New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too

Old 07-07-2019, 02:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It was nice to see all the S2000 at the event (just missing one yellow car), they put in some very good laps.
Sadly one of the s2000 had an incident and that ended his w/e.
I was very surprised to see the speed of the front runners, that kid Nick was blistering fast - (like PGS fast).

Overall a great event and my hats off to A2 for talking me into going, I was very stubborn in the early stages and swore I would not attend.
Now I can't wait until next year to do it again. I only hope Palmer gets an event or maybe NJMP or another nearby venue.

Today I can't hardly move, we got a LOT of laps in during a very short period of time and that Atom beats you pretty good (Like driving an old MG).
In the end we got thru it all before those huge storms came, and I was very thankful for that.

PS - also hats off to all the Mom's that brought the family to see their Dad's having fun on track.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job to all!
I was following as best I could with the on line timing.
It is nice to see that the reason I liked track driving continues to thrive there and that the camaraderie and friendly competition spur all to get better.
Seeing as all had a good time at Thompson (not anyone that I know of favorite tracks) is a testament to you all.
Keep having fun and....keep things shiny side up!
A 2 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats to all you gentlemen! Seeing all you hitting the track together is so awesome to see! It has me second guessing if I should bring my s2k down to Dallas or leave it in NY for track duty in the northeast.

Greg you're going to have to take me for a rip in that track missile one of these days. It looks like an absolute riot.

And Aashish I think you would do mighty fine ZL1 1LE. After all its got a big ol wing!
A 2 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I too tried to follow from afar, but I couldn't figure out how you were scored or the classes for that matter.

The "second segment". Was that a different configuration? It looked about 10 seconds faster.

Rico looked to be on fire. Glad to see Greg back in the saddle, as he has been very quiet this season. Congratulations Mike. Aashish, you're the Man!

Looking forward to the Glen next week.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I too tried to follow from afar, but I couldn't figure out how you were scored or the classes for that matter.

The "second segment". Was that a different configuration? It looked about 10 seconds faster.

Rico looked to be on fire. Glad to see Greg back in the saddle, as he has been very quiet this season. Congratulations Mike. Aashish, you're the Man!

Looking forward to the Glen next week.
Not really a second segment, but they had what they call a track sprint. It runs on a portion of the track with a designated start and a finish like hillclimb and autocross. There are no cones to hit. They gave us a parade lap plus three runs. At Pitt Race, they ran it on the old north course. Here at Thompson, they ran it starting at Turn 1 and with the finish set up just as you were coming down the last hump on to the front straight. Here is the video.

and you're right Rico made the move on me as did Mike on the second day. Rico had me beat by three seconds on the track sprint and then established a 1 second lead in the second day time attack sessions that comfortably put him ahead of me. Rico and I were in the same class. The fastest S2000 time was a 1:21 or 1:22 set by Nick Austin who autocrosses locally.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 AM

Less than a week and we will be at the Glen. None of the pressure - glory or humiliation - of the time trials. The only thing I need to do is to swap out my pads, review the Circuit Studies video, check my historical lap times and load up.

Hope to be on the road on Sunday by 2:00 p.m. Unfortunately, I'll probably drive routes 84 and 17 which is less glorious than my normal drive from Lincoln Pond.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by shiv
Congrats to all you gentlemen! Seeing all you hitting the track together is so awesome to see! It has me second guessing if I should bring my s2k down to Dallas or leave it in NY for track duty in the northeast.

Greg you're going to have to take me for a rip in that track missile one of these days. It looks like an absolute riot.

And Aashish I think you would do mighty fine ZL1 1LE. After all its got a big ol wing!
Take that car you have to an SCCA Track Night in America. I think you’ll have fun and then will be incentivized to move your S2000 down to Dallas
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Less than a week and we will be at the Glen. None of the pressure - glory or humiliation - of the time trials. The only thing I need to do is to swap out my pads, review the Circuit Studies video, check my historical lap times and load up.

Hope to be on the road on Sunday by 2:00 p.m. Unfortunately, I'll probably drive routes 84 and 17 which is less glorious than my normal drive from Lincoln Pond.
What time do you expect to get there by? Just in case I have to buy you a sandwich for a late arrival
Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 AM

This one might be more fun than a burlap bag full of bobcats.

VSCCA at Thompson from a few weeks ago.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Jeff, you should have come to the TT event with the MG, I am sure it would have shown those young whipper-snappers a few things !

Quick Reply: Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too