Any broadband and TV knowledge here? - Page 5 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Any broadband and TV knowledge here?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
dLAN650+ is one of the Devolo (a brand name) range of powerline 'internet-over-mains' products.
Nas is an acronym for Network Attached Storage, used to store films, music etc to 'serve' your network.
NUC PC is a tiny PC that you can attach to the internet to stream 4k TV signals to feed into your TV.
TP-Link another brand name (that I have) for a range of powerline 'internet-over-mains' products.
Patch leads are short (~1 metre) cables used e.g. to plug your smart TV into the internet.

I agree and hold my hands up for some jargon BUT, as I pointed out, you need to talk to the architect/sparks as to why he has given you - four sockets, with five coax cables and five cat6 cables in three different configurations i.e. 1 of (one coax + two cat 6), 1 of (two coax + one cat 6) and 2 of (one coax + one cat 6). In your cupboard the five coax cables and five cat 6 cables are to connect to what? I suggested the architect/sparks (to whom you conveyed your requirements) has some devices/functions in mind and he is the person to ask, we are not mind readers on here. The other relevant issue is that Sky Q is a whole major upgrade in terms of networking and multi room TV watching, around which I presume you/he are planning? Here is a review from What Hifi which has alerted me to a whole new world of Sky For example, it give a clue to my (unanswered) question to you about how to command the Sky Q box hidden in a cupboard - it uses bluetooth, so line of sight is not needed.

Do keep us posted we can all learn from this. Sorry for any confusion I personally may have caused.
No apol reqd Rog but appreciated anyway.

I presented 'the problem' to two different experts.

One estimated "about £20K" to turn the home into a mini GCHQ - a good example of 'not listening skills'.

The other quoted £2K to deliver what I want via an aerial and other gubbins. Seemed a lot of money to me when the vast bulk of the wiring is in situ but I do suffer with a postcode premium.

I have decided to let Sky sort the TVs out via this setup:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wa...-the-same-time

Thanks to a variety of discounts and offers the cost to watch three separate TVs independently of each other is a one off £100 and my monthly subscription.

I am going to treat the Wifi as a separate challenge but the Sky router currently in its box will shortly be installed in the cupboard and then we will see what sort of range it has.

In the meantime I will talk to the architect and sparks to understand the logic of the layout installed.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
I don't agree. The most complex concepts can be simplified and explained clearly without the use of jargon and other gobblededook. Jargon is simply a convenient shorthand for those in the know.
I still disagree because experts love to use it whilst quoting silly prices. It doesn't bother me because the jargon is my world but that's not to say I care for it.

Watch out for Sky Q - despite what they say, the 2 boxes are better off on cable than WiFi. You get weird sync issues with voice and picture and I'm still not convinced about reliability either. Had more freezes and resets with new Sky tech.

edit: Just to add, when you spend all day talking about this stuff by the time you get home into your free time, acronyms and 'nerdspeak' is about all you can be bothered to type out.

The things i'd want in an internet equpped home are and in no particular order;

Meshed WIFI - the ability to wander around the house without the need to enter different WIFI details.
Cabled network devices - fine for connecting WIFI components. Meshed WIFI works much better this way. Some of the cheaper ones use WIFI to do the Mesh which is no use if signal strength between floors / rooms is an issue. The more the signal bounces between, the slower it gets.
Fibre internet -- speeds of at least 40mb download / 20mb upload are preferred when you're sharing with people / TV
Sky downloads go over your internet - hence the requirement for decent internet.
HomePlug is ok but the actual transfer rates are NOT as good as proper CAT5/6 cable running to a decent switch. Homeplug is susceptible to interference and does NOT cross phases although it will move around rings on the same phase. As ever, it's down to cable quality and interference. The units are generally plug and play and are an easy way around running cables all over the place.
PoE devices are neat - power is provided over the network cable but you need an injector to put the power in or a fairly expensive ( relatively) network switch.

As ever - you need someone to decipher all this bollocks and fit you something that YOU can operate. Something that can be fixed by a simple reboot stuff and then works again.

If you just want to use it whilst you live there, SkyQ is fine. Couple of Smart TVs and a basic 3 or 4 unit Mesh WIFI network should suffice. Then your router simply provides the internet and base network stuff. the Mesh provides WIFI and a decent switch keeps it all connected. Which is essentially what I do here.

I wouldn't have a smart house even if you paid me - i can't imagine anything more annoying than computers being in charge of stuff.

Last edited by unclefester; 10-02-2018 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to unclefester For This Useful Post:
nomadicS2k (10-02-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 AM

I run a thing called a loftbox, a sky box can send a coax to that and share sky round the house but only one channel at a time (via coax), it allows control from any wired to and shares any aeriaa connection too
​​​​​
It's not HD but sky is so rarely used now it's not worth investment, all my none smart TVs have Chromecast, you should hook up your CAT6s to your router or a gigabit switch connected to that, your smart TVs can then plug into these.

Beyond that you just need to get good wifi for any other devices, lowers suggestion being a very good one for that

I don't know about Q but sky hd HDMI output is not easily shared

Chromecast works for my TV in the garage brilliantly

Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 PM

My tuppence worth would be not to hardwire unless you can change them easily. Whatever you fit will be out of date in a couple of years.

Buy the best WiFi router you can and WiFi the arse out of everything. My Nighthawk hits everywhere in the house across three floors and provides around 80-90mbps to devices used in parallel.

Given that's several TVs using Netflix/Amazon, PCs, iPads, phones and Macs, at 5ghz and the other junk like consoles and WiFi doorbells on 2.4ghz, it's plenty. More to the point, it's scalable as tech improves without replastering.

The key is having a strong incoming signal which is really dependent on provider and location. I get 200mbps from Virgin optic fibre so it's simple. And a good router.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 AM

Sky install this weekend so we shall see

I'm hoping the money saved will pay for the TVs
Old 11-10-2018, 05:41 AM

Just an update

Sky did the install

I now have Sky Q in three separate rooms and good wifi throughout the property so the simplest and cheapest option came through

The various cat6 sockets can be covered up for the next owner

Needed a telly to test everything so bought one of these - highly recommended for the money:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...78414-pdt.html

65 incher incoming
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Just an update

Sky did the install

I now have Sky Q in three separate rooms and good wifi throughout the property so the simplest and cheapest option came through

Needed a telly to test everything so bought one of these - highly recommended for the money:

65 incher incoming
Show off, you had to get the top of the range 55" just for testing.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
Show off, you had to get the top of the range 55" just for testing.
trust me, I wanted the big 'un but it was TOO big for the kitchen and there's nowhere else to store it for now
Old 11-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Just an update

Sky did the install

65 incher incoming
Apart from the size of your test TV what is the detail of the Sky Q solution?
And did you ever find out what the architect/sparks intended with the Cat6/coax sockets? (I guess not).

Pretty useless thread really
Old 11-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Apart from the size of your test TV what is the detail of the Sky Q solution?
And did you ever find out what the architect/sparks intended with the Cat6/coax sockets? (I guess not).

Pretty useless thread really
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-...u-need-to-know

I think the architect wanted to guarantee a signal throughout the property

The cost was negligible but the wireless signal strength is excellent rendering the cabling redundant for me

Still, some future owner might want to use it