New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat 2019 - 2020

Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I see where his interest in old cars lies. Riche need to join the VSCCA. My Spanglish is next to nothing. I assume those cars were on a rally - but to where?

I reposted the Watkins Glen video to the VSCCA Facebook page. Very popular, lots of comments and was supposedly a VSCCA (sanctioned?) event. A few of the cars are still well known and raced at our events. Many drivers also known and recognized - of course, not by a young whippersnapper like me. The guy that finished first organized the Historic Festival over Labor Day. The guy (Peter Giddings) that finished second just died unexpectedly a few months ago. Had raced all over the world until his last breath, just about.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I see where his interest in old cars lies. Riche need to join the VSCCA. My Spanglish is next to nothing. I assume those cars were on a rally - but to where?.
Was a vintage rally from Barcelona to Sitges in Spain. In Sitges the tourist center gave me a nice 50 page book on the rally with lots of info but in Spanglish My wife can do a little Spanish but daughter is fluent so I'll get her to translate some to me. Here is the link in English again International Vintage Car Rally Barcelona - Sitges – Official page . Sorry I don't know how to make it clickable. The cars are limited to the year 1929. Interesting but not for me to own. My tastes run a little more modern. If I were to be a mega mega lottery winner an 8C would probably find it's way to my garage. The looks appeal to my eye but driving one would be important. Before returning home I hadn't looked at the rally website on a computer and now find my computer doesn't show the route. On the phone while the rally was in progress you could see the cars traveling in route with tags telling which car was where. I suspect they took the road near the shore. This road I have driven but only at night so haven't seen the views. But it is VERY twisty with rock on one side and drop offs on the other protected by Jersey barriers in many places.

Edit: well the link worked out this time
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Sunday's route , phone picture from the book

Monday route

Found these maps in the back of the rally book. Sunday's map gives an idea just how twisty the coast road is.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 PM

Levi, What is the salt situation on the north country roads? Are you able to take the S out?
Old 03-30-2019, 02:41 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Getting a small amount of snow this am but supposed to get to near 50 later with rain. The roads are still covered with salt from last weekends noreaster, maybe the rain today will be a step in the right direction. Next week we could get into the 50's....spring is just around the corner....hopefully will get the S out sometime next month.
Levi
Old 03-30-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I’m in the North Country to work on the boat motor. Chilly this am, about 30. Thrill of the morning. Saw adult bald eagle and then a pair of river otters playing in the open water at the causeway. Good sightings with binocs.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:24 AM

Might be something to do in Sept.:
http://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/03...nd/?refer=news
Levi
Old 03-31-2019, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Might be something to do in Sept.:
http://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/03...nd/?refer=news
Levi
Nice link. The Lake George Village show should be a real good one.
Thanks for the road salt update for the north country. Hopefully someone in government will acknowledge how much damage road salt is doing to the environment before to much damage is done and put a stop its use.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:27 AM

Riche, are you planning on visiting the area this year?
Levi
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Riche, are you planning on visiting the area this year?
Levi
Yes but not sure of the days. Hoping to make a meet but everything gets so busy that time becomes an issue.