Grenfell, what we (might) not be told - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Grenfell, what we (might) not be told

Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Grenfell, what we (might) not be told

Just been doing some surfing and found a few disturbing "facts", not my opinions but opinions never the less, some allegedly taken from interviews with Grenfell residents. Although I have great sympathy for those who lost their lives, we need full and open reporting, what I've read is obviously speculation, but then so is every thing that has been reported in the mainstream press, there is at yet no conformation as the type of insulation used, obviously a major factor in the fire it was not the root cause.

The 70 missing could be up to 300, many of the flats were thought to be illegally sub let by tenants, there are reports of two bedroom flats with 15 to 20 occupants.

Many remains will never be identified as there will be no dental or DNA records, some saying many were illegal immigrants so no records of them being here.

Part of the refurbishment was to install mains gas, partly because there was widespread use of illegal bottled gas for cooking.

The fire broke out when many would be cooking a celebration of the end of the Ramadan day fast, many dishes require deep frying.

One report said the fire started as a result of a refrigerator exploding, not impossible but very rare, whatever else could have exploded?

The "storming" of the council building looks to be predominantly one distinct ethnic group, if the original intention was a peaceful protest why did many have their faces covered?

A report in one of the mainstream papers has stated that the fire could be a revenge attack for the Manchester and London terrorist attacks.

As I said these are thoughts posted on other websites, some not the most sympathetic to Islamic refugees. It seems to me the government and Mrs. May are doing there best for damage limitation for their own corner, no real concern shown for the victims.

Last edited by richmc; 06-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
richmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #2

Conspiracy theorists abound on t'internet. Keyboard warriors of David Ickes ilk.

someone should be held accountable, it all seems simple to me.

No working fire alarm?
Instructions to stay in your flat?
No sprinklers for the escape routes?

that reads like corporate manslaughter to me

As much as i dislike islam (and christianity and scientology and any other brain dead brainwash BS) you cannot tar the lot with the actions of a minority.
Nottm_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
UK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
Instructions to stay in your flat?
That's pretty standard procedure for tall buildings, the idea being that the building is constructed in such a way that the fire cannot spread quickly - horrifically not in this case.

In my 50 storey office block, they only ever evacuate 3 floors at a time, (the floor where a fire has been reported, the one below, and the one above).

As for what we know? At the moment, very little other than that there has been a tragic fire.

Last edited by lovegroova; 06-18-2017 at 01:32 AM.
lovegroova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
That's pretty standard procedure for tall buildings, the idea being that the building is constructed in such a way that the fire cannot spread quickly - horrifically not in this case.

In my 50 storey office block, they only ever evacuate 3 floors at a time, (the floor where a fire has been reported, the one below, and the one above).

As for what we know? At the moment, very little other than that there has been a tragic fire.
same with fire alarms. Only go off on the floor on which it's triggered.
lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Exactly. A tower block local to me had a fire a couple of years ago and only had a handful (at most) of flats had damage by the time the fire was put out. Something pretty catastrophic has gone wrong in Grenfell. But any reasoning is just hypothesis and conjecture until the investigation gathers some evidence.
chrispayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

Whatever the cause, it appears that the retrofit cladding defeated the originally designed in fire strategy.
lower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lower For This Useful Post:
CHIPPO (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #7

Easy to say in retrospect but i would be out in the event of a fire. Not hunkered down hoping it went away.

My undestanding was the alarms did not sound. That's pretty bad regardless of the cladding being a factor in the spread. Waking 400 and getting them out could have been pretty quick.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Easy to say in retrospect but i would be out in the event of a fire. Not hunkered down hoping it went away.

My undestanding was the alarms did not sound. That's pretty bad regardless of the cladding being a factor in the spread. Waking 400 and getting them out could have been pretty quick.
I thought reports said the alarms did go off but they were in the corridors and were difficult to hear, that was the same resident who heard the alarm, stopped to have a fag before getting himself and his daughter out. Priorities eh !!!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmc View Post
I thought reports said the alarms did go off but they were in the corridors and were difficult to hear, that was the same resident who heard the alarm, stopped to have a fag before getting himself and his daughter out. Priorities eh !!!
ah.. not heard that.

If that's true the contractors who did that refurb are in the shit i guess
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #10

Quote:
ah.. not heard that.

If that's true the contractors who did that refurb are in the shit i guess
Or at least the architect who drew up the plans.