New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Here is a video from one of the 86 guys that was running in the Blue group. I set it to start at 8:56. If not watch from there to see how rough some people at EMRA play

Old 10-09-2017, 12:03 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

results show I finished first and the guy that got the first place trophy was in another class

EDIT: There was a mix-up in timing and scoring. I finished first in the Stock class.

Last edited by A 2; 10-09-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
results show I finished first and the guy that got the first place trophy was in another class

EDIT: There was a mix-up in timing and scoring. I finished first in the Stock class.
Ringer!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:20 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Ringer!!!
John S set a 1:08.8 the last time. I had seen his scores from the first two sessions and he was thereabouts yet again. So when I got the 1:08.21 I was feeling somewhat good about myself. Now that I am seeing the times, I can see that it was very close.

As an aside, I think this also means I hold the lap record at Lime Rock for the Stock 86 class

Now when I offer driving advice to my errant disciple, the blueosprey, he will perhaps be more receptive to my suggestions as I hold the slowest lap record at LRP

Last edited by A 2; 10-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
John S set a 1:08.8 the last time. I had seen his scores from the first two sessions and he was thereabouts yet again. So when I got the 1:08.21 I was feeling somewhat good about myself. Now that I am seeing the times, I can see that it was very close.

As an aside, I think this also means I hold the lap record at Lime Rock for the Stock 86 class

Now when I offer driving advice to my errant disciple, the blueosprey, he will perhaps be more receptive to my suggestions as I hold the slowest lap record at LRP
congratulations Aashish! Your progress and journey continues to motivate. I will be doing Daytona with MVP this December. and am trying to get to Rd. Atlanta with Chin for the first time. If you ever do a track event at VIR or south of it, let me know
Old 10-12-2017, 05:31 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Helio - thanks for your kind words. You definitely should do those tracks.

Someday I hope I can make it down south to drive Road Atlanta and VIR.

The progress I’ve made is more in terms of driver confidence and some skills I think. I remember daktruckie Mike telling me at one of my first solo events that I was braking way before the braking zone started for Big Bend. I’ve managed to move that forward with time and practice. I’m still not a single lap hero, but have improved in consistency I feel.

The EMRA event was a way to see how I stacked up against similar cars. It proved I was running close to the fastest the car can do in stock trim. A better driver would easily shave 2 seconds off the time I set I’m sure.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Interesting article about Lewis Hamilton’s qualifying performance improvement this season. I think you guys will find what he has to say about visualization very interesting

Formula 1: Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes and the 'fine art' of grand prix qualifying - BBC Sport

Not for him techniques beloved of sports psychologists such as visualisation.

"I have never visualised a lap," he says. "I tried it many years ago. For me personally, it is a complete waste of time. It did nothing for me.

"You can't predict what you are about to do. You can't put in your mind that you are going to turn at this point.

"It is the greatest thing about racing these cars, it's that it's all on the dime, it's all on the split second - how you react, about the snap overseer that comes. You can't predict that; you just have to be ready. It is about being on your toes and I love that. So many balls are coming from so many different directions.

"What I can definitely advise any kid that's out there trying to race, don't listen to people who tell you you need a mental coach or you need someone to help control your mind.

"You need to let it run wild and free and discover yourself. It is all about discovery. And only you can do it. No-one can tell you: 'Don't do that because I have done it before.' You have to experience it in order to learn and grow from it."
Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Shiv is at Watkins Glen today and tomorrow. I’ll be at Palmer tomorrow and Sunday.

SCDA is running Palmer backwards on Tuesday. Think Greg is going to that. I’d like to as well, but I think this weekend will be my last event other than a car control clinic with SCDA on 10/28.

Anyone else got anything lined up?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clocking in the 2 :15 range, hella cold, and the car feels like its down 30-40 horsepower . Also i need a damn supercharger
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Clocking in the 2 :15 range, hella cold, and the car feels like its down 30-40 horsepower . Also i need a damn supercharger
Thats pretty darn fast - thats race speed my friend. And if its that cold the car should be loving it and feel like its got extra HP, not down on HP.

Be careful if you are on slicks in that cold weather any temps below 50 degrees can be a down right hazard.