New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat 2019 - 2020

Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

That's what I was thinking too. It would look nice in my garage though.
Levi
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
With the window all the way up, press and hold the button and bring the window all the way down. Then press/pull and hold the button and bring it all the way up. That should reset it
Thank you
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWho
Jeff, welcome to the 70 year old club!! I have been 70 for about a month and I have been forgetting things on a accelerated bases. Somehow I forgot for a couple of weeks about this forum when I swear I looked at it yesterday.
Happy belated birthday Buddy!
Happy belated birthday to both of you.
Nearly able to join your club. Do we get membership cards?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I'll join their club in October.
Levi
Old 01-12-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Actually, I'm 71.

Since I passed The Shirt on to Semir - he wanted to use it to pick up girls (all of a proper age, however) - and I saw a photo (since taken down) suggesting at least limited success - I bought myself a bow tie - black adorned with champagne glasses. Other people might say I look like and idiot, but I have the self confidence to actually be an idiot.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

57 Volvo PV444 progress report: I’ve spent a solid four weeks working on the interior firewall, under dash and kick panel areas.

My firewall mat was rather decrepit, my kick panel areas uncovered and unattractive with dirt, rust and old adhesive and I had a lot of surface rust high up under the dash. I stripped everything down, cleaned everything up and finished with rattle can Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

The firewall mat was the biggest, most time consuming problem. In the driver and passenger areas, the old firewall mat consisted of what appeared to be ½ inch coconut fiber batting covered with a perhaps 3/8” thick hard pressboard. Each side was sewn to a piece of linoleum that wrapped around the middle console. Once I started to remove the mat, it pretty much disintegrated.

I scouted around and was unable to find replacement materials, although I do believe I could have gotten the batting. I took a chance and bought the firewall mat that is for the PV544 and P210 Duett. I spent a few days trying to install this but not much matched up to my PV444 firewall and I gave up. I picked up a piece of what I suppose is called a carpet runner from the local building supply (Home Depot). It was actually a pretty nice piece of Neoprene type material, no pattern, perhaps 3/8” thick, no static. I used the firewall mat for the PV544 to cut the basic shape. Then with many, many, many test fittings, I located and cut all of the openings, including the holes for the retainer plugs that hold it up on the firewall. The driver’s side was a particularly difficult as was cutting the holes for the “heat duct” through the center console to the passenger side. I didn’t have that heat duct, per se, but I made one up out of aluminum and slid it through the console area.

On the driver’s side, I applied 1/8” Hushmat on the firewall and then 1/8” Hushmat on the backside of the firewall mat. On the passenger side, I applied 1/8” Hushmat to the firewall and then ½” Hushmat to the back side of the firewall mat. I really wanted to apply more soundproofing on the drivers side, but would have had a major fitting problem if I did so. I also applied the 1/8” Hushmat to the back of my mat at the center console.

Photo shows the two firewall mats. PV 544 on top. My homemade job on the bottom.

I replaced the heating ductwork (newly re-painted) (my heater control valve tested out), cut off or ground down any sharp points in the engine bay from the penetrating screws, reinstalled the coil.

I plan to install kick panels in the foot wells. The pieces are nothing more than pressed cardboard, plasticized on the inside surface. After test fitting, I needed to trim the forward edges a bit. I then cut and applied a vinyl fabric. They came out pretty well. I plan to screw them on.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

New Supra revealed in Detroit. Starts at $50k for the 6 cylinder. Smaller engine coming later.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota...oes-1831719119

Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
57 Volvo PV444 progress report: I’ve spent a solid four weeks working on the interior firewall, under dash and kick panel areas.

My firewall mat was rather decrepit, my kick panel areas uncovered and unattractive with dirt, rust and old adhesive and I had a lot of surface rust high up under the dash. I stripped everything down, cleaned everything up and finished with rattle can Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

The firewall mat was the biggest, most time consuming problem. In the driver and passenger areas, the old firewall mat consisted of what appeared to be ½ inch coconut fiber batting covered with a perhaps 3/8” thick hard pressboard. Each side was sewn to a piece of linoleum that wrapped around the middle console. Once I started to remove the mat, it pretty much disintegrated.

I scouted around and was unable to find replacement materials, although I do believe I could have gotten the batting. I took a chance and bought the firewall mat that is for the PV544 and P210 Duett. I spent a few days trying to install this but not much matched up to my PV444 firewall and I gave up. I picked up a piece of what I suppose is called a carpet runner from the local building supply (Home Depot). It was actually a pretty nice piece of Neoprene type material, no pattern, perhaps 3/8” thick, no static. I used the firewall mat for the PV544 to cut the basic shape. Then with many, many, many test fittings, I located and cut all of the openings, including the holes for the retainer plugs that hold it up on the firewall. The driver’s side was a particularly difficult as was cutting the holes for the “heat duct” through the center console to the passenger side. I didn’t have that heat duct, per se, but I made one up out of aluminum and slid it through the console area.

On the driver’s side, I applied 1/8” Hushmat on the firewall and then 1/8” Hushmat on the backside of the firewall mat. On the passenger side, I applied 1/8” Hushmat to the firewall and then ½” Hushmat to the back side of the firewall mat. I really wanted to apply more soundproofing on the drivers side, but would have had a major fitting problem if I did so. I also applied the 1/8” Hushmat to the back of my mat at the center console.

Photo shows the two firewall mats. PV 544 on top. My homemade job on the bottom.

I replaced the heating ductwork (newly re-painted) (my heater control valve tested out), cut off or ground down any sharp points in the engine bay from the penetrating screws, reinstalled the coil.

I plan to install kick panels in the foot wells. The pieces are nothing more than pressed cardboard, plasticized on the inside surface. After test fitting, I needed to trim the forward edges a bit. I then cut and applied a vinyl fabric. They came out pretty well. I plan to screw them on.

I have to say I really admire the dedication that you have towards this project. And this admiration is for everyone that puts the time and effort into doing this kind of work.

There has to be some intrinsic value derived from a job well done especially one such as this type of work that is a labor of love.

Enjoyed reading the post El Jefe.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Ice disk forms in a river in Maine. This is pretty cool and I thought I’d share here

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46891412

Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
New Supra revealed by tweet
First impression isn't great. Looks like an overstyled Z4.