New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2018

Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Club Motorsports was a late addition to the VSCCA race schedule; and I had already standing plans with my friends to go to Watkins Glen. So it was a hectic week and I wasn’t able to leave home until close to 5:00 p.m. I hoped to arrive by 11:00 p.m. but was caught in a long traffic jam and was still not there by 12:45. I somehow managed to disable my phone and couldn’t call the guys who were saving a cot for me, so I ended up sleeping in my car at the side of the road. Got about 4 hours of sleep. For a while there were loud wild sounds in the woods around me – not coyotes, maybe owls, and they were on the move. It was like grunt, grunt, grunt, howl. Early morning traffic woke me up and I moved on. I managed to find the track and then went into the village and had a cup of coffee and breakfast. My body was in a bit of shock.

When I arrived at the track, the paved paddock was full. I could have found some room, but went up to the unpaved (trap rock) paddock to give the guys up there some company. Off loaded and then to the driver’s meeting, which was really more of an orientation to the track. The track has some extreme elevation changes – longer and more steep than the Glen or VIR. The mistake that I made was to swap the 4:55 differential for the stock 4.3. I was forced to run mostly in 3rd gear.

Two practice sessions and two races scheduled for Friday. Well, none of us knew the line and we were all over the place. For my part, I was early apexing and then struggling to keep the car on track with lots of tire squealing and not much speed. Others were having the same problems. Nevertheless, by the end of the second practice session, we had improved – but not enough to go racing!

I was first to the grid for race 1 so I was on pole. As we left our space to exit the narrow pit lane, the grid workers indicated which side of the track to line up on. I set the pace and eventually had a good, tight group behind me as we came down the straight. A very late green flag and we were off like gangbusters. Two cars (Alfa and MGA) were by me before Turn 1, then a fast Alfa in Turn 5, then an Austin Healey in Turn 7, then yet another Alfa in Turn 11. I more or less let a Porsche 356 by in Turn 12. So I was running 7th. Approaching Turn 15 onto the main straight I see an Alfa sliding sideways near the apex and a second one off the track near track out. Not a problem – until the Alfa at track out starts to come back on track. I think he saw me at the very last minute and stopped just in time. I probably missed him by only 4 feet. Well in slowing down for the miscreant Alfa, four more cars passed me. But I get back up to speed and approach Turn 1. Another Alfa goes into a slide and does a one tank slapper before spinning 270. I misjudged my path and he rolled right into it. I jammed on my brakes and missed him by maybe 15 inches! Of course, the entire field passes me except perhaps the two guys who had spun in Turn 1. I figured the excitement was over – but No! it was just getting started.

I had lost momentum and was chugging up the hill towards Turn 6. This is a sharp, downhill, off camber curve to the right. And it was not a happy corner. In the outside runoff area, a Fiat Abarth was on its roof and a Mini was stopped. The Mini had apparently taken an inside line into the corner and came in too hot. As the Fiat turned in, the Mini slammed on its brakes, locked its wheels and skidded into the right rear of the Fiat. That flipped the Fiat onto its roof where it slid for a second and then rolled over a coupled more times. The driver was already getting out of the Fiat as I went by. His car looks very much totaled, although I think he was not seriously injured. The Mini driver will maybe lose his license. If not, he will definitely be on probation for a long time!

Of course, the unfortunate end of race 1 sobered us up. Race 2 was without significant incident. I started near the front, and for a lap or two, the faster cars worked their way by me. Then I was on my own for quite a few laps before a few cars came up from behind and passed. I followed them for a bit until they slowly drifted away and then the race was over. For this run, I set up the Aim Solo. My average lap was probably in the 2:17 range, but I did manage to run a 2:13.832.

After dinner, we drove up an access road that runs along the track in the vicinity of the last few turns. I noticed that the outside 12 feet-of Turn 15 seemed to be flat to negative camber, while the inner part of the turn seemed to have positive camber. I used this intelligence to modify my line through Turn 15 on Saturday with positive results.

I can’t remember much about the practice session on Saturday morning other than I tried to improve my line through the Turn 3-4 sequence, work on picking up second gear entering Turn 5 and improving my line through Turn 15. I also made an effort to practice very late entry on the most troublesome corners with positive effect. With these changes, my average lap times improved into the 2:15.5 range.

For Race 1 on Saturday, I started behind Mike Clifford’s MGA and hoped to race with him. But we became separated early on, and I decided to let him go. I ran with a small pack of the slower Alfas and had an enjoyable run. Nothing impressive in terms of lap time, averaging probably 2:24s.

I had developed a lot of backfiring on lift, and when I came into the pits I heard a slapping sound. The car was also revving higher than it should, about 2500 rpm. I was primarily concerned about the slapping sound and checked my valve lash and the torque of the rocker arm nuts with no improvement. The sound did not seem to be coming from the engine when I listened with a screwdriver to my ear, but when I pulled the #4 plug, the sound abated. I checked compression and that appeared to be OK. I chalked up the sound to a cracked header or a failed exhaust gasket. I missed the third run, but decided to run the final race.

