Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice
View Poll Results: Which team will win the Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean?
Australia
28.57%
South Africa
25.00%
India
3.57%
Pakistan
3.57%
Sri Lanka
7.14%
New Zealand
0%
West Indies
7.14%
England
3.57%
One of the minnows - Bermuda?!
3.57%
Who gives a stuff?
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Cricket World Cup

Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricket World Cup

Right, I'm looking forward to this tournament now, but don't think I'm blinded by optimism - I really don't think England can win it. On our day we have the ability, but it's that consistency that we lack.

And for the same reason, I'm discounting New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India. Great teams all, and I'm sure two or three of them will be in the semis and then one will be in the final... but I remember the drubbings Australia handed to Pakistan and India in the last two finals, when I expected them to be close.

Windies - well, they haven't got enough pace in their attack but I think Lara will have a glorious swansong on his home turf and I really do think they have an outside chance of winning their third World Cup...

However, for me the winner is going to come from Australia and South Africa. The absence of Lee means Shaun 'Let's see if I can hit the strip this time' Tait will be in for the Aussies - fast, but about as accurate as a 17th century musket. Ponting and Gilchrist's absence from the Chappell-Hadlee tournament will mean they're fresh, and good God Ponting is a superb batsman...

But I think this is South Africa's year. They have a very strong batting line-up and Pollock remains as effective a death bowler as he ever has been - yorkers out of the box every time in the dying overs. Ntini has improved immeasurably and their only real weakness, that I can see, is a lack of a spinner. So I'd say a Saffer-Aussie final, with the Springboks winning it (and indeed, the group game they've got with Aus in the first round), with perhaps the Windies and New Zealand in the semis.

Any other thoughts from our cricket fans on the forum?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM

I've been patriotic and voted SA - not sure they'll win, they are consistently inconsistent.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 AM

Group A looks a little unbalanced :

Group A:
Australia
South Africa
Scotland
The Netherlands.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 AM

Yes, I'm sure the Netherlands were delighted when they saw it!

I can't see any of the minnows getting through to the Super 8s. I think it'll be the big eight Test nations in there.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 AM

I reckon the West Indies have a very good chance. They looked very good in the Champions Trophey and home advantage could be a big factor. They will have to bat teams out of the game to win though.

The Aussies will miss Brett Lee. He has been a key part of their one-day success and is an excellent lower order thrasher.

South Africa look in very good nick. Some world class players could get them to the final.

As for England, I believe the series in Australia was a blip. I so want them to perform well in a World Cup but I can't see it happening. I don't think we have enough GREAT players that can win matches. Our middle order still seems to collapse alarmingly on a regular basis and losing Harmison won't help.

For me Windies v South Africa in the final - Windies to win
Old 02-27-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Feb 27 2007, 11:26 AM

Group A:
Australia
South Africa
Scotland
The Netherlands.

Scotland have a team?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Feb 27 2007, 11:26 AM

Group A:
Australia
South Africa
Scotland
The Netherlands.
Got to be Scotland to win that group, by a country mile
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Feb 27 2007, 12:48 PM

Scotland have a team?

They certainly have an invitation
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 AM

I've gone for Sri Lanka...but any one other than the Aussies will do!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:06 AM

I think the sub-continent teams definitely have a chance and are in with a shout, CB... but they're always prone to dreadful off-days, where they really underperform. SL have Vaas and Murali, which should give them a decent, controlled attack... but remember there are (uncharacteristically) slow wickets and short boundaries in the Caribbean this year, and I think genuine pace and accuracy will prevent bigger scores being racked up.

I certainly can't see nurdling batsmen like Colly being a massive success in the Windies; nudged 1s and 2s will be hard to come by, I suspect.

I would LOVE to be proved wrong, though, and see Colly repeat the form he showed at the beginning and end of the Ashes/ODI tour.

Somehow, I fear we'll see the form he showed in the middle of that trip...

Quick Reply: Cricket World Cup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands