New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

WNY cross-regional autocrosses for next season

Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down WNY cross-regional autocrosses for next season

Whew! The FLR autocross email list has been buzzing lately with various issues. Good ol' Aaron is jumping in with both feet with some of the most uninformed, ill-formed crap I've ever seen from someone who seems to take driving seriously.

As a result, I'd like to introduce a new old concept to the member of non-FLR region members. Most regions include out of region (OOR) events into their schedules and make a few of them points events for whatever series is run in the region. Lately FLR has only done this with the WNY Region and I'm starting a campaign early to get CNY, Glen and SNY Regions to coordinate with FLR so that each region will have an event that counts in FLR points. The reciprocal is always a good thing, too, so that FLR events draw from other regions.

Scheduling will start in ernest in the next few months so I'd like to ask each of you in other (non-FLR) regions to take an active stand at your club meetings to work together with all of the other adjacent regions to allow this to happen. I suspect this will be somewhat problematic with limited numbers of weekends that can be made to work so the more data sharing we do between clubs the better.

Additionally, there's been a lot of recent talk about an advanced driver training group to help those who are fast but not necessarily divisionally or nationally competitive. Dunno where that will lead but I suspect it will minimally end up with 1) another Evolution school hosted by FLR with at least Phase 2 offered as well as the introductory Phase 1 and 2) an ad hoc group of competitors working with and helping each other with walk-throughs, ride-alongs and sideline observations. It would potentially help me raise the bar and get more out of the car - if one buys into teaching old dogs new tricks. I know there's more but I tend to drive too conservatively. Besides, it'll be just plain fun beating Aaron in his new toy.

Thoughts? Commitments?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:20 AM

Oooohhhhh Skkkkip?

Oooohhhhh Errrrrric?

That's about all the help I can give ya Jeff...

Typically the GVC BMW CCA gets together in January to work out our dates. We have to wait until our Glen dates come in because they control our complete schedule, and then of course it is always nice to already have the SCCA dates so we can do our best to slip into the holes.

Please keep un informed, it sounds like yur proposal ought to be well received. Oh, and as a side note, with me no longer doing newsletter I might actually find the time to get over my parking lot filled with cones confusion...
Old 10-28-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A coordinated Upstate NY SCCA autoX schedule, along with specified out-of-region points events, was commonplace years ago. I know the Glen Region still identifies four out-of-region points events, one of which has been, traditionally, an FLR event. So much for the historical perspective... I'll pass along Jeff's suggestion to the Glen Region Solo II Board when they meet again, but that probably won't be for another month or more.

Jeff, does this signal a change in your attitude about driving great distances to attend autoXes or is it the opportunity to beat Aaron's Z06 which is the cause.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Testut,Oct 28 2004, 08:29 AM
Jeff, does this signal a change in your attitude about driving great distances to attend autoXes...
Careful Skip, Eric tells me you have the same problem...
Old 10-28-2004, 05:42 AM

Jeff,
Would be glad to raise the idea at STNY meeting on Nov. 6th. Aaron is beatable now but watch out when he gets A3s04's or other R compounds, sway bar, shocks, lighter muffler & alignment! BTW he has a Camaro for sale.
Nick
Old 10-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 28 2004, 08:32 AM
Careful Skip, Eric tells me you have the same problem...
Living in Ithaca puts me on the edge of 2 regions: Southern NY and Glen. As long as I don't have to drive any more than an hour, I'm ready, but that rules out Central NY, Western NY, Finger Lakes, Northeast Pennsylvania... I'll just have to go fishing on those dates.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:22 AM

And it rules out BIMP, ya poor sucker...
Old 10-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Testut,Oct 28 2004, 10:07 AM
As long as I don't have to drive any more than an hour, I'm ready
And to think, if you lived in the New England Region, you'd have to travel to another state for local events!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Oct 28 2004, 06:36 AM
Besides, it'll be just plain fun beating Aaron in his new toy.
I'm amazed at the comments Aaron has posted to the FLR list. I wonder if there is a disconnect between his brain and his fingers.

I'm willing to travel with you Jeff! Not to beat a Chevy, but to show what us slow drivers can do with a lowly Honda. (And I mean slow drivers. We maybe quick regionally, but you and I willingly admit we have much to learn!) Of course beating Aaron in his new toy will be fun!

It's interesting to note that he couldn't beat us in the Camaro which the SCCA decided was fast enough to belong in a higher class. And now that the S2000s move up to AS, he decides to bail and then brag that his SS car will easily beat the Hondas!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Oct 28 2004, 11:52 AM
And to think, if you lived in the New England Region, you'd have to travel to another state for local events!
Our new motto: "The autoXing's great in New York State."

Quick Reply: WNY cross-regional autocrosses for next season