Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

MRI Scan

Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

I just thought of a great description-

It's like a tumble drier full of trainers, with your head in it.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had two on my knee and one for my shoulder (all football injuries). It is really loud, and the noises it makes are actually quite scary!

Painless though, and the claustrophobia didn't affect me anywhere near as much as the difficulty of staying still for 20-30 minutes.

Quite amazing machines really, and the resolution is incredible. We actually supply Siemens with the tooling required to prestress the helium vessels; they are immensely complicated bits of kit.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a CT Scan, which I thought was more or less the same thing but maybe not. Same experience of being moved on a tray into a big doughnut shaped thing, and it had a smiley face to tell you when you were meant to hold your breath and stay perfectly still. Only took a few minutes though.

That was to look at my small bowel; having it done to your head must be much worse.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo View Post
I had a CT Scan, which I thought was more or less the same thing but maybe not. Same experience of being moved on a tray into a big doughnut shaped thing, and it had a smiley face to tell you when you were meant to hold your breath and stay perfectly still. Only took a few minutes though.

That was to look at my small bowel; having it done to your head must be much worse.
I've had several CT scans and they are practically silent by comparison to an MRI. In CT scans, you shuttle backwards and forwards through a donut whereas an MRI involves insertion in a long narrow pipe ...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would much prefer to have an MRI scan rather than a CT; the latter involves being irradiated.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I hated the CT scan I had looking at cardio vascular system, had load of stuff squirted in me to show things up nicely felt awful and had this horrible feeling that I was peeing my self , they did warm about the side effects but couldn't believe how odd it felt
Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My first CT scan was agony. I had just been diagnosed with sarcoidosis which was manifesting itself as severe arthritic pain in both shoulders. The sarcoid itself was in my lungs and was the object of the scan, but to get a decent picture, I had to lie on my back with my arms above my head. I was in agony throughout pleading with them to get a shift on ...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man-up.

As a 17 year-old, I dropped a Fiat 903 cc engine block on my foot; I laughed in the face of pain...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's View Post
had an MRI scan about 2 months ago it was loud a lot louder than i was expecting, but i was starting to falling asleep then the guy slid the bed/table out of the machine without me feeling anything and i was shocked when someone was standing over me when i opend my eyes.
Glad its not only me, I had to go in for my shoulder and had two 20min sessions in head first, with no headphones or music.....was woken up after the second one by the nurse

It is very confined and noisy but I found it quite rhythmic, obviously.