Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Brexit, the final solution

Old 02-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Brexit, the final solution

Another blast of common sense from Simon Jenkins in the Guardian today.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-norway-option

The Norway option might cost us a bit but as a member of the EEA they are in the EU single market. This is vital if we are to keep open borders in Ireland as everyone is saying we must (and we surely must) and keep the smooth flow of parts and part assemblies back and forth (mostly Germany but also France and Belgium) in the car building industry. So a big Tick.

Norway is allowed to have its own trade deals and represents itself in the WTO etc, whereas we are fronted by the EU and are only a 1/28th part. Tick.

They also are outside the CAP and the CFP i.e. manage their own fishing waters and agriculture (what little there is.) Tick.

All we have to solve is free movement of people, breaking free of the ECJ - and price to pay (won't be free!)

edit: oh and access for services. I for one think the City is smart enough to manage without 'passporting'.

Last edited by arsie; 02-03-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Why don't we just invade Europe and then rule them all from westminster to our satisfaction( revenge would be sweet ), we could call it the British Empire? Oh wait a minute, something sounds familiar.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 AM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Or we could devolve Ireland?

​​​​​​It's not like we're mates is it?

While we're at it I think the Welsh hate us too.. I can see a plan here
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 AM
UK Moderator

Liked 84 Times in 82 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j View Post
Why don't we just invade Europe and then rule them all from westminster to our satisfaction( revenge would be sweet ), we could call it the British Empire? Oh wait a minute, something sounds familiar.
Well, invading France would be really easy, no resistance would be offered as usual.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:30 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

I think the real reason the EU want an open boarder with Ireland is with trade as it stands is because with a closed border, smuggling would be rife, they are not worried about the crime and crooks making money, just worried about losing all the cross border taxation.

Last edited by richmc; 02-05-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
Well, invading France would be really easy, no resistance would be offered as usual.
They would just love that, all the middle eastern refugees would run a mile back home to their women and children that they left there. After all we all know how quick they are to flee a war zone.

Last edited by richmc; 02-05-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:44 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

That guy waving his hand looks like Eddy Jones
Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 AM

Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts

Dr Richard North pointed out some time ago that the 'Norway Option' was in fact, the only possibility as a result of being hamstrung by myriads of complex regulations.

The least worst option, at any rate.

Unfortunately in attempting to pander to all sides at once, the incompetents in charge seem to have produced a list of irreconcilable demands instead...
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I am sick of hearing about Brexit and how complicated it's all going to be

I suspect I'm not alone, which is why threads like this, which you'd normally expect to run to dozens of pages, now dry up after two or three

Wake me up when it's all done and dusted.

FYI I will be somewhere else.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently reading Adults in the Room by Yanis Varoufakis, which as well as being a great read is a great insight into why 'negotiating' with the EU is pretty much impossible. It's their way or the highway as Cameron found out. Lets leave ASAP and quickly get on with life outside the EU imo.

Varoufakis is a lefty, and I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he seems more sensible than the current breed of liberal leftys over here, he's principled and he can back his views up with reasoned arguments.

Quick Reply: Brexit, the final solution

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands