Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Apple 'quality'

Old 06-03-2015, 01:48 AM

Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default Apple 'quality'

And people wonder why MBP have an overheating problem.

Yes, they are so well built that the GPU heats up so much that it unsolders itself from the board and subsequently fails, Apples solution to this ( after being forced by the courts in the USA to admit there is an issue ) is to replace the offending cheap part with an identical one that will fail in exactly the same way.

Genius!!!

Compare that to a laptop with a proper thermal cooling solution.

It annoys me beyond belief that Apple sell something as quality and people accept that solely on the basis of how it looks.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Fashion over function ... that's Apple.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM View Post

Fashion over function ... that's Apple.
You could cook an egg on the MBP once the thermal paste dries out - that and the fans don't really direct air in and out ... they just throw it about ... and since the board isn't protected from the hot air .. that heats up too and then the CPU throttles performance due to the heat build up.

Those heatsinks are < 2mm thick and the radiators are tiny yet the CPU is trying to work at the same speed as it does in the Dell machine.

It's just shit. I've taken more laptops to bits than i'd care to mention and Dell are the ONLY ones that are designed properly. Dell are still monkeys for not using decent quality thermal paste - but that's an issue i can get around in about 20 minutes. The same fix does not work for the MBP, once the GPU lifts off the board - it's dead.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:05 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Mugen888, an ex-S2000 owner, makes a living repairing Macs. He used to to be based in WGC and once showed me a tool that he uses to re-solder chips on the motherboards.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 AM

Mugen888, an ex-S2000 owner, makes a living repairing Macs. He used to to be based in WGC and once showed me a tool that he uses to re-solder chips on the motherboards.
Yep you can sometimes reflow the solder and fix the problem but the inherent crap design remains - eventually the problem will come back and then you have a £1800 paperweight.

They had similar issues with their ATI graphics driven iMacs.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mugen888, an ex-S2000 owner, makes a living repairing Macs.
I bet he is absolutely effin' minted. I recall having an iMac in my old office, PSU was dodgy. Quoted over £490 for repair from Apple, a little less than the cost of a new unit at the time.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 AM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
I've taken more laptops to bits than i'd care to mention and Dell are the ONLY ones that are designed properly.
My Dell XPS broke after 13 months - the battery actually broke which meant it would power down off mains. Not ideal. I fitted an aftermarket part which has been fine since.

However it is much better than the samshyte one i had prior. and half the price of equiv spec macbook
Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 AM

All of the Precision workstations we buy and use come with a 3 year included NBD on site ( at any site ) warranty - no need to trek off to some shopping precinct and wait for a Genius to become free.

Covers everything except accidental damage.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 AM

Liked 28 Times in 28 Posts

The metal case has always made heavy CPU usage a temperate problem. My old PowerPC MBP used to run at 76c 'on idle' and would cook my nuts whilst running loads of audio channels and realtime fx processing. It's an odd choice, but who doesn't like the look of brushed silver metal (and blue LEDs)

We should all just accept that Apple are as bad as Micro$oft these days, and live with it. Or run Linux on some custom rig. Or use them all for the things they are good at.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG View Post
We should all just accept that Apple are as bad as Micro$oft these days
You mean Windows PC manufacturers? Microsoft don't make PC hardware.

Quick Reply: Apple 'quality'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands