Brexit, the final solution - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Brexit, the final solution

Old 02-21-2018, 06:17 AM

I agree with the above BUT we do need to agree something that keeps the goods flowing back and forth without hindrance AND we need to have a solution that works for the island of Ireland. Walking away/ throwing toys out the pram is tempting of course to vent, but only a last resort, in my view. Going around Barnier to the EU states seems to be the way forward even if we have to come back to him to dot the I's and cross the T's.

Immigration will be sorted: we do need EU temporary labour to do the dirty work our indigenous benefit scroungers won't. So just rules. Though to police our borders we do need to drastically beef up the border forces, not to mention our armed forces.

For once Guy V makes sense: hybrid member of the single market with EU rules and ECJ oversight. Ok (there will be a price though!)

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
Wake me up when it's all done and dusted.

FYI I will be somewhere else.
is this about it?

Last edited by arsie; 02-21-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 AM

As the media storms roll on, I have been researching on the NI border with Eire and value of goods shipped.

The border is 310 miles long, has approx 250 roads that cross over and back in the Troubles there were 20 armed/manned/fortified official crossings. Rumour is that as of today the Eire government's customs people are making contingency plans to have ... 20 official EU entry points!

With the experience of ANPR (approx 8,500 static and mobile cameras) and links to commercial systems such as the various zones in London and the Dartford Crossing (amongst others) I am pretty sure that, given time, some system could be devised to monitor the NI border with Eire and interfacing with cars registered in Eire too. There is a similar system to ANPR in Eire, as I know to my cost when I accidentally avoided a motorway toll charge on the way across to Galway from Dublin last summer. The euros 8.50 fine caught up with me back in Blighty

Unlike a lot of government IT projects which fail due to scope creep/ scale/ too many stakeholders, a digital customs monitoring system is doable.

As to the trade volumes, NI sends about £4billion to Eire and Eire about a third of that to NI. Other exports abroad from NI total about £8billion and it sends about £22billion to the rest of the UK. Faced with those figures, an EU customs 'border' in the Irish Sea between NI and the rest of the UK is going to be over our - and the DUP's - dead body!!

It strikes me that a major issue for Eire must be the goods sent via the UK to the rest of the EU, such as agriculturals. Though that is Eire's problem not ours I am sure with a will to succeed any customs systems could encompass their requirements to go swiftly via the UK to Europe, possibly as part of the systems we are going to have to devise to allow frictionless transhipment of auto parts and assemblies back and forth. I would see a one-way in then one way out as a simple subset of the bigger more complicated system(s) that might be needed for the pharma and automotive industries.

Thoughts anyone?

p.s. I worked at Southend once back when it was HM Customs & Excise. There were some clever people there then. Not so sure about the Telford lot

Last edited by arsie; 02-28-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 AM

FYI I will be somewhere else.
Like so many of those in favour of Brexit ...
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 AM

Ah a returning lost soul as Brexit morphs into Brino
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 AM

The way I see it is if we just walk away we benefit to the tune of whatever the "divorce bill" would have been, and gain the ability to trade freely with the rest of the world under WTO rules. If the EU refuses to trade with us it will be tough but doable, pretty soon they will find a solution as they need to export to the UK.

On that day we can turn around and say the Irish republic is not part of the UK, and it's up to the EU to work out the border issue, that has all along been nothing to do with the Good Friday agreement but all about preventing smuggling, and loss of tax revenue for the EU. So their problem not ours, why they seem to think it's down to the UK government to come up with a solution I will never grasp!

By walking away we can tear up all the impositions the EU are trying to apply and write our own rule book, we keep the good bits of EU legislation and throw out what we don't like.

I'm fully in favour of "repossessing" our utility, services, and sold of abroad industry and products from the EU and abroad to the UK back on it's feet and stopping UK earned profits going to the likes of Tata etc.

it will not be easy but I'm beginning to think a hard Brexit will be the best for the UK. As far as losing cheap labour from the EU goes, we can issue work visas as we wish, there's no need to change that, but common sense dictates no benefits for EU citizens and to establish UK labour rework our stupid benefits system so instead of paying people not to work, make it damn hard to live without working.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
The way I see it is if we just walk away we benefit to the tune of whatever the "divorce bill" would have been, and gain the ability to trade freely with the rest of the world under WTO rules. If the EU refuses to trade with us it will be tough but doable, pretty soon they will find a solution as they need to export to the UK.

On that day we can turn around and say the Irish republic is not part of the UK, and it's up to the EU to work out the border issue, that has all along been nothing to do with the Good Friday agreement but all about preventing smuggling, and loss of tax revenue for the EU. So their problem not ours, why they seem to think it's down to the UK government to come up with a solution I will never grasp!

By walking away we can tear up all the impositions the EU are trying to apply and write our own rule book, we keep the good bits of EU legislation and throw out what we don't like.

I'm fully in favour of "repossessing" our utility, services, and sold of abroad industry and products from the EU and abroad to the UK back on it's feet and stopping UK earned profits going to the likes of Tata etc.

it will not be easy but I'm beginning to think a hard Brexit will be the best for the UK. As far as losing cheap labour from the EU goes, we can issue work visas as we wish, there's no need to change that, but common sense dictates no benefits for EU citizens and to establish UK labour rework our stupid benefits system so instead of paying people not to work, make it damn hard to live without working.
I agree with you

Trouble is, many people can't remember the days before the EU

When we still managed to travel (easily) people came here and life went on much as it does now

The biggest delays I have experienced at borders have been in the days of 'free movement'...

Project Fear 2 is now well underway though

Today it was the value of the pound/euro

Currencies fluctuate, which is why there is an industry feeding off it

I wonder if the French and Spanish remember their francs and pesetas

And how they would also fluctuate
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 AM

I wonder if the French and Spanish remember their francs and pesetas

And how they would also fluctuate
Or the Italian Lira, god that went into terminal freefall!

As someone who was around pre common market and EU, Great Britain did pretty well most of the time, it's the great sell off that cut our balls off, now we have nowt left, and need to rebuild it, most of the rest of the world wouldn't have a clue how to build industry they just want to buy it off the shelf.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
As someone who was around pre common market and EU
Jesus that was 45 years ago. So you who I thought were young boys are almost of pensionable age too
Old 08-01-2018, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Jesus that was 45 years ago. So you who I thought were young boys are almost of pensionable age too
Some of us are well past pension age !!:
Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Not quite there yet but just around the corner, my pension beckons soon and I remember crossing European borders with slight delays, time to be British again, but there is no need for those who want to come and work to be turned away, work and take the money but come for a hand out and it’s time for a boot up the jacksy.

Quick Reply: Brexit, the final solution

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands