NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Best place for loose diamonds? I remember some other members posting up about it here

Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Well still haven't gotten one yet haha. Now is the time though. Baby is on the way and want to finally go through with it.

Anyways obvious place turned it it was egl certified so always ate much lower. Passing on that place.

After seeing online prices for bluenile and b2c or something it is hard to swallow the price local stores sell them for. I would have to see the online diamond in person to see how it looks but better specs than local one, larger and a couple thousand less.

Looking at 1.4-1.5 ct Gia g or better color and ideal cut/excellent symmetry etc and with si1 clarity. Looking at those in person they look very bright to me,don't see anything without magnification and over all look really nice.
Local diamond place tries to convince me that bluenile sells the diamonds the others don't normally want but I obviously am not buying it as all qualities are available online.

Thing that sucks my gf went to local place and fell in love with the setting she found there and is exact one she wants. Ughh. I guess I could get that setting and bring them my stone I would buy online to have them set but would be awkward I feel lol.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Yes, you can do them separately.

I'm looking as well. Cindy and I got engaged about 2 weeks ago, but no ring yet. My cousin is a jeweler and he's been a great help - Unfortunately, he's in Michigan, so it's been email and phone. We looked locally for a setting and sent him pics and he sent us to his manufacturers to pick. We got a similar setting for a fraction of the cost.

For stones, he's working his contacts and I'm looking online. Here's an oddity:

When you look at bluenile.com or brilliance.com, you can actually find the same stone multiple times on the same site, at different prices. Kind of like employment headhunters, everyone wants a cut. Sometimes the person WITH the stone is selling it, other times, someone who KNOWS that someone has it is selling it - and then they buy it to resell it to you.

As for grading. He tells me that a near-colorless G/H/I, in an SI1/SI2 is where many people end up. Without magnification, anything in those stones would not be visible to the naked eye.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My local diamond dealer I was talking to found me a 1.41ct EGL-Israel certified diamond. It was rated as a D in color and SI1. After checking it with diamond dealer and myself looking at it it looks like it would be rated an H in color and SI2 with GIA. He has it for $9300 for the stone. Online I have found cheaper I believe but hard to tell what they really look like until you see them in person. A lot of the ones on Bluenile when I inquired about them they say they are not eye clean and or have some milky/couldyness to them.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 AM

Stick to GIA cert and avoid the Isreali dealers. There was one other certification company that was recommended, unfortunately, I don't recall off hand which.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Well still haven't gotten one yet haha. Now is the time though. Baby is on the way and want to finally go through with it.

Anyways obvious place turned it it was egl certified so always ate much lower. Passing on that place.

After seeing online prices for bluenile and b2c or something it is hard to swallow the price local stores sell them for. I would have to see the online diamond in person to see how it looks but better specs than local one, larger and a couple thousand less.

Looking at 1.4-1.5 ct Gia g or better color and ideal cut/excellent symmetry etc and with si1 clarity. Looking at those in person they look very bright to me,don't see anything without magnification and over all look really nice.
Local diamond place tries to convince me that bluenile sells the diamonds the others don't normally want but I obviously am not buying it as all qualities are available online.

Thing that sucks my gf went to local place and fell in love with the setting she found there and is exact one she wants. Ughh. I guess I could get that setting and bring them my stone I would buy online to have them set but would be awkward I feel lol.

i ended up doing the exact same thing.
Purchased the rock alone and she's been pretty much looking around for her perfect setting that she wants.
Just gotta be careful tho some of those jewelers like zales etc.. have their own line of rings and will not pair your rock with their setting at least thats what they said
And don't feel awkward because they're still getting some of your business
Old 08-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Done-

Yes, remember that there's a big markup on the setting (It's nearly 200% in some cases). I'm not sure there's a huge difference in the stones after going through the whole process with someone in the business. Obviously, if you have connections, you likely won't get charged a cut, and they might pass along a stone that otherwise would go into the pool. Dealers often get recycled stones, that pending many reasons, can be had cheaper than what you see. My cousin had 2 of these pass through, the first, when he saw it, he didn't like it. The 2nd is the one below. When we talked budget, he suggested spending a little more for that one.

Not sure where you are, but there is a place in Marlboro called Diamond Castle. They are relocating and have a big sale going on (check their website to see if they've moved yet). The settings we were looking at there (to get ideas) were marked 70% off, which came close to what I paid at cost for the setting below. Very similar in style and size.

2.20, E SI2, Princess Cut.