New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too

Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Boy, you're definition of a 4 off is different than mine. Perhaps I didn't see it. First video, lap 1? i.e., first full lap? I don't think riding up on the rumble strip is a 4 off.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Boy, you're definition of a 4 off is different than mine. Perhaps I didn't see it. First video, lap 1? i.e., first full lap? I don't think riding up on the rumble strip is a 4 off.
Its around 5:06 in the video. My left wheels were on the rumble strip and the passenger side was over. That was a four off based on what Elivan said at the meeting. I kept going although I did feel a bit ashamed about it. That’s why I self reported when I went 4 off at Turn 1 but I probably shouldn’t have. As Harry said, I should have stayed out unless I got a black flag
Old 07-18-2019, 01:33 PM

That's the wimpiest 4 off I've ever seen!

What's happened to you, lad? Do you need a shot of testosterone? I'd be embarrassed to call it a 4 off. Ok, so you killed the traffic cone. Maybe if you decided to give it a wide berth you could argue that you went 4 off. But that traffic cone was no innocent. You're on a hot track cruising out on the rumble strip and he's out there jay walking?

You weren't any further off the tarmac than Harry was going through the bus stop.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

And one of the fastest lap I set out there during what was my final session of the event
[/QUOTE]
nice line Aashish!
about 2:20?
had to watch with no sound, just a little lift between 10 and 11? in the S I found it faster using 5th on the front straight even with the 2 gear downshift also try 4th between 8 and 9 YMMV as it is a different car
you look very relaxed in the car (sometimes no handed!)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Thanks Paul. At 2:20 it was the Elivan line, but with a bit more aggression. To turn in for 10, I had to do a slight lift as much as Harry said one didn’t need to.

Next time out I’ll try the higher gears. It was a revelation of sorts when I saw how little he shifted. Grabbing 5th on the front straight would probably help me go a bit faster I think. I was hitting redline going downhill into the brake zone.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
That's the wimpiest 4 off I've ever seen!

What's happened to you, lad? Do you need a shot of testosterone? I'd be embarrassed to call it a 4 off. Ok, so you killed the traffic cone. Maybe if you decided to give it a wide berth you could argue that you went 4 off. But that traffic cone was no innocent. You're on a hot track cruising out on the rumble strip and he's out there jay walking?

You weren't any further off the tarmac than Harry was going through the bus stop.

you’re right. It doesn’t look like a lot on video. When I was driving though there was a clear sense it was illegal and it felt much bigger than it looks on video.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:31 AM

I did a quick look at my data from the last three years. One matter of note is that I didn't get nearly the same number of laps this year as I had in the past. The morning runs on Tuesday were marred by black flags all. The afternoon runs were marred by rain.

In the seat, I felt faster than last year, and that seemed to be borne out when I compared say 2018 Run 4 with 2019 Run 4. On average, I seemed to be about 3 to 4 to maybe even 5 seconds a lap faster this year than last year. Unfortunately, my fastest lap times did not come close to matching last year's.

Last year I ran 8 laps below 2:32.5, including 4 laps below 2:31.5, two laps at 2:30.5 and my best lap at 2:29.971.

This year I could only muster one lap below 2:32.5 and that was my best lap at 2:30.935.

My plan for Tuesday had been to try to downshift to third gear at turn 1 to get a pop for the long uphill. With the interruptions of the black flagged sessions and then the rain, that plan never materialized. My perennial problem of managing the gearbox and my readings about ruined, overrevved engines, always temper my enthusiasm for downshifting two gears. But even with the gearbox I was more comfortable this year - only a few times where I grabbed too high a gear.

I was also braking for turn 1 and for the bus stop much earlier than necessary. Of course, this also relates to my gearbox management issues, as I am subconsciously attempting to provide myself enough time to control the downshift.

Here's some video of me getting my socks blown off.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Typical of you to save the best for the last

you did get the one point by at the end. I think both of us got a good left shoulder workout throughout the event. Other than that Lotus I didn’t catch anyone at all.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Watching this in bits and pieces. Figured I'd share here for anyone interested.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 PM

Assuming all goes according to plan, I'm loading up the MG and heading to Club Motorsports tomorrow for two days of racing. I've have an overheating problem of late. I've flushed my cooling system, and although I decanted about two cups of slightly sludgy fluid, I didn't feel that it should be causing me problems. But I was re-using last year's No-Rosion cocktail and perhaps it loses some cooling ability after a year. After the flush, at fast idle for about 20 minutes, car seemed to run at 185 degrees. In any event, I also swapped out the 4.55 differential in favor of the 4.3 to keep the engine at somewhat lower rpms.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too