New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat 2019 - 2020

Old 04-09-2019, 05:48 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
And now for something completely different, how about a Bugatti Chiron 1:1 replica built entirely out of Legos - and yes, it actually runs.

https://youtu.be/ZQdlCQmzUAM
Just got a chance to watch it. That was pretty impressive. I wonder what speed the car got up to. It cracked me up when he put his visor down
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Well as luck would have it we got about an inch of new snow/ice with the 26 degree temps, the salt/sanders were out on the state roads last evening. Supposed to warm to upper 30's today. Forget for the roads getting cleaned up. Weekend looks better with temps in 50's.
Levi
Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 04-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fullbackS2
Spotted this nice AA while having my fluids changed at Quantum this morning

. I can only imagine the ride!
I got the chance to drive one a couple of years back. An acquaintance in TX has one, and he threw me the keyfob and said "If you crash it, make sure to total it." I didn't beat on it TOO hard, because I was on the street, and it wasn't my car. But I gave it a few good rips, and good god... I've never experienced anything quite like it. Closest I've ever had were the 2-stroke karts I used to autocross, back in the day. His Atom had the GM Ecotec supercharged motor, not the Honda like the one in your pic. But still, 300HP in a car that weighs almost nothing is a crazy experience. When I hit powerball....
Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree. An Atom would be on my shortlist were I to find a large duffel bag of unmarked bills in my backyard
Old 04-12-2019, 04:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

It’s not street legal in New York. But if money is plenty it can be registered in Montana or elsewhere
Old 04-12-2019, 04:52 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Another night in the garage working on the Volvo a/k/a school bus.

Oil change, primarily because I had a nuisance oil leak at the drain plug. Replaced a copper compression washer with a fiber washer. Toasted the copper washer trying to anneal it, so had to use what was in the box of bits.

Had some oil filters in my spares. A Fram CH-847 PL that I decided not to use and will probably discard. I used a #551304 (box also marked 6F14C3 -/ 110110Q1) of unknown origin and manufacture. Filters appear very, very flimsy. Filter goes into engine at 90 degree angle. So I had to attach it "dry" and I'm not sure how to prime. Will probably pull the plugs and spin the engine until I get oil pressure.

Still fiddling with my parking brake. Added a return spring that was missing where the main cable joins the cables leading to the brakes. But I still can’t get the driver’s side rear to engage fully. I have a missing front anchor point and a rube goldberg repair and I think the cables have a slightly different pull length. But for now, I’m done.

I did add an anti-rattle clip on the brake shoe separating bar and now I simply need to see if there is a torque spec for the castellated nut before finishing up with the hub.

With some JB Weld epoxy, I fabricated some shoulder bolts to attach the 3 point seat belts to the B pillars. There is an existing hidden nut in the pillar that I will use, although I think it is only sized at M8 (or perhaps M10). I wish it had more meat, but it is what it is. I should be a bit safer with a shoulder harness.

Since I had that major snafu rebuilding the MGA race motor, I have continued to devote attention to the PV 444. First race weekend in three weeks.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Another night in the garage working on the Volvo a/k/a school bus.

Oil change, primarily because I had a nuisance oil leak at the drain plug. Replaced a copper compression washer with a fiber washer. Toasted the copper washer trying to anneal it, so had to use what was in the box of bits.

Had some oil filters in my spares. A Fram CH-847 PL that I decided not to use and will probably discard. I used a #551304 (box also marked 6F14C3 -/ 110110Q1) of unknown origin and manufacture. Filters appear very, very flimsy. Filter goes into engine at 90 degree angle. So I had to attach it "dry" and I'm not sure how to prime. Will probably pull the plugs and spin the engine until I get oil pressure.

Still fiddling with my parking brake. Added a return spring that was missing where the main cable joins the cables leading to the brakes. But I still can’t get the driver’s side rear to engage fully. I have a missing front anchor point and a rube goldberg repair and I think the cables have a slightly different pull length. But for now, I’m done.

I did add an anti-rattle clip on the brake shoe separating bar and now I simply need to see if there is a torque spec for the castellated nut before finishing up with the hub.

With some JB Weld epoxy, I fabricated some shoulder bolts to attach the 3 point seat belts to the B pillars. There is an existing hidden nut in the pillar that I will use, although I think it is only sized at M8 (or perhaps M10). I wish it had more meat, but it is what it is. I should be a bit safer with a shoulder harness.

Since I had that major snafu rebuilding the MGA race motor, I have continued to devote attention to the PV 444. First race weekend in three weeks.
If you need to go back to the copper washer or replace others try Walmart.com. Just an example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/10pcs-12m...sket/464854114
Keep looking and you will find the size you need. The pricing and number of washers can vary a lot so search again if the price is real high.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

El Jefe - do you even relax?

Nice report on the Volvo.