New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Shiv - although you’re much younger than I am, I really admire your spirit in the face of this setback. I’d be equally livid but am sure I’d lack the composure you’re displaying. So props to you for that. Glad you’re thinking about fixing it up and running it next season.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Default Flat tires at Palmer

Not sure if you guys recall the time I had a flat at Palmer. Couldn’t find what caused it but there was a hole that needed a plug.

When i I was there over the weekend with BMWCCA, there were two cars that had flats. The guy in the Mini parked next to me lost air in both left side tires. It was down to like 14 psi. He put air in the tires and was fine. Think he may have rolled the tire to the point that it opened the bead and let out air.

I was reading a post on FB that someone had another flat at yesterday’s SCDA event. One of the guys in the paddock seemed to think it was the sharp stones they have all over the paddock area moreso than anything on track.

The safest thing to do IMO is to carry an extra tire or better yet carry another set of tires if you can. The repair shops in town close early on Saturday and are closed on Sundays. Also better if you rent a garage so you don’t have to park on the unpaved areas.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by A 2
So for the first time ever, I made an effort to mark my calendar on my phone for the events I plan to do. Usually I tend to Forrest Gump my way through a season. I'd like to hit all of these events if time, scheduling and money allows me to do so

April 9th - Tire Rack Street Survival
April 22 & April 23 - Evo School in Rochester
April 24th - SCDA Car Control Clinic
April 27th - RUD at Palmer
April 30th - MoHud Points Event 1

May 5th - TNiA at Palmer
May 8th & May 9th - Patroon BMW CCA at Watkins Glen
May 20th - Chin at Palmer

June 4th - MoHud Points Event 2
June 25th - MoHud Points Event 3
June 29th - SCDA Car Control Clinic

July 17th & July 18th - SCDA at Watkins Glen
July 23rd - MoHud Points Event 4
July 29th - Patroon BMW at Lime Rock

August 13th - MoHud Points Event 5
August 14th - SCDA Car Control Clinic
August 27th - MoHud Points Event 6

September 23rd - Patroon BMW at Lime Rock

October 1st - MoHud Points Event 7
October 14th & 15th - Patroon BMW at Palmer
October 28th - SCDA Car Control Clinic
Those were my planned events for the year. In addition, I did the following:
September 7th and 8th - SCDA at Club Motorsports
October 7th - EMRA Time Trials at Lime Rock

I spent 15 days on track this season counting the SCDA car control clinics (except for the one thats on 10/28). Granted I did not run full sessions, but I ran a session or two each time I was at the CCC so it counts towards track time. I missed 1 autocross event this season and also missed instructing at TRSS. This has to be the most I've ever been on track and I am pretty sure I won't be in a position to repeat it next year.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I spent 15 days on track this season counting the SCDA car control clinics ... . I missed 1 autocross event this season and also missed instructing at TRSS. This has to be the most I've ever been on track and I am pretty sure I won't be in a position to repeat it next year.

As for me, I did 7 vintage race weekends in the MGA, plus three track days in the S2000. I think that makes a total of 20 days, because some of the race weekends were 3 day events. I ran Lime Rock, Palmer, Watkins Glen, Thompson, Summit Point and Lightning. There were many more that I missed. It wasn't always pretty; and of course, I blew an engine in the process. In hindsight, I suppose a successful season.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think this was a very lite year for me as well, only 34 days. Actually my 2nd best season, with my best being 36 days..

HPDE - 12 days
Sebring in Feb - 2 days.
I did make it to Palmer 7 times (maybe once more next week), I did only only 2 LRP, and one day at Thompson.

Racing - 16 days
I did 7 Majors w/e and two were Hoosier SUper Tours (4 days on track instead of 2)

Runoffs - 6 days
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

i take my hat off to you guys. That’s pure dedication
Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Put your Big Boy suit on and lets go racing.

Originally Posted by shiv
Clocked 2:13, on track to shave some more time off and then a mustang drove into me at turn 1. His excuse? He forgot that he gave me a point by. Yeaaaaahhh. Destroyed the rear wheel, jacked up the over fender and quarter panel, and added a bunch of scratches. Im okay but car is jacked up. Outside of the messed up alignment, something else may have been bent as it took 4 of us, a breaker bar and a hammer to get the hitch to get back onto the chassis. Crappy way to end as i was looking to shave some more time off. But this is the name of the game, and as far as crashes go this was not bad. Time to fix the thing and make it faster.
SHIV,

Might be time to put a full cage in the car and come out and do some w2w with me and stop fooling around with those clowns at TT..

2:13 would have put you in 8th place during the Hoosier Super Tour race, with guys that finished on the Podium at Indy.

Race 2 results from Watkins Glen Hoosier Super Tour. Long Course.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
SHIV,

Might be time to put a full cage in the car and come out and do some w2w with me and stop fooling around with those clowns at TT..

2:13 would have put you in 8th place during the Hoosier Super Tour race, with guys that finished on the Podium at Indy.

Race 2 results from Watkins Glen Hoosier Super Tour. Long Course.
Wowza, this is news to me. But you're right, the w2w bug has been itching for long enough and its time it got scratched with a 12 gauge! Plans are already in motion to obtain a better s2k as a starting point for w2w. My black car will be relegated as a parts car, and eventually (hopefully) a v8 swap candidate. Ill bug you one of these days about classes.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

So after, I saw Greg's post, I decided to see how I stack up in T4 at Watkins Glen. 15-16 seconds off of the pace. With the times I am running, I can mix it up with the B-spec boys

You should go in for W2W Shiv. Just do the SCCA comp school that most regions conduct every year, and you should be all set.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by shiv
Wowza, this is news to me. But you're right, the w2w bug has been itching for long enough and its time it got scratched with a 12 gauge! Plans are already in motion to obtain a better s2k as a starting point for w2w. My black car will be relegated as a parts car, and eventually (hopefully) a v8 swap candidate. Ill bug you one of these days about classes.
Here ya go my friend

https://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-Hond...=1&from=search