New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Tire change from hell...

Old 10-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire change from hell...

Because winter is going to be here soon and many of us use snow tires on whatever we drive during the winter, I thought I ought to post up what happened to me last Saturday at the Henrietta location of Dunn Tire.

My '05 Titan has 21,000 miles on it now and the 17" BFGs are shot. I looked at a lot of tire options staying within the standard 285/70-17 size as well as pricing out both mail order and then local balancing or a local tire store for everything. Because I really had to save some money, as the 2 cars have needed lots of tires this year I decided to try the Kumho KL78, and for price my local Dunn Tire store was the best option.

So, on Saturday morning while it was raining and cold outside I figured it would be the perfect time to go sit around and waste some time having the tires changed. Oh what a lousy day the Titan and I had...

I got there before they opened at 8:00 and at 10:00 my Titan finally went in. When I noticed it was no longer in the front parking lot I decided to take a walk around the outside of the building so I could see what they were doing. Well sure enough the Titan was jacked up and they were well under way with the mounting and balancing, AND THEN, to my complete horror this is what I saw.

Entire scrape showing dent near top

Close up of scrape showing all the way down to bare metal and pushed in

When they pulled the Titan into the service bay they cut the corner sharp and crashed the side of my truck into the concrete door opening.

Obviously they have agreed to pay for the repair at a body shop of my choice, but I'm so mad this happened. Now keep in mind this is not all they did...

The Kumho tires vibrate real bad at 60+ mph. As soon as I realized this I went back and they remounted and balanced them, and said the road force was not very even so they made it much better by remounting them. After the 2nd drive the Titan still vibrates and when I called them the guy said something like "yea, I was afraid of that. One of the tires has a much higher reading than I like to see.' But the dolt sent me out of the store without telling me this.

What's happening now? They have ordered a replacement KL78. I have an appointment to get an estimate done for the damage. I'm thinking of taking the Titan over to my original salesman and asking him to give me two trade-in values, 1 would be my truck prior to accident and 2 would be my truck after accident and body work repaired. I'm hoping the loss in value will be enough I can force this tire dealer into giving me the next best tire the Bridgestone Duelers for no more money than I paid for the Kumhos.

All in all, I should have just stayed home and watched the rain
Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 AM

The 1st estimate is in - $1,045.00

Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh man! Sorry to see that.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i woulda killed them.... seriously. wtf. personally, i wouldn;t let them near it again. deal directly with the manager. try to get $ refund, added to your body fix. good luck bro.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 AM

So terrible. I went there before with my S2000 and the guys were great, but I did have a friend with who works with them and bullshitted with the guy doing the work.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 AM

Over the years I have been in and out of the very same store so many times I can't even count, but never did I have an experience like this.

I just came back from Dorschel Body Shop, their estimate hits the scales at $1,185.00

My goal is to get an upgraded tire from the Kumho KL78 to the Bridgestone Revo Deulers, plus maybe even some degree of return on the money I have already paid, and of course full coverage of body work and rental car.

I have already pulled the phone number for Dunn Tire Corporate in Buffalo. Once I have all my facts and figures in I'll be calling there, at this point I have no desire to deal with the store manager because he has proven to be less than honorable in his approach to this whole purchase experience.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM

I feel for you, man that sucks....maybe you should tell them you want a 'New Bed' for your truck...no body filler ....the highest estimate would come from Vogel's Collision at 100 N Winton Rd (no doubt) ....but near you I recommend Austin-Spencer 2433 Brigh-Henr. Tl. Rd (talk to Allen Spencer)...Best of luck
Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've heard Vogel's does nice work. I've had great luck on several repair's at Hastings Collision. If you go to Hasting's, ask for Al DeBuono.

I know you don't want to go to Austin Spencer.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Double "O",Oct 31 2006, 01:49 PM
I recommend Austin-Spencer 2433 Brigh-Henr. Tl. Rd (talk to Allen Spencer)...Best of luck

:daggerthroughmyheart:

Not in a billion years...
Allen himself screwed me royal a couple of years ago.
If you want to see an example of their work take a notice of my orange colored hood on my beautiful Spa.
It's a long story, but I would caution anybody about going there.
This is why Mark replied as he did.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

That stinks Doug, hope it'll be fixed as good as new.

Quick Reply: Tire change from hell...