Garage compressor - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Garage compressor

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Seems to be necessary with higher end bikes to keep all the bearings everywhere from seizing

I never bothered before but these bikes have ball bearings where cheaper bikes have nylon bushes and they really don't like being wet (or muddy) for long

So the quickest way is to rinse the thing with the garden hose and some citrus prewash and then air dry the chainset etc
Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
I started off looking for a tiny one like that but assumed if it's smaller it would be running constantly to fill the tank and therefore means you can't use it for long?

The smaller the better really, ideally I'd hang it on the wall in the garage and never have to move it
To put a couple of lbs of air in the tyres of your car it would easily do it off a single charge without running loads.
If you were planning on several minutes of constant air blowing a small one like that would struggle.
It's be fine for chains/sprockets for a few seconds at a time.

The biggest challenge I gave it was trying to be a good Samaritan and see if a flat tyre would hold any air for someone who'd a flat after hitting a pot hole along our road.
The tyre was just venting straight out but I was able to keep trying on it for 30~45 secs constant full discharge before it started to struggle. I'd then have to give it a similar time before I was able to try again.
If you'd be planning on a minute or two of constant blowing the bike you would need bigger than one of the small hand carry ones
Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 AM

I don't think it would even be several minutes, I'm sure the whole job would be done in under a minute
Old 01-11-2018, 12:01 PM

I know this wont help you as a tyre inflator but i originally brought one of these to replace the endless cans of compressed air i was getting through when cleaning out PCs and the such.

I have used it for everything around the garage. bloody brilliant device.

Amazon Amazon

On a side note i have one of those AIMtools silent compressors but i think its a 48 litre tank and its bloody brilliant, so quiet compared to the crap you can buy on machine mart and the like. Plus its oil free so not very hard to look after.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
Seems to be necessary with higher end bikes to keep all the bearings everywhere from seizing

I never bothered before but these bikes have ball bearings where cheaper bikes have nylon bushes and they really don't like being wet (or muddy) for long

So the quickest way is to rinse the thing with the garden hose and some citrus prewash and then air dry the chainset etc
I see

Not sure I'd want to go out on the thing if they're that delicate but hey ho
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
A hair dryer will be a lot more effective - you could even buy another S2000 to have a matching set
Buy your missus one of those Dyson super driers and use it on the bike when she's out, Job done with brownie points as a bonus, just don't get caught!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
I see

Not sure I'd want to go out on the thing if they're that delicate but hey ho

It does become a bit of a pain but it's so much fun on the trails it kind of makes up for it

It's always a bit of a mental game though, first half hour of cycling in the cold, dark, wet and muddy conditions I wonder why the hell I bother, then once warmed up and bombing it down the trails it's all good and the adrelineline makes me forget about the first half hour, until afterwards I'm stood in the cold and wet again cleaning the mud off... and a couple of days later we do it all again
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 AM

A long time ago I had a road bike which I rode regularly 25s and 50s (miles not clicks!) round Yorkshire with ball bearings - used to pack with grease can't you get some magic silicon-based modern water-resistant product to pack the bearings? Also can't you use some gentler way to get the mud off than a pressure wash hose that scours out the bearings?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
A long time ago I had a road bike which I rode regularly 25s and 50s (miles not clicks!) round Yorkshire with ball bearings - used to pack with grease can't you get some magic silicon-based modern water-resistant product to pack the bearings? Also can't you use some gentler way to get the mud off than a pressure wash hose that scours out the bearings?
I just use the garden hose to get the muck of cos like you say a pressure washer just blows all the grease right out
Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 PM

Treated myself to this Aim 24L 'Silent' compressor, it's being delivered today

Quick Reply: Garage compressor

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service