New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Heading for Thompson tomorrow. Only 20 VSCCA cars signed up. All in one race group. Nemesis, Darth Vader and Nuisance Alfa will be there.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Heading for Thompson tomorrow. Only 20 VSCCA cars signed up. All in one race group. Nemesis, Darth Vader and Nuisance Alfa will be there.
Funny you mentioned Darth Vader. My race suit setup + once I wrap my helmet black has me looking like Vader. I should get a cape to go with it. Good luck on the race Mr. Osprey! I too will be battling time with my 2 E36 M3 nemeses on Sunday as well. Btw its getting crazy just keeping up with all the things I have to drag along to the track! Between safety gear, gopro, aim solo, pressure gauge, spares, tools, etc. The prospect of a large tow vehicle is sounding better and better by the event.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 AM

Yes, but my Darth Vader is the one from
Spaceballs!

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Good luck to both of you. May you set lap records and personal bests.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 AM

June 22-24, 2017:ThompsonI’m high on an adrenaline rush thinking about all of the “what could have beens” on my drive home from the track.As usual, I’ve suffered the agony and the ecstasy of a race weekend.

Some guys have a relaxed time and sit in the driver’s lounge.Those are mostly the arrive and drive boys who have a professional mechanic on hand and not a spec of brake dust on their car.They hang cool and comfortable in the driver’s lounge.Then there’s me – on my knees at the side of the car, sweat pouring down my face and grease marks all over from when I try to wipe it away.I’m not jealous – but I’m jealous!One of my friends – don’t get me wrong, he’s a great guy – won a spirit trophy and one of the criteria was that the car be kept neat and tidy.His car looks great, he’s a good driver, but he’s moved on to writing checks.There’s rarely any trophy for the poor slob who’s in the paddock scrounging parts, making repairs on the fly and arriving at the grid at the last minute!Those guys are the hidden underclass of vintage racing.Sadly, I’m part of the underbelly!

I was looking forward to racing despite having to scramble to get ready.New tires, string alignment, new roll bar padding and swapped in 4.55 differential within a few days of the event.Late getting loaded and late arrival meant that I missed my first practice run.But when my Nemesis came in and reported his lap times, I sensed some trouble on the horizon.

Thompson is a very challenging and technical track with two hairpin turns.It’s hard on the equipment!But it is fun once you develop the necessary rhythm.Last year my best lap time was a 1:40, but I was competitive mid pack running mostly 1:41s and 1:42s.The Nemesis #311 MGA came in from its first practice run running in that range.

We had five practice runs scheduled.So as I went out for run 2, I was a bit nervous.I was running in the mid 1:40s and did get a 1:42, but with the two hairpin turns, my brakes overheated and I suffered the dreaded brake seizure problem after nine laps and came in. This did not bode well for my weekend.The brake pistons on the front discs would not retract.I had had this same problem at Summit Point and thought I had resolved the issue with new brake seals.Apparently not the case.Both front rotors were overheated, with the passenger side at about 650 degrees.I couldn’t do much.Just pulled the pads and tried to clean any debris and allowed the brakes to cool down.

The fourth practice session seemed shorter and I only show 4 laps in anger on my lap timer.Perhaps I started it late.In any event, I did not have any brake problems.I improved my times a bit, running a couple of 1:41 laps.

The fifth practice session also seemed short.I didn’t improve my lap time and the brakes seized late, forcing me into the paddock.Again, I didn’t do much to the brakes – not much to do - pulled the pads and tried to clean off.When they cooled down, the wheels spun more freely.But I knew I had trouble.

Next morning – qualifying.I knew I had to be careful, spare my brakes and try to run some laps without getting bogged with traffic.I was close to the back of the grid and after a bit I hung back and let the pack get ahead.When the track was clear, I made a run and clocked a 1:39.5, my fastest time ever at Thompson.I ran another 1:39 a few laps later, but then my brakes seized up again and I was forced to come in.

When I pulled the pads, I noticed that I could not retract the outside piston.I assumed the piston was not square in the bore, so after assessing my brake fluid situation, I decided to pop that piston and try to reset it. An MGA owner passerby pitched in to help and we popped the outer piston and reset it and bled the brakes.But in the process, I missed the first race.

I made it to the grid for the second race.We had a bit of excitement in turn 1 – not me – the other drivers.But the pack got away from me.So I was running by myself.I ran a very consistent race – all laps in the 1:39s or 1:40s – but once again, my brakes were seizing at the end.

What to do?I pulled the pads once again.This time, I couldn’t retract the inner piston on the passenger side.So borrowing some brake fluid from another driver, I proceeded to pop that piston.All looked good, but I decided to run without the dust seal.I also decided to pull the front valance off of the car to try to get more air to the brakes!

First race on Saturday morning saw light rain and a very wet track.Not much to report other than I fishtailed around a bit, finding little grip.I finished the race toward the end of the pack and due to conditions experienced no brake issues.

I had time on my hands to get ready for the final race.Now sunny and dry and the track would be rather hot.I needed a strategy.Slow in, fast out for the hairpins and try to save the brakes.I hope for the best. The flag flies.I lose a position. But I’m hot on the tail of the cars in front.A tight six car race for several laps.I have a few opportunities to move up, but am conservative and don’t take them.Brake strategy is out the window – figuratively, since I don’t have any windows!The Nemesis gets by and away.I’m chasing a ’58 Turner 950S – that supposedly won the SCCA G production championship back in the day.It’s a good race for many laps, but time is not on my side.First sign of brake trouble is that they lock up in the hairpin corners just a bit too easily.Then, for the first time ever, I feel that my tires are losing a bit of grip and that I’m losing ground in the corners.Try to make up by taking the turns a bit faster, but soon I have no speed on the straight.Brake drag is costing me about 10 mph on the main straight.The Turner pulls away, I get lapped by the leader and the checkered flies.A disappointing finish, but a most fun race!My lap times show improvement with me running a couple 1:38s and a couple of 1:39s.

Have to come up with a solution for my brakes, but don’t expect to have any problems in the short term.My next race will probably be the Historic festival at Lime Rock, and that track is a momentum track, easy on brakes.

A video of the last race:

Old 06-25-2017, 08:12 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Great report Jeff. I wonder if a caliper rebuild would do the trick.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just signed up for Rud Motorsports event at Palmer for Sept 14. Palmer is an awesome track and Rud is an awesome organization. This is an experienced driver event and as a result everybody gets a TON of track time. Minimum of 6 sessions which is a lot of seat time. Anyone that has been to a Rud event before knows that the on track etiquette of other drivers is excellent, and it is always a ton of fun with great people. Rud additionally offers pro coaching for those that want to really take their driving to the next level. As the name suggests, the instructors are indeed pros. The organizers Scott and Frank are always around the paddock and are both awesome dudes. Great atmosphere and the events are always run very professionally. Typically there is a driver's dinner the night before the event so everyone can become acquainted with one another and it is a ton of fun. If you have never run with Rud before I highly recommend them. And if you have run with them before you know what a great time it is. If you have any questions or concerns I recommend reaching out to Scott/ Frank directly, very helpful and accommodating guys: info@rudmotorsports.com
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

+1 on Rud

not sure I can take a work day off. But if I can I'll be there.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
+1 on Rud

not sure I can take a work day off. But if I can I'll be there.
You can and I will call you in sick if necessary so be prepared.

As SHIV stated, it is one of the most relaxed events you will attend and with 5 hrs of track time you had better have plenty of gas and good tires/brakes on your old sled.

I hope to be able to bring my track car, but it is only a week or 10 days before I leave for Indy for SCCA Runoffs and it might not be wise to beat up on the #59 prior to her big debut on the famous BrickYard raceway.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rüd Motorsports

Hey guys! I'm Scott Marlowe, co-founder of rüd Motorsports Inc. We are a no-nonsense HPDE organization that caters to the experienced driver looking to maximize seat time at each event. By eliminating novice and instructor run groups we can give that time to our participants resulting in over 2 hours of actual track time for everyone!

We also are very proud of our Pro coaching program! Our coaches are actual professional drivers who will work with you individually for the entire day and help squeeze every last second out of your lap times! Do not mistake our program with typical green group instruction; our coaches are here for fast drivers to get faster! So if you're interested in attending and/or want to inquire about hiring one of our Pro Coaches, email me at info@rudmotorsports.com and be sure to check out our website at www.rudmotorsports.com!

We have an upcoming event at Palmer Motorsports Park this September 14th. Palmer is an extremely fun and challenging track that begs to be mastered! And remember- if you want to truly speed up the learning curve, our coaches have hundreds of laps here and can help you extract every last tenth! A direct link to the registration page is here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...17-park-658132

We invite you to come and experience the difference!