New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Vanity plate question...

Old 12-13-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vanity plate question...

How much is it really?

If you cancel liability and collision for the winter will the DMV hold your plates?

If the DMV will hold your plates how does that work?

Ever had a problem because of a vanity plate?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Last year, I cancelled just collision on my car. I called AHFC and they told me I had to have comprehensive on the car in case the house burnt down, car got stolen, etc. It ended up saving me about $400. My insurance rates got cut in half this year due to new insurance company and 5 yrs. no tix or accidents so I'm not gonna bother cancelling collision this time. Oh yeah, as long as you cancel collision only, your plates will be safe.

I've had a few vanity plates too:

RGNASIAN ( Rajun Asian)
RYCEBRNR
HLOFFICR (Helllo Officer)
and most recent.......
Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I had the plate "TOP TEN" ( it was the name of my wife's fingernail buisness) for about 8 years on cars that were on the road year round. I didn't renew that plate when the new NY plates came out a couple years ago. Still have it in my garage.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:00 AM

I always used to just cancel the collision for the winter when I had just the CRX-Si, but now that I have it AND the S2000 I can see a savings of $500+ by removing liability ($500,000 coverage with a $1,000,000 rider) and collision on both cars; therefore I have to hand plates in.

I should call the DMV and see what they say. I'm really thinking about a custom plate.

SPA LDR

Old 12-14-2004, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,
Go to www.nydmv.state.ny.us for Q's 1-3. Re: Q 4. When I had a wife and she drove my car with the company plates there were issues. Being ID'ed in a hot SPA coupe is not always in ones' best intrest. That said i just ordered new plates for the Toyo "covr it". Ins man & insurit were taken. This last set of random plates DMV handed out locally were extremly ugly. They all started out with DAN. The ones on my SPA started out with CUC almost as ugly. Was glad to pay my $1 and get rid of those.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The DMV will store your plate if you request it. They do it for me, my plate is not vanity just a "county" #. The time they will store for you is limited, one year I think.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Dec 14 2004, 08:00 AM
I'm really thinking about a custom plate.

SPA LDR

That plate would suit you perfectly...is it still available?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:30 AM

Yup, it would be the perfect thing to go along with my email address www.spaleader.xxx

Maybe I'll look into it. The other choice would be MY SPA

I guess I don't worry about being noticed too much, I figure the Spa with a rollbar is enough to get anybody's attention they will never even notice the plate...
Old 12-16-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

I can actually be a lot of help to this subject.. I am an insurance agent for MetLife Auto & Home here in Rochester. Every company does this differently. With MetLife you can have just the comprehensive part to save some money but you would have to turn your plates to dmv (this is to make sure you don't drive the car). Comprehensive will protect your precious s2ks for anything other than collision so theft, fire, tree falling on your car, and all that will be covered. I know with State Farm in NY you don't even have to turn in your plates. All you have to do is just call your agent.

My insurance is due the end of this month so I'll just drop off the plates and save big $$ for the long 3 or 4 months that she will be parked. So if you are not gonna drive your car just park it and save lots of $$ for next springs..
Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you guys have loans out on the cars? I was told I can't take the plates off and I have to keep collision on as required by my loan.

Quick Reply: Vanity plate question...