New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 09-21-2017, 05:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

A Ford Ranger RAPTOR is coming

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A 2
I was talking to someone at work and the topic came up about what Albany was known for: Buffalo is known for wings, Roc has the Garbage Plate, Syracuse has Riggies, but tried as we might, neither her nor I were able to come up with one specific food item that Albany was known for. Then a third person joined the conversation and essentially said the reason for that was Gov. Rockefeller, seeing how he decided to use eminent domain to raze entire neighborhoods that had ethnic communities living there in order to build the Empire State Plaza adjacent to the State Capitol. Had these communities continued to live there, he opined some kind of gastronomic creation would have certainly come out of it.

oh! and I do remember that one time, I saw this kid in the airport wearing a shirt about Albany. It had Albany on a map and said something along the lines of "3 hours from every place awesome" with lines drawn to Boston, Montreal and NYC.
I thought Albany was known for large amounts of bologna that was spiced so that it was hard to swallow!
Just what I heard.
HA!rry
Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Ha !

Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

^^ it’s european right. I wonder why they can’t just get in the car and back it up. I’m assuming the car is RHD
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

TECH QUESTION ABOUT BRAKES (posting here so I can get the most opinions)

I replaced Pads and Rotors before my last track day on the BRZ. All four corners. I installed new G-Loc brake pads.

These pads were a tight squeeze to get in. I had to coax them into the pad clips and this took a bit of effort over say the OEM pads or the Hawk pads I was running prior. But with a little effort I was able to get the pads in and I got everything ready to go. I did put grease on the back of the pads before I put them in.

I took the car out early morning next day before sunrise and bedded the pads in. Then drove the car home and parked it until my track day on 9/23. On that day, I drove the car to the track, and did my laps. Brakes held up well and I had no issues on track whatsoever. After the day was done, I drove home on some back roads with windows open and thats when I heard. A squeak that seems to be coming from the wheels. I step on the brakes and the squeal goes away momentarily and then it comes back on a little after.

I had new tires installed on the BRZ today. While the wheels were off, I did a visual inspection and sure enough all the bolts were in place. Caliper bracket bolts were fine as were the caliper bolts. I grabbed each caliper and shook it for play, but they all seemed fine. The rotors all had proper and even pad deposit on them and I saw nothing that concerned me.

After the tires were mounted, I took a longish drive home on back roads and the noise is still there. I get on the brakes and it goes away and then I hear it....squeak, squeak, squeak at periodic intervals.

I intend to get the car up on jack stands tomorrow and torque down all the bolts again. What do you guys think is the issue? What should I check for and what can I potentially do to make the squeak go away?
The pads are not worn as they are new. Rotors look fine too. Should I just put some grease on the pad backing plate and on the brake clips on the caliper? Thanks in advance for help/suggestions. I could not find anything conclusive on the internet, therefore I am appealing to our community's collective wisdom.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what you are describing I still occasionally experience on my S. I really only ever hear it at lower speeds and when I'm not on the brakes. Kind of like an on-off dragging noise under 20mph. Everything from the knuckle outward is torqued to spec so I attributed it to not using any grease on the back of the pad. Greasing the back of the pads may get rid of the noise you are hearing, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything is torqued down as it should be. After all, racecars tend to make more and varying noises
Old 10-04-2017, 03:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

I hear it at all speeds. As in not when I’m on the highway, but if I’m on a backroad going 50is MPH, I’ll hear it. Probably do a once over and grease the backing plates and the clips.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
I hear it at all speeds. As in not when I’m on the highway, but if I’m on a backroad going 50is MPH, I’ll hear it. Probably do a once over and grease the backing plates and the clips.
I hear that sound when my wheel bearing are about to wear out. Drive the car hard for 5 miles or so and then jack up the car and grab the wheel and shake it. There should be no play at all.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by s200059
I hear that sound when my wheel bearing are about to wear out. Drive the car hard for 5 miles or so and then jack up the car and grab the wheel and shake it. There should be no play at all.
That is supposedly a weak point on this car too. However I figured it wouldn’t affect me sooner as most of the guys that had the issue were running slicks. I’ll do that for sure.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII