S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   NYC Metro Off Topic (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/nyc-metro-off-topic-223/)
-   -   Really Knicks?! Felton over Lin?! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/nyc-metro-off-topic-223/really-knicks-felton-over-lin-966146/)

jojipoji 07-15-2012 04:41 AM

Really Knicks?! Felton over Lin?!

I thought getting rid of Ewing was stupid and getting marbury even stupider. But now they in essence trade Lin for Felton who is a fat slob. I a no longer a Knicks fan. This is so stupid

driver #8 07-15-2012 07:38 AM

thats because jeremy lin is NOT worth 28.8 million...or whatever the rockets are stupid enough to pay him

atenzany62 07-15-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by driver #8 (Post 21861183)
thats because jeremy lin is NOT worth 28.8 million...or whatever the rockets are stupid enough to pay him

+1 i'm chinese myself and not a fan of him. he's got way too many turn overs.

felton was in the nba a lot longer and more experienced. i'm sure he won't be starting either. most likely j kidd will be the starting pg and take at least half of the playing time, maybe 24 minutes per game? rest of the times will probably be shared between felton, davis and bibby.

s.hasan546 07-15-2012 12:15 PM

:iagree:

He's costing more than 28.8 million tho. in his last year he would cost 30 million if you include the luxury tax. That would be stupid to pay.
This is actually a smart move. Finally a decision that isn't just to sell jerseys & actually make a winning team. This leaves us with good cap space for later on.

2ks2knyc 07-15-2012 05:19 PM

one of the very few times I will ever agree with a Bulls fan lol

Watch him get better though.

jojipoji 07-15-2012 06:56 PM

How does this leave the Knicks with cap space. They are paying three players almost max contracts amare, melo and chandler. The salary cap is around 70 mill. They won't be under the cap until 3 years later when all three of those expire, which is when lin's contract would be over. You guys really want j Kidd to run the Knicks? He is so slow now and doesn't have any game left. Felton is fat and overweight and not motivated. Look at his stats the last year and he was horrible.

Don't believe the sports writers that coddle dolans balls and are too scared to write anything negative towards him. There is no way they can get cp3 or any legitimate point guard. Because of their record they'll never get a great player in the draft. Lin is their best option going forward. This was a strict money move because MSG already got the time Warner money and they didnt want to pay the tax penalty. The only way the Knicks can get any player would be a sign and trade and there isn't anyone taking amares contract. The only Players the knicks will ever sign are over the hill players who sign veteren mid level exceptions.

s.hasan546 07-16-2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jojipoji (Post 21862321)
How does this leave the Knicks with cap space. They are paying three players almost max contracts amare, melo and chandler. The salary cap is around 70 mill. They won't be under the cap until 3 years later when all three of those expire, which is when lin's contract would be over. You guys really want j Kidd to run the Knicks? He is so slow now and doesn't have any game left. Felton is fat and overweight and not motivated. Look at his stats the last year and he was horrible.

Don't believe the sports writers that coddle dolans balls and are too scared to write anything negative towards him. There is no way they can get cp3 or any legitimate point guard. Because of their record they'll never get a great player in the draft. Lin is their best option going forward. This was a strict money move because MSG already got the time Warner money and they didnt want to pay the tax penalty. The only way the Knicks can get any player would be a sign and trade and there isn't anyone taking amares contract. The only Players the knicks will ever sign are over the hill players who sign veteren mid level exceptions.

u seriously think jeremy lin is worth $30 mil in his 3rd year alone? Yes he had some breakout games (mostly against shitty teams), but he alrdy has an injury and is not a proven pg to run a team. He can't play with Melo. He didn't even come bck in the playoffs when he was 85%. He could have easily played, any other pg thats worth that much would have played. Unfortunately this was a business decision.

Don't blame the knicks about this one. This is a contract that makes no sense to match. It's just simply too much money. Lin got greedy (don't blame him) on a team that gave him a shot when he was a D league player.

Stage1 07-16-2012 07:46 AM

J Kidd will only start if he stops getting duis :ph34r:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sunman 07-16-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546 (Post 21863366)

Originally Posted by jojipoji' timestamp='1342407411' post='21862321

u seriously think jeremy lin is worth $30 mil in his 3rd year alone? Yes he had some breakout games (mostly against shitty teams), but he alrdy has an injury and is not a proven pg to run a team. He can't play with Melo. He didn't even come bck in the playoffs when he was 85%. He could have easily played, any other pg thats worth that much would have played. Unfortunately this was a business decision.

Don't blame the knicks about this one. This is a contract that makes no sense to match. It's just simply too much money. Lin got greedy (don't blame him) on a team that gave him a shot when he was a D league player.

As a Lin fan way before most everyone knew who he was, I have a few things to say about this..

first of all... I really don't believe money is an issue here.. They got him for dirt cheap this season and he made the Knicks enough money in the 2011 season alone to pay for a good amount of that contract. MSG/timewarner dispute resolved? MSG stock skyrocketing? I'll be the first to admit that it is a pretty outrageous contract in yr 3 but it was set by the Rockets because the Knicks waited to see what his market value would be. The amount of revenue, marketing that Lin brings pays for his contract alone. If he turned out to be a bust, it wouldn't be the first large contract bust in Knicks history. His contract as well as others (Amare) would also be tradeable in year 3. However, if he turns out to be even better, the Knicks are going to make a killing off of him.

Yes, he's unproven for a full NBA season but he's not unproven as a player. You don't just get lucky and avg the #s he put up. People that don't know basketabll say he has "breakout games" against shitty teams. CP3/D-Will/Rose, 3 of the most elite PGs in the game don't put up those kinds of numbers on a nightly basis either. Do you expect him to have a triple double every single game? I've been following him for a long time and the kid can ball.. Just look at his stats and the #s he put up in the past season are better than Felton's at his prime.. and yes, Felton is out of shape, can't get to the rim and although experienced, not as quick or as talented as Lin is.

Don't even get me started with the 85% Steven A. Smith ESPN bullshit... that guy is an idiot plain and simple. How do you or anyone else know he could have "easily played?" Did you speak with his surgeons or team doctors? The Knicks didn't have a chance with or without Lin. He was coming back from Knee surgery, not a sprain/strain.. these things can come back to bite you in the ass in the future if you don't take care of it (Brandon Roy). To compare him to Jordan's game is idiotic in more ways than one.

driver #8 07-16-2012 04:07 PM

umm...just to compare

D. Rose puts up 21pts, 7 assist per game

Linsanity puts up 9pts, 4 assists

driver #8 07-16-2012 04:08 PM

and drose is a league mvp, 3 time all star

sunman 07-17-2012 09:45 AM

actually, Lin averaged something like 15 points, 6 assists a game. In his, for all intents and purposes, rookie season. Against play-off contenders, former champs and the defending champs. But then again, the 2 players are not comparable.

I'm not comparing elite PGs to Lin because he's not an elite PG (yet or if ever). What I'm saying is, even elite PGs don't produce like that on every single night so it is unfair to expect Lin to continue putting up those numbers on a nightly basis.

But back on topic, yes, Felton over Lin is a poor choice.

driver #8 07-17-2012 11:14 AM

but thats the thing...lin didnt do that on a nightly basis, he did it for a month

let him put up 15 pts 6 assists for 82 nights, then MAYBE he'll be worth 40% of what houston is offering

sunman 07-17-2012 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by driver #8 (Post 21867266)
but thats the thing...lin didnt do that on a nightly basis, he did it for a month

let him put up 15 pts 6 assists for 82 nights, then MAYBE he'll be worth 40% of what houston is offering

yeah, i don't disagree with you, like I said, he's not proven for a full season. But, the potential is there. The thing is, I really don't believe money (luxury taxes, etc) is the issue that people make it out to be (based on his marketability and the revenue he's generated for the Knicks in this season alone at the steal of a price they got him for). Also, Dolan's got deep pockets and has a history of spending freely.. more often on garbage than not.

Not to mention, this whole debacle could have been avoided had Dolan just signed him sooner..

acn684 07-17-2012 12:25 PM

Don't know where you guys are getting your facts from...He averaged 15 points per game with games he was thrown in for 2 minutes. The 25 games he started he averaged closer to 20/8.

See game log:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...299/jeremy-lin

sunman 07-17-2012 12:38 PM

yeah, i'm talking all the games he played in this season, not just the ones he started.. although, it's probably better to only take into consideration the games he started in. Still, can't compare him to elite PGs yet, even with those #s.

acn684 07-18-2012 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sunman (Post 21867569)
yeah, i'm talking all the games he played in this season, not just the ones he started.. although, it's probably better to only take into consideration the games he started in. Still, can't compare him to elite PGs yet, even with those #s.

That's why you can't compare his averaged stats over the season. Playing for 3 garbage minutes gives you additional games of zero stats which lower your overall ratings. Its like playing 1 minute in 9 games doing nothing but dribbling; and then playing a whole game scoring 30 points. Your average will be 3 points-per-game.

If you look at his Points Per Minute - it is up to par with a good point guard. Not Rondo/CP3/Wade numbers, but very good numbers for a "rookie"

sunman 07-18-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by acn684 (Post 21869524)

Originally Posted by sunman' timestamp='1342557497' post='21867569

That's why you can't compare his averaged stats over the season. Playing for 3 garbage minutes gives you additional games of zero stats which lower your overall ratings. Its like playing 1 minute in 9 games doing nothing but dribbling; and then playing a whole game scoring 30 points. Your average will be 3 points-per-game.

If you look at his Points Per Minute - it is up to par with a good point guard. Not Rondo/CP3/Wade numbers, but very good numbers for a "rookie"

Yes, he had a lot of garbage minutes before the Nets game.. he actually played a good amount of minutes in the previous 2 games before that, but didn't put up outstanding numbers. What's funny is, most of those times in the garbage minutes when he'd go in, he would pick up an assist or 2 and a steal -- this was when Douglas was running the point.. It was so obvious that he was such a better fit to run the team than TD (Which isn't saying much).

BTW, Wade isn't a PG, more of a combo guard if anything.

Also, good read below, which addresses the 85% bullshit that Steven A. Smith came up with as well as other things like money, etc.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ive/index.html

ricehero 07-18-2012 12:02 PM

Sometimes 26 games is all that takes for any GM to possibly take a risk on a PG. Having known that, Dolan should've just gave him a contract before this whole thing could've went down. Considering also Houston basically unloaded there back court, they were pretty much at this point desperate. I am sold on this kid? Not completely but hopefully this season he will have a chance to prove himself with a full season. I don't have to worry about the Mike Woodson offense of Melo ISOs all day.

driver #8 07-18-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by acn684 (Post 21867516)
Don't know where you guys are getting your facts from...He averaged 15 points per game with games he was thrown in for 2 minutes. The 25 games he started he averaged closer to 20/8.

See game log:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...299/jeremy-lin

i was looking at his career stats...via nba.com

personally, i dont care if at first all he was doing was playing garbage time, if he was good he would've been starting since day one...

did D.Rose EVER play garbage time?

linsanity lasted for 3 weeks, NY needs to get over it already :LOL:

dales2000 07-18-2012 05:34 PM

There were many reasons why the Knicks did not give Lin that money and the biggest one was that there would be players in the looker room who are better than him and did not get that type of contract and it will cause a problem if he didnt produce in ny. Does he deserve the money based on his small body of work? No. Can he play? Yes. Will he ever be more than an average player? Maybe only time will tell. He was smart in signing the deal he got but there are a lot of people I would sign at that price before him. And Felton will be ok if he loses weight.

dales2000 07-18-2012 05:37 PM

Let's not forget miami owned him. He needs to work on his handle. I'll be more sold on him when he can handle the ball against the press

orangebarius 07-30-2012 08:54 AM

the rockets overpaid for lin and asik. no idea why the rockets did that besides that they were hoping their original teams would match and hurt their future cap space. lin and asik for $50+ mil? that's rediculous. lin had 1 good month and asik averages 3 ppg and 5 rebounds. the rockets are rediculous. they're going to pay them $30 mil combined in the 3rd years of their contracts. both players wont be relevent in 3 yrs.

the knicks are smart to not have matched that. it's a rediculous amount of money for a player who is not proven and can't play with your #1 superstar (melo). personally i think the knicks should have traded carmello this offseason, but that wont happen. he's a ballhog and will not win you a championship. he doesnt play defense either, like most of the knicks. felton is a decent point guard. lets be honest, no team right now is coming out of the east besides the heat. the bulls are injured, boston is old and the heat just got stronger by adding ray allen. all we can do is hope the thunder can beat them in the finals next yr.

driver #8 07-30-2012 03:30 PM

the bulls are gonna tank next year, shoot for a lottery pick next summer and then come out strong in 2013-14 with a healthy D. Rose

orangebarius 07-31-2012 06:39 AM

whats sad is the bulls will win 20 less games and still make the 6th seed. the east is that weak.