Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

New "Road Tax" Proposal

Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default New "Road Tax" Proposal

Interesting reading
Attached Files
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Would anyone seriously trust the insurance companies to collect and administer this system? First statement would be "We will have to increase premiums 30% to cover admin costs", I trust them less than estate agents, bankers, the government itself. The only logical solution is as we have been saying for years put it on the cost of fuel, ego the more fuel you use the more you are using the roads, the more damage you do so the more you pay. Shove a ton more on diesel so road haulage becomes less attractive and nasty Chelsea tractors doing the school run pay a premium, hybrids and electrics get some let off. And most importantly S2000 owners who do a couple of thousand miles a year don't get smashed with stupid VED rates.
But the revenue should be administed by an independent department who have control over 100% of the revenue, is this going to happen? About as likely as me driving my S2000 down the yellow brick road the emerald city and meeting the wizard of Oz!
I can't believe that interesting read took up 4.83MB to say so little.

WHAT A LOAD OF SH1T!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Nasty Nicola now wants to tax/charge for workplace parking! is there no end to the shite she and her cronies spout.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j View Post
Nasty Nicola now wants to tax/charge for workplace parking! is there no end to the shite she and her cronies spout.
Already in place in Nottm. Not that I pay it.. **** em, ride
Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
Already in place in Nottm. Not that I pay it.. **** em, ride
And there's hardly a major NHS hospital in the country that doesn't have parking charges, that's taxing not only the already under paid nursing and auxiliary staff but praying on the sick and their relatives as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

This guy won the Wolfson Economic Prize and £250k for this proposal - it irks me that giving more power to the insurance industry is the way forward.

Also, telematics devices are proposed as optional, but the alternative is penalised with a higher tax. Not to mention that insurance companies and politicians will jump on the opportunity to get even more personal data on people.

https://policyexchange.org.uk/wolfson-winner/
Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 AM
UK Moderator

Liked 84 Times in 82 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
The only logical solution is as we have been saying for years put it on the cost of fuel, ego the more fuel you use the more you are using the roads, the more damage you do so the more you pay. Shove a ton more on diesel so road haulage becomes less attractive and nasty Chelsea tractors doing the school run pay a premium, hybrids and electrics get some let off. And most importantly S2000 owners who do a couple of thousand miles a year don't get smashed with stupid VED rates.
This is not logical in a world which, in 20-30 years will have largely moved away from Petrol Diesel.

From the title page:

The way cars are powered, driven and owned is being revolutionised. Soon a world of cleaner, automated vehicles will arrive and old annual charges and petrol taxes will no longer work. A new kind of driving will take a new kind of road and a new kind of funding – ideas needed not just in Britain but around the world.
You need to understand the context to understand the thought processes behind this paper which is full of good ideas. (Especially so far as I'm concerned with regards to my low mileage S2000 which costs a lot to tax and doesn't get driven far. )

The downside is that I'll either be dead or unable to get into the S2000 by the time it gets implemented.

Last edited by lovegroova; 06-06-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts

It'll be a 100% tax rate with tax credits given 'according to your needs' by then!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

The problem doesn't lie with coveted, weekend only s2000s.. it lies with the common commuter

If you then accept people need convenience you accept public transport is largely bollox, reserved for intsensely populated areas like London, Manchester and Birmingham

I work in Nottingham currently and live 10 miles from where I work. I'd happily cycle but don't have time and the office has an outdated dress code so I use a motorbike. It's still almost ULEV std.. or was till I removed the cat.. it takes me 20-30mins in traffic, regardless of traffic largely

I can't understand people who drive, it takes twice as long ..

Tax em
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

In NL they tax cars on their weight mainly, and the emissions only has a little influence on it.

Diesel cars are taxed a lot higher and it's cheaper at the pump so they only make sense if you do over a certain mileage a year and as a result you don't get lots of stinky diesel cars pootling around town.

I think their system works a lot better than what we have here

Quick Reply: New "Road Tax" Proposal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands