New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Sad news today.

Word that my spare engine died. Suffered a broken crankshaft on the back straight at VIR in Saturday's small bore SVRA Gold Cup race.

We were good pals for 7 seasons. Not expecting to ever see it again, except for a few stripped parts. Goodbye old cast iron friend. At least you died at high rpms.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Was Dave Nicholas running that engine or was it someone else? Do you plan to acquire another engine so you have a backup?

Also have you reclaimed possession of the S2000 or is it still being wielded by the good doctor? If you have it back we should try to get a day in together. Shiv thinks he can do LRP end of October with SCDA. Perhaps we can all try to do that. It’s a half day session from 1 to 5 but with 4 full sessions. The morning will be a car control clinic where I’ll be instructing
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 PM

Aashish, I lent the engine to my friend Eric Russell who was racing it at VIR.

I think the crankshaft just let go - after all, it was only about 55 years old. I saw a few pictures, and it doesn't look so, so bad. Bent rod, but maybe the pistons and bores are generally OK. Eric's taking it apart. We may be able to revive it with a replacement crankshaft and connecting rods - assuming we can get them.

I'm racing the MGA Friday & Saturday at Lime Rock. I might even try to bring the Volvo up for some "exhibition" runs - but that involves a lot of running back & forth.

I picked up the S2000 last night - dusty and with an empty tank. Now at home, but despite being dusty, I had to cover for some protection because the leaves and acorns above the driveway are in free fall.

I have a tight October. Not sure I can get out.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM

Aashish, I watched your 4th run with Patroon BMWCCA.

What makes you think you were running in "advanced"?

Anyway, after the dangers of rear ending the boys in front was over, you moved along quite nicely. Looked very fast. I was surprised you didn't lap them.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Aashish, I watched your 4th run with Patroon BMWCCA.

What makes you think you were running in "advanced"?

Anyway, after the dangers of rear ending the boys in front was over, you moved along quite nicely. Looked very fast. I was surprised you didn't lap them.
My instructor didn't seem to think so either. My evaluation seems to have gone backwards

I was called out politely for a lack of situational awareness but I knew I was safe braking where I was. He didn't seem to realize that the most I hit was 106 MPH and it would take less to haul the car down to an acceptable speed for Turn 1 as opposed to driving a Corvette or an M3 which is probably going about 140 MPH.

At the last event and this one, I was told if I braked right then I would not need to accelerate past the apex for T1 towards track out. However that clashes with how I do Turn 1. I need to slow down the car to bring it closer into the apex, and then I have accelerate to the track out where I lift to get the car turned towards T2.

Stephan seems to be driving much the same and he was the one that told me I should treat Big Bend as two distinct corners

Old 09-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tires were getting greasy and worn by the end of the 2 day event, but anyways managed a bunch of 2:18.xx and got this one on camera so I figured I'd share with all.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some much better laps at LRP running 1.01s

-Mike

Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM

Had a nice day at the track Friday. Car was running very well, although maybe a little rich. Weather was cool and sunny. Ran rather fast, all things considered. In the final race, I started immediately behind my Nemesis on the grid, fell far behind in traffic and he was soon out of sight. After about 10 laps, he was back in view and I slowly clawed my way back. On the 13th lap, he got into lapping traffic and I was now close. I managed to pass him on lap 14 and easily hold him off to the finish.

I'm normally happy with 1:15 lap times, but my Mojo was working and I ran a few laps in the lower 1:12s. I'm sure he was "spitting mad" over the fact that I reeled him in. I wasn't able to rub it in though, because I went to help another MGA racer. We pulled the oil pan and I never imagined so much metal and shavings. Obviously, his engine was toast.

Blew my video. Front camera was apparently set to time lapse. So I have three 20 minute races down to about 1 minute.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Glad you had a great race. Who is this other MG A racer? EMRA is running an event at LRP next weekend from 1 PM onwards. Considering doing that as they run an 86 Cup.

Mike - great laps

Anf everyone don’t forget to watch Greg’s race at 3:40 PM today. Go to scca website and you’ll find links to video.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:08 AM

I had another good run at Lime Rock on Saturday. I fell far back at the start trying to pass a slow Morgan. It took a while and then I was all by myself. I kept plugging away at trying to run smooth laps and eventually my Nemesis came into view, running in a pack but falling back. I didn't close the gap until his pack started to lap slower traffic. I made up some ground with a 1:12:84 lap. He was within range when the start tower showed the hangman's noose indicating one lap to go. I still had some ground to make up though, and thought I just might be able to catch him at the finish line if I could get a decent run out of the Downhill. Out of the Downhill, I'm about 5 car lengths behind. I make up 4, but he beats me by that last car length. That was my best lap for the session at 1:12.47.

I was looking forward to the next race. Running well in traffic at the start. But at the kink on the back straight, I'm at about 6,000 rpm and as I go to shift up to 4th. Bang! as I push the clutch in. Something major is broken. I coast in neutral up to and in the Uphill chicane. Rpms go straight to zero and there is a lot of noise until I drive over the rumble strip and things quite down. Flat tow into the paddock after the race is ended. I'm done! Get some guys and we push the car up onto the trailer.

The sound seemed to come from the back of the engine, and I lie to myself saying that maybe it was the clutch that flew apart. Thinking (wishful) that maybe pieces got stuck between the flywheel and the bell housing. But yesterday evening, I push the car into the garage, remove the radiator and fan and put a wrench on the dog nut at the front of the engine. It doesn't want to rotate.

So it seems that I broke my crankshaft and who knows what other damage.