New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't need to see any video to get me in the mood for Sebring.......all I need to see is that snow shovel one more time !!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Wasn't 2014 the year that the Porsche 911 rolled over going down hill into the laces?

I was watching the GT3 cup race from that year, and twenty five minutes in there are two 911s that go off in the laces. At that time Dr. Guttin had opined that the driver had put a wheel off, yanked it back on and then gone off. But watching the two events in this race, it seems like it may have been caused due to entering at too much speed. Not saying that the 911 that went off in that section was due to more speed, but this does get me thinking about that corner. Slow in, fast out cuz my name ain't Shiv

Video starts at the point where the replay begins for the first incident. The next incident is at the 21:15 mark at Turn 6 again.
https://youtu.be/jbB6BHEgwv0?t=7m35s
The camber there at T6 is all down on the inside. He looked way wide due to traffic or optimism (or both!) and it was never going to happen that time.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 AM

I remember that incident, I was in the car with Aashish at that time the red flag came out. Once back in the command center Newline Keen showed me the pictures of the Porsche that crashed. He was shooting down at T6 and he capture the entire thing. The driver dropped a wheel to the right and if you know that section, there used to be a huge lip of almost 6 inches and its almost impossible to get back on pavement at speed. He was able to get back on pavement but he locked up and went into a slow spin which brought him into the tire wall sideways. He impacted the tire wall very hard with his right quarter panel, so hard that the rebound from the tire wall tossed the car 5 feet into the air and flipped it over. It landed on its roof so hard that it ripped the center console free and blew out the windows. Everyone that saw the car in paddock couldn't believe he walked away.

The one and only reason that driver was not hurt was the 1/2 cage he had in the car. It did its job and probably saved his life. Convertible drivers take note....it can happen to anyone.

I believe that was Paul's last visit to the Glen and he gave me a pucker moment driving my car coming outa the toe of the boot !! Good times fellas.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:39 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Instructor and student killed in crash at Las Vegas during one of the exotic experience events. Very sad.

Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas
Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 AM

This seems to be happening more and more, newer, faster more powerful cars and inexperienced drivers with lots of money.

I would never jump in as an Instructor during one of those Exotica car track days.....Not a chance.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by s200059
This seems to be happening more and more, newer, faster more powerful cars and inexperienced drivers with lots of money.

I would never jump in as an Instructor during one of those Exotica car track days.....Not a chance.
÷1 on that!
That experience is too based on "clientism" where you want them to keep paying to come back, not a desire to teach skills and be better drivers
Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059

Greg it still amazes me that you get in and instruct as many students as you do. Obviously not everyone is out there is a dangerous knucklehead, but it only takes a single individual with a high powered car, or not even to mess it all up. Its one thing to get in with a student say from S2ki, because most likely someone will know them and can vouch for them. It must be unnerving to get in with a total stranger though, especially one with an uber powerful car (and it does seem like the majority of new "sports cars" these days are hella high powered). I would be fairly hesitant to say the least, especially when they're most likely running just the bare minimum of safety gear in the car.

Which is another point, of how good a learning tool the s2k has been for me. In addition to all my excellent instructors, the s2k is the reason I am at the driving level where I am. It just gives such excellent feedback and really lets you know when you're messing up, especially the AP1 with its lack of TC and more "erratic" rear end (notice how smoothly I went over my bias for the AP1 ).
Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shiv
Greg it still amazes me that you get in and instruct as many students as you do. Obviously not everyone is out there is a dangerous knucklehead, but it only takes a single individual with a high powered car, or not even to mess it all up. Its one thing to get in with a student say from S2ki, because most likely someone will know them and can vouch for them. It must be unnerving to get in with a total stranger though, especially one with an uber powerful car (and it does seem like the majority of new "sports cars" these days are hella high powered). I would be fairly hesitant to say the least, especially when they're most likely running just the bare minimum of safety gear in the car.

Which is another point, of how good a learning tool the s2k has been for me. In addition to all my excellent instructors, the s2k is the reason I am at the driving level where I am. It just gives such excellent feedback and really lets you know when you're messing up, especially the AP1 with its lack of TC and more "erratic" rear end (notice how smoothly I went over my bias for the AP1 ).
AP1 FTW!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by shiv

Believe me I have had some very very scary rides, been off track and spun out with clueless students at the wheel. I am beginning to get more selective on my instructor duties and I am gravitating towards Coaching for the track (Palmer) and private clubs (RUD), both of which pay money and are more selective in pairing students and coaches. I also like SCDA's policy where the Instructor picks the student at the grid so you can choose the model car you are jumping into. Its not a 100% guarantee you will be safer but I would take my chances in the Miata over the Vette or Porsche.

But many CCA clubs (Audi, BMW, Porsche) assign the student to the instructor so you don't have a choice. Worst students have come from BMW CCA, not blaming BMW, I probably just done more of their events than the other clubs. My best students have been on Palmer lapping days or with NTD, SCDA and CHIN. And many of them have requested my services multiple times at many different tracks.

The more I think the danger the tougher it gets because you forget about your mission to teach the student and begin to focus on getting back into the paddock safely. Its a tough way to get free track time, most days I leave with a headache and upset stomach. But I still love to give back to the sport that has given me many opportunities especially Ian Prout, Elivan and the entire SCDA gang. So you have to bit the bullet and put up with some awful painful laps on track, knowing that the student will never amount to anything but a throttle jockey. You do your best to try and put a smile on the drivers face so he keeps coming back for more....good for business.

And in 5 short days Paul and I will begin another track season of instructing....time will tell if we get the good ones or the knuckleheads - but I still can't wait for Saturday to get here.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to the report on that! In addition to the Rüd event on April 27th, I just signed up for NASA licensing school which lasts May 5,6,7. Seems like a more sure fire way to get competing as opposed to the check ride method I tried last year which was really more of a crap shoot of getting the instructor in the car with you (even though I had it requested/confirmed in advance).

Here's to a problem free season