New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Winter Storms and Dunlop Graspic 2s

Old 12-19-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storms and Dunlop Graspic 2s

Currently the wind is raging, the temperatures are dropping, and the snow is falling... heavily! Doug and Eric will appreciate that I managed to drive myself out of my snow covered driveway this morning without the aid of a tow truck. I couldn't believe it, myself. I'm not saying that it was easy, mind you, and admittedly the car was going up the driveway crab-style, but it never threatened to quit and that's all I ask.

After I made it to the highway, I drove to pick up some groceries and was shocked to see Ford Explorers and other 4X4s turning sideways and running up over curbs, while I drove happily by them. I'm not saying that an S with Dunlop Graspic 2s is better than a 4X4 or AWD equipped vehicle, but I am saying that driven carefully, an S will make it through greasily slick snow with the right tires. Truth in advertising makes me point out that the Graspic 2s are terrible in the rain or on a rain slick highway, but in snow, I'm convinced!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:37 PM

This is an impressive story, heh heh, the 4x4s and other SUV's sliding sideways but you in your S taking charge of the snow.

I'll keep the Graspic's in mind a few years down the road when I need to replace the Maxima's snow tires.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! For those of you who do not know, Skip's driveway is a bit tricky. Hmmm, how to describe? Okay, I got it; Skip's driveway has a steep incline. How steep? Think vertical wall and you are close.

As I have always said, people just don't understand how important the right tires are. I would not run the track in all season tires, nor would I expect to go through the winter without snow tires. I think often what happens is people in AWD or 4WD just figure they can get buy without buying 4 snows because they have AWD/4WD, but in reality they are wrong, as Skip witnessed...

And after all that, I will confess, I don't have snow tires on my truck. I can't see having two sets of tires and wheels for the truck, so I run an all-terrain tire year round. And for those unfamiliar, an all-terrain tire has very deep groves, and big tread blocks, right out onto the edge/sidewall of the tire, so on everything other than ice they are very very good. They can be a bit noisy in the summer, but oh well, can't have everything...

My A/T tire

When I get the Titan I'm going to try these out, see below. I have had the BFG A/T KO pictured above on my past 3 trucks and I like them a lot. However in the rain when you hit a puddle you can feel the tires ride right up onto the water. I think/hope the Bridgestone shown here will help eliminate this characteristic.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:52 AM

Skip, here is the difference we talked about.

Mom's Graspic DS-1

Your Graspic DS-2

Old 12-20-2004, 04:56 AM

Not fair, your Mother's are shinier!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:46 AM

This is my first winter with the S and it is riding on Michelin Arctic Alpins (Thanks, Dave ..) and it is driving great! I used to have snow tires on my
Prelude too, but the S handles better in snow (due to the excellent balance). We have not had too much snow, but there's ice and slick conditions everywhere due to the bone-chilling cold. So, I am still enjoying the drive everyday.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 AM

And the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S tires are working fine so far. No deep snow but I'd work from home in that case anyways...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Testut,Dec 20 2004, 08:56 AM
Not fair, your Mother's are shinier!
They are on Mom's car, so now they are muddier...
Old 12-20-2004, 04:48 PM

This is my first year (first time ever, actually) using snow tires. It definitely makes a huge difference. The difference is literally night and day. The tires handle the snow as if the snow wasn't even there. I can break, accelerate, and corner in the snow so easily. I have yet to engage ABS. Before, I was engaging it all the time.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 PM

Skip, you've gotta read this thread. I almost fell out of my chair.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256515

It's 2:30 in the morning and I just got home from a 25 minute ride that usually takes only 6-7 minutes normally.

It's the first snow of the year here on Long Island and also my first winter with the S. All I can say is WOW. I expected the worst with the car in the snow, (i'm a poor kid and can't afford snow tires) but it was even worse than I imagined. I literally drove 10 miles an hour and if I went much faster the car would lose control and start sliding around all by herself. There's only maybe an inch or so on the ground.

Well it seems that I'll certainly be saving up for some winter tires for next winter, and I'll be staying off the roads in any inclement weather. I advise anyone without winter tires to do the same.

The point of this post can be summed up in the following...Be safe everyone.

Quick Reply: Winter Storms and Dunlop Graspic 2s