New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days - 2013

Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongo84
Are aftermarket hardtops allowed with the groups you guys usually run with it? The prices on OEMs one are getting crazy, and I don't want to use the one on my regular S. I'm still trying to locate a good deal on an OEM one but if not I will most likely be getting a replica one if they are allowed. Soft top is gutted and I will be installing a Harddog bar.

I'm yet to see anyone with an aftermarket Hardtop, but I assume those are allowed considering some groups allow the S2000 to run in stock trim.

Groups have different policies regarding convertibles and so it is always best to check with someone prior to registering for an incident. For example, SCCA Rule Book does not allow convertibles at track events unless they come equipped with a roll bar or a factory hardtop. But the local chapter in the Albany area will not let me in for their track days unless I have a roll cage + seats and harnesses.

If you have an OEM top, I think you should use it. Actually come to think of it, as you have the hard dog you probably wont need a hardtop for some groups as the roll bar may be considered protection enough.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
This morning, I came across the Victory Lane article about last year's Gold Cup. They had me running a 2:51.6 lap in the final race. Although I finished "First in Class", I was runnng almost dead last - and I certainly didn't think I was going that fast.

Jeff how does the lap time compare to the other cars (from other classes) in the race?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

SCDA announces 2013 Calendar - Jeff, perhaps you want to add these dates to the calendar in your original post

http://www.scda1.com/blogs/bd/2012/1...-January.EXL./

2013 SCDA Dates:

3/23 SAT Lime Rock Park (9 AM to 1 PM) *Experienced Only
4/8 MON Lime Rock Park Featured Marque TBA
5/2 THU Lime Rock Park Featured Marque TBA
5/30 THU Lime Rock Park
6/3 MON New Hampshire Featured Marque TBA
6/13 THU Lime Rock Park
6/24 MON New Jersey – Lightning Featured Marque TBA
6/25 TUE New Jersey – Thunderbolt Featured Marque TBA
7/1 MON Lime Rock Park Featured Marque TBA
7/8 MON Watkins Glen Featured Marque TBA
7/9 TUE Watkins Glen Featured Marque TBA
7/15 MON Lime Rock Park
7/30 TUE Lime Rock Park (1-6 PM) Unmuffled *Experienced Only
8/19 MON New Hampshire Featured Marque TBA
8/26 MON Lime Rock Park Featured Marque TBA
9/9 MON New Jersey – Lightning Featured Marque TBA
9/10 TUE New Jersey – Thunderbolt Featured Marque TBA
9/19 THU Lime Rock Park
9/30 MON New Hampshire Featured Marque TBA
10/21 MON Lime Rock Park
10/26 SAT Lime Rock Park - (1-6 PM) *Experienced Only
11/2 SAT Lime Rock Park - (1-6 PM) *Experienced Only

Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Aashish: Done

Mongo84: Are you Mike? If not, introduce yourself.

NASA NE and SCDA will allow you to track the S in stock form.

I sit rather upright, and when I was at Watkins Glen with SCDA in 2011, I was sticking up over the plane of the roll hoop and windshield. I had to adjust the seat to slouch down a bit, and I put up the convertible top to mask any further encroachment. I since put in a lowered seat rail (it doesn't help much) and continued to run with the top up.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

dammit, no spring date at WGI
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ For Mongo, be sure to check with your local SCCA chapter. Not all groups are against convertibles. I met a member from the NE region SCCA at Lime Rock who found it strange that my local chapter would not allow me to run the S2000 with hardtop.

Also check with BMW CCA in your region. Some chapters will absolutely not allow convertibles (even their own), but others will allow them in when equipped with harnesses and roll bar. Similarly check with PCA, they will let S2000's in if there are any spots left after their members have signed up.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy

hmm!! you must really want to visit there in the spring.

Just see if there is another group that is running there.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
^ For Mongo, be sure to check with your local SCCA chapter. Not all groups are against convertibles. I met a member from the NE region SCCA at Lime Rock who found it strange that my local chapter would not allow me to run the S2000 with hardtop.

Also check with BMW CCA in your region. Some chapters will absolutely not allow convertibles (even their own), but others will allow them in when equipped with harnesses and roll bar. Similarly check with PCA, they will let S2000's in if there are any spots left after their members have signed up.
Mike
I think we corresponded about your seats correct? If you got your seats from HMS contact Joe there. He is up in the Boston BMW hierarchy. He will be able to tell you if you are in or out. your rool bar/seat/harness combo will help with some groups. So far I have been o.k. with Boston BMW, NEQ and NAAC (Audi) and SCDA. Never been to PCA but know a BMW guy who enjoys running with them. Greg G runs with other groups too but he is fully caged so that probably gives him much more leeway. I can try to find out from him what groups/rules/contacts apply and post em up or have him refer to this thread for us. Love to see all the S interest in tracking bubbling up!
Paul
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy' timestamp='1355246730' post='22203486

hmm!! you must really want to visit there in the spring.

Just see if there is another group that is running there.
Running in July, at least in the past, was the same week as the WG Wine Festival so no garage space.

Parking on a black parking lot in the middle of July isn't exactly ideal for humans or for cooling the car.

Problem with another group is now I'm a novice again and have to deal with an instructor.

Quick Reply: Track Days - 2013