Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

MRI Scan

Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I had one done in the early 90's after i'd damaged an achilles tendon playing rugby at school. I don't remember it being noisy because the machine only ran for a minute or so before they stopped it.

I'd been doing some work in my school metal workshops prior to going for the scan and had managed to get a load of fine metal particles in my hair when i'd pulled a length of tubing out or a rack. I don't know the mechanics of it but apparently when the scanner was turned on the swarf in my hair contaminated the inside of the scanner and stopped it working. I remember being told when i went back for the second scan that it was a very expensive repair.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had a couple on my knee following 2 ACL ruptures, our local one is in a trailor as is a mobile unit for our PCT, a pretty expensive caravan!

Mine took about 30 mins each, very loud as you say, but the I was offered headphones and choice of Radio station

Apparently they cost the NHS around £700 a go.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 AM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

The kit used to be mega bucks back in the day so those early recipients were lucky. Much more common now.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:04 AM

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

had an MRI scan about 2 months ago it was loud a lot louder than i was expecting, but i was starting to falling asleep then the guy slid the bed/table out of the machine without me feeling anything and i was shocked when someone was standing over me when i opend my eyes.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist View Post
... but I believe there's a new design which is much, much quieter and doesn't require the amount of shielding the current scanners employ.
Ah yes, the iScanner. Machined from a single billet of unobtanium.

(Don't know how I missed that one yesterday ... )
Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I had an MRI scan for a back problem about five years ago.

As has been mentioned, it's like being in a very small submarine. While it's being depth-charged.

It's not something that I would volunteer to do again.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Yes. Had one about 9 years ago also looking for tutors on my pituitary gland , all clear , looking for reasons for my at the time very slightly raised Beta HCG, 6 months later after finding I had an odd feeling testicle Beta HCG went through the roof , I had cancer

But the MRI I could best describe as being in a steel dustbin that was being hit with a club hammer, I took along a Cd and wore headphones.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I had one several years ago after a head knock, no one warned me about the noise! Thought someone was rattling a big brick in a big drum, it kept even me awake, the wee metal fragments in my chest fairly got hot though.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a scan on my knee a year or so back. I was surprised at how noisy and "clunky" it was. Also had my leg/knee encased in a huge clamp thing which felt incredibly bizarre. I got some oversize headphones full of radio 2 which dulled the noise a little.

No outcome from my scan but it turned out that my knee was in fact still there so can't have been anything too serious
Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO View Post
Yes. Had one about 9 years ago also looking for tutors on my pituitary gland

I took along a Cd and wore headphones.
And did you learn anything from the experience apart from don't trust spell checkers?

And good job you didn't take a cassette tape it might have leapt out and strangled you!

Quick Reply: MRI Scan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands