoy it, and hope to see you all throughout the year!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Thats all fine and dandy, but did you make sure I can fit in that seat??

J/K - cool beans Shiv. Good luck TT maestro of the North East
Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

looking good
Old 03-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the car was not to NASA TTC spec?

Mike
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
What about the car was not to NASA TTC spec?

Mike
I definitely didn't word it correctly lol. It would have definitely met the guidelines of NASA to compete within TTC in terms of which mods I had on the car, but the setup was far from optimal and most likely would have resulted in a less than competitive car. Hoping to alleviate the massive understeer, and get more front end grip with my revisions.
Speaking of modifications, I received an unexpected delivery today:

Canton Pan. My new Blacktrax pan's welds all cracked after one season of use, so I opted for a more solid solution, and greater capacity (although I understand that I most likely will be dealing with a leaky pan ) Plus I could probably use that pre-fitted bung as a turbo oil return line in the future if I so choose to go down that road

Next item is a Mishimoto Oil cooler, I opted for the thermostatic model for quicker warm up. More to aid the reliability of the engine, and since the canton pan doesn't have any cooling fins like the stock pan. My Mishi rad has been rock solid since I installed it, so I decided to use Mishi once again. Quality seems rock solid, and in addition to the oil supply/return lines, the sandwich plate also has additional fittings for oil temp/pressure sensors.

Also on the list was Trackspec hood louvers. From my multiple readings, this should fulfill 2 primary and 1 secondary purpose. It should pull more heat from the rad and oil cooler for greater reliability of under hood components. But also based on how my splitter extends backward as much as it does, it supposedly helps alleviate front end lift and increases front net downforce (which I desperately need). And 3rd and most importantly in my ricer book, it'll look COOL! I will have to slice and dice the hood, but that doesn't bother me too much. Also as this is considered a cooling mod per TT rules, it won't ding me any points. Win win.

Finally, I got my passenger seat in. Opted for the Corbeau Forza Sport. Nothing special about this seat. FIA spec, can be used with a 6 point, and wasn't super expensive. Especially considering I don't expect the passenger side to be utilized all that much. The reason I bothered at all with the passenger side is that certain organizations want similar safety gear for both driver and passenger. And in the event I do have a passenger, I would like them to have a 6 point and FIA spec seat like myself. Definitely good value for what it cost.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
My original plan of having a truck to tow the car has fallen apart. However I found an aluminum trailer kit that seems like it will fit the bill for hauling tires and tools with ease.
You might want to get in touch with Billman. At Watkins last year he had a trailer that was just big enough for 4 tires and a tool kit.
No idea what his plans are, but at the time he mentioned that he planned on selling it this year.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Shiv - as soon as you get that Canton oil pan installed would you drive up to my shop once or twice, we have a terrible dust problem on our dirt road and we need it oiled to keep the neighbors happy.
drip
drip
drip
Old 03-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Now find yourself a hardtop.

I might have a extra Sparco sticker somewhere ..........
Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv

Also on the list was Trackspec hood louvers.

The Trackspec louvers are quality pieces. I picked up a pair for my kit car last month.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

It's too bad I can't see photos anymore on this site.

Billman had a pretty cool set up for his trailer. I think he had three, maybe four 3/8 or 1/2 inch clevis pins on the underside of the car. Then he had a fairly simple, probably homemade, frame for the trailer hitch. It seemed to be 1 inch or 1.5 inch square stock, maybe aluminium. It had holes drilled in to correspond to the pins. So he would pull the lock pin from the clevis (I don't know what it is officially called, straight on one side and B shaped on the other side) and drop the whole assembly to the ground. Then he had a lightweight trailer, say Northern Hydraulics or Harbor Freight, that was just big enough for his four tires.

Here is a possible link (of course, I can't see the pictures), although I think Billman had modified his design. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...lation-401126/

Quick Reply: Shiv's TT Journey