The final race, however, turned out to be an all-comers practice session. I was pretty much on my own for most of the session and worked on my line and trying to roll a little more speed through the corners, especially turn 3 – which did not exactly work for entering Turn 4. No unusual events, but I was able to get my lap times down. Best lap 2:11.345. A second 2:11 lap and four laps in the 2:13s. I ended my session with a waft of blue smoke in the cockpit. Nothing serious – just leaking oil through the valve cover gasket.

Loaded up, had a beer and was on the road by 6:00. Home by 11:30.

My tires remained a concern throughout the event. I had a lot of vibration whenever I turned left. I felt that this was coming from the tire itself. The edges of all the tires have chunked. But when I swapped my left and right front tires, I felt only the slightest change. When I missed the third session on Saturday, I decided to tighten the damper on the steering rack. This seemed to make an improvement – although it did not eliminate the problem. I think I need to remove a shim or two and then readjust.

Tire pressure: Ran 30 psi front, 32 psi rear. Seemed to have less understeer.

Overall turnout for the event was low and the VSCCA surely lost money. I asked at the driver’s meeting if the event might be scheduled for next year, and the activities chairman indicated that the VSCCA was committed to run for three years – so perhaps two more opportunities to run the track.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Yet to watch the video. But glad you were safe. Sorry about your phone not functioning.

How did the track react? At the SCDA event last year they disapproved of late point bys as in passing into the corners and threatened to black flag the session if drivers didn’t behave. Per SCDA they said that was because not all the flagging stations had been set up and the flaggers didn’t have line of sight into some corners which is why they wanted people to behave. I think that was a safe thing to do. It’s a beautiful track and I’d hate to see them become restrictive like Monticello.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 PM

How did the track react? At the SCDA event last year they disapproved of late point bys as in passing into the corners and threatened to black flag the session if drivers didn’t behave.
I'm sure it was quite embarrassing for the VSCCA. And if the Track officials were not happy, I didn't hear about it.

I'm trying to get the MG ready for the Vintage Festival at Lime Rock. It's not like the olden days when I had a gazillion things to do.

I developed a ticking at Club Motorsport that you could hear through the transmission. Initially I thought it was a loose valve. But a valve lash adjustment suggested that all of the valves were in or close to spec. Then I pulled the valve cover off and checked the bolts holding the whole valve train and they seemed good. I put a heater hose down around the engine and one end up to my ear, but could not hear anything that sounded like an exhaust leak. I also put a screwdriver on the engine and one end on my ear and it did not seem that the ticking came from the engine internals. I did a compression check and all seemed OK on that front as well. Since I had also developed some backfiring, I assumed it was either a cracked exhaust manifold or a failed gasket.

So I stripped off the carbs and sure enough, the exhaust gasket was leaking. I didn't have a new replacement, but I had an old one that should suffice. It looked like some of the flange on the manifold had eroded at the same spot that the gasket had blow through, but given i's location and my inability to pull the manifold without pulling the engine, I had to ignore the apparent problem. I suppose that it is a chicken and egg problem. Eroded, uneven flange may have caused the gasket failure. I placed the gasket and the intake & exhaust manifolds in position. Ninety minutes of work next week and I should have the motor running again.

Uncertain what to do about my tires. I have a new set, but the old ones don't look as bad as I feared they might. Still a lot of tread but the shoulders are chunked down to the casing. I'll dither about the tires for a bit.

Also continue to make slow progress on the Volvo. Still working on the floorboards.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

That was a good read on how you went about chasing down the issue
Old 08-10-2018, 04:57 AM

I've come a long way since I started.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All:

MVP Track Time’s 1st Annual “MVP OH HI OH” at Mid-Ohio August 31st – September 2nd is fast approaching 75% full. I hope you’ll join us for the on-track fun.Registration for the 2018 Mid-Ohio track event is available on line with Pay Pal at the link below:

On-Line Registration: http://www.mvptracktime.com/id92.html

Hopefully, you’ll join us for the on-track fun August 31st – September 2nd to enjoy not only the time on a historic track but also the camaraderie of fellow track fanatics and racers

Feel free to call me at (314) 249-3770 or e-mail Feffman@MVPTrackTime.com if you have any questions.

Happy Motoring and enjoy your day!

Feff
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Oh My!

It looks like I might be able to add another "significant racing history" line to my signature.

The run group assignment list for the Lime Rock Historic Festival has come out. Things have been shaken up significantly, perhaps because of the Bugatti races. I'm assigned to run group 4, as are all of the other MGAs. Many of the cars / drivers are well known. Except for the attrition gods, chances very good that I will be running 35 out of 36. So good, in fact, that if sports betting is allowed, you should consider handicapping me.

I have to admit to being a little scared!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

What does your schedule look like? Trying to figure out how early I should get there.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 PM

My dance card for Labor Day Weekend.

1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1961 Cooper T59 FJ
1959 Stanguellini FJ
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1959 Lotus 18 FJ 41
1958 Austin Healy Sprite
1958 Turner 950S
1963 Brabham BT6 FJ
1961 Lotus 7