Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Brexit, the final solution

Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

travelling across European borders was not more difficult pre free movement

goal posts have also moved due to increases in population, the terrorism threat and rubbish border control procedures

anyone returning from continental Europe via an English channel port will tell you (after an hour or more queueing) that 'free movement' back to your own country is a joke

as for passport control at UK airports...
Old 08-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
travelling across European borders was not more difficult pre free movement

goal posts have also moved due to increases in population, the terrorism threat and rubbish border control procedures

anyone returning from continental Europe via an English channel port will tell you (after an hour or more queueing) that 'free movement' back to your own country is a joke

as for passport control at UK airports...
After a road trip round France (June) and Eurostar/Rhine cruise (July) I can attest to absolutely zero wait at customs. The only slight delay was returning with our dog due to being first timers we were not familiar with the sequence. We quite carefully chose to avoid the school holiday season / strike season.

On the current talk of allowing EU people preferential visas provided they have a job to go to, I have no problem with that. We need our fruit and veg picked and they work hard.

That just leaves to be sorted from the Chequers white paper and the EU kick back thus far ...

a) the Heath Robinson idea that we will collect EU customs dues
b) on-going social and environmental rules applying
c) the ECJ over any rule book disputes
d) our annual EU subscription.

I for one am not daunted by simply going to WTO rules and letting them whistle for their £40billion one time cost of withdrawal.

And as richmc says above, the Irish border is the EU's problem. Let them solve it.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 PM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

The Heath Robinson customs collection could work to our advantage, say if we charged £39Bn to set it up and thereafter the EU paid the running costs, also enabling the employment of many displaced civil servants.

The idea of an ongoing subscription is like a big version of Amazon prime, pay a fee to get "free" delivery and other perks. I don't bother with Amazon prime.

Last edited by richmc; 08-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:53 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
The Heath Robinson customs collection could work to our advantage, say if we charged £39Bn to set it up and thereafter the EU paid the running costs, also enabling the employment of many displaced civil servants.

The idea of an ongoing subscription is like a big version of Amazon prime, pay a fee to get "free" delivery and other perks. I don't bother with Amazon prime.
Haha as if the EU will not only agree to us collecting their customs payments but also agree to us charging them for it - are you

(Agree about Amazon Prime!) but if we agree/the EU accept us applying their rules, like Norway we will have to pay.

It has been said that we should expect to pay pretty much what we give as an EU member.

The difference being that we'd have zero say in setting the rules.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Haha as if the EU will not only agree to us collecting their customs payments but also agree to us charging them for it - are you

(Agree about Amazon Prime!) but if we agree/the EU accept us applying their rules, like Norway we will have to pay.

It has been said that we should expect to pay pretty much what we give as an EU member.

The difference being that we'd have zero say in setting the rules.
This is why I've come around to the walk away and get stuffed scenario, a lot of business reporting is saying if we did it would be far worse for the EU, they would have to come begging to us for trade agreements. But of course our PM would wet her tena-ladies rather than show some backbone and tell them to get stuffed.

As for paying as much as we do now, I looked up that report and the reporter got his millions and billions mixed up, Norway actually pay about one tenth. https://www.norway.no/en/missions/eu...-contribution/

And having no say in their rules, that's OK because we would be setting our rules.

Last edited by richmc; 08-16-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

As ever I dgaf about the detail of shenanigans of politicians but my observation is they are all the sort who do not get shit done

So a no deal brexit is where my money would be.

I'd avoid invetsments which rely on imports or exports, retail will be more carnage imo.

Most big service companies worth their salt have acted already setting up additional/alternate offices as needed and that is a huge chunk of our economy.

I will watch with interest purely from managing my pension. I wouldn't trust May et al with my cat and I ****ing hate cats

Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

... I've come around to the walk away and get stuffed scenario, a lot of business reporting is saying if we did it would be far worse for the EU, they would have to come begging to us for trade agreements. But of course our PM would wet her tena-ladies rather than show some backbone and tell them to get stuffed.

As for paying as much as we do now, I looked up that report and the reporter got his millions and billions mixed up, Norway actually pay about one tenth. https://www.norway.no/en/missions/eu...-contribution/

And having no say in their rules, that's OK because we would be setting our rules.
I agree right now the sensible money and even Nottm_S2's must be on the no deal end game.

Tory party membership isn't going to let May stay if she gives much more.

Interesting times. Even if they're all on school holidays
Old 08-20-2018, 01:05 AM
jml

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
As ever I dgaf about the detail of shenanigans of politicians but my observation is they are all the sort who do not get shit done

So a no deal brexit is where my money would be.

I'd avoid invetsments which rely on imports or exports, retail will be more carnage imo.

Most big service companies worth their salt have acted already setting up additional/alternate offices as needed and that is a huge chunk of our economy.

I will watch with interest purely from managing my pension. I wouldn't trust May et al with my cat and I ****ing hate cats

Real estate sales to uk residents is picking up rather nicely in the Périgord.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jml View Post
Real estate sales to uk residents is picking up rather nicely in the Périgord.
All I can say (although I've enjoyed holidays in the region) good luck, good bye, and don't expect to be welcomed back when it backfires. And that includes Nigel "I'm backing brexit, but looking after my arse" Lawson who has applied for French nationality. I always knew he was a complete two faced piece of female genitalia.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM
UK Moderator

Liked 84 Times in 82 Posts

All I can say (although I've enjoyed holidays in the region) good luck, good bye, and don't expect to be welcomed back when it backfires. And that includes Nigel "I'm backing brexit, but looking after my arse" Lawson who has applied for French nationality. I always knew he was a complete two faced piece of female genitalia.
No he hasn't: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8377346.html

Quick Reply: Brexit, the final solution

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands