Garage compressor - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Garage compressor

Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 AM

Default Garage compressor

I'm looking for a 24L compressor for my garage and am a complete noob with these things so would like some input

I'd like it to be:
- quiet (I know it's never going to be silent but it would be nice if it's not louder than my car at 6k rpm)
- not silly expensive, sub £200 would be nice
- a decent enough brand

I've seen some that seem decent quality and the chg is quite high which I think means the tank fills up quick, but then would be 100db compared to another which would be 70db but with less chg... I'd like to find the right balance between the different options really

Fire away
Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 AM

Have you checked the "CFM" for the tools you're planning to run on it (normally quoted somewhere in the specs)?
That'll go a long way to helping you choose
Old 01-09-2018, 03:44 AM

To be honest all I'm really after is the air blow gun to dry my mtb's after washing and the engine bay of the car etc, and maybe a tyre inflator just because it stops me having to use the petrol station one for that.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 AM

Can probably get something far smaller / cheaper / portable for that.
I've a small Stanley one that's only 4.5L and hand carry. Can get them from tool station for about £75.
It'll struggle for spray painting a car and you'd have some issues if you wanted to use air impactors for long periods but other than that would probably do you
Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 AM

I started off looking for a tiny one like that but assumed if it's smaller it would be running constantly to fill the tank and therefore means you can't use it for long?

The smaller the better really, ideally I'd hang it on the wall in the garage and never have to move it
Old 01-09-2018, 04:29 AM

Have a look here-
Air Compressors | CPC UK
Old 01-09-2018, 05:00 AM
UK Moderator

I use an Bosch electric leaf blower for drying my bike and a footpump/track pump for tyres.

I think you might be going for overkill here...
Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 AM

Does that get all the chain and derailer etc dry properly?

I've made the mistake a few times of washing the bike after a very muddy ride and putting it away wet or not washing it at all and I don't want to keep having to replace bits because they're completely seized..

Figured quickly blowing the water away would be a good idea.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 AM

Winfried, I bought a Lidl cheapo compressor around 10 years ago when they were on offer, still running now. I do the same as what you mentioned, blow up tyres and use the blow attachment to dry my KTM after washing.

This is the one - https://www.parkerbrand.co.uk/24l-ai...SABEgKpqvD_BwE

I have a 20m air line on a spool so I can reach the end the driveway, so my plan is to build an insulated box to put over the compressor and bolt it to the floor on rubber, that might make it tolerable and not wake the baby lol.

It is loud and when I try run the cheap/crap airgun and air ratchet that I got with it they hardly have any umpfhh and are nearly useless...

This one seems 'quiet' at 65db for £100~ https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/241184-low-noise-silent-air-compressor-24l?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=31 124658634&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcr3oJrL2AIVr7ztCh2cCg bbEAQYASABEgI1qfD_BwE

A really quiet one that say carpenters use can run you £300, they are around 45db.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Something like that Aim one would be good, but how can you find out whether it's a decent one or not?

It seems the db's they quote can be all over the place and is just depending on what app the bloke used on his phone when he wrote the specs

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: