New "Road Tax" Proposal - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

New "Road Tax" Proposal

Old 06-07-2018, 03:36 AM

I've got a different approach to the VED/toad tax problem.
Get rid of VED altogether. Then add 1p to every litre of petrol and diesel sold, which would easily plug the shortfall in tax revenue for the Government.

Here's a few positives to this idea.
The Police don't have to worry about VED evasion. One less thing for them to Police.
The Government don't have any admin costs of keeping track of who is and isn't paying.
Those that drive long distances pay for the miles they do.
It encourages people to buy cars with a higher average MPG.
Visitors from abroad driving their own vehicles pay when they fill up.
It might stop a few dimwits in vehicles shouting at cyclists for not paying "road tax"

It's by no means a perfect system, as more people are conned into buying battery powered electric cars, so a "charging" tariff will have to be added to them in the future. Also as cars MPG increase, this will mean less fill ups and less revenue.

Finally the Government then take that money and spend it on our roads, and I don't mean half arsed patching repairs. I'm talking about a large scale national road re-surfacing project.

In 2012 £34.44billion litres of petrol & diesel was sold in the UK.
VED collected in 2012 was £30.7billion
VED not collected in 2012 was around £40million
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by j8mie View Post
I've got a different approach to the VED/toad tax problem.
Get rid of VED altogether. Then add 1p to every litre of petrol and diesel sold, which would easily plug the shortfall in tax revenue for the Government.
This has already been mentioned by Rich.

The trouble is that a) cars have become more fuel efficient, thus tax revenues have fallen and b) with the rise of electric cars, no revenues will be collected this way at some point in the future, which is what this report is addressing.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
In NL they tax cars on their weight mainly, and the emissions only has a little influence on it.

Diesel cars are taxed a lot higher and it's cheaper at the pump so they only make sense if you do over a certain mileage a year and as a result you don't get lots of stinky diesel cars pootling around town.

I think their system works a lot better than what we have here
Typical Dutch pragmatism; lightness is a good thing!

How does it work for BEVs, though? More mechanically efficient, but a tad heavy.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
This has already been mentioned by Rich.

The trouble is that a) cars have become more fuel efficient, thus tax revenues have fallen and b) with the rise of electric cars, no revenues will be collected this way at some point in the future, which is what this report is addressing.
Well the typical UK government, any party has the answer to falling revenues is just to raise taxes it's what they do. As for electric cars, have the cars mileage declared annually and tax paid retrospectively, after the first three years this can be done with the MOT, before then use the MOT system to record the mileage at your local dealer, heavy fine for those who don't turn up.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
Well the typical UK government, any party has the answer to falling revenues is just to raise taxes it's what they do. As for electric cars, have the cars mileage declared annually and tax paid retrospectively, after the first three years this can be done with the MOT, before then use the MOT system to record the mileage at your local dealer, heavy fine for those who don't turn up.
Not a bad idea except that cars change hands outside of the MOT date. I suspect that the annual amount will be unworkable as no-one has the ability to save any more, so it would have to be on a direct debit after the fact.

The truth is, it's easier to to collect it on a "drive-as-you-go" basis.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
Typical Dutch pragmatism; lightness is a good thing!

How does it work for BEVs, though? More mechanically efficient, but a tad heavy.

For the moment they're still tax free (I think).
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 AM

It's estimated that there are 1,000,000 uninsured cars on the road and presumably they are therefore untaxed as well. £100,000,000 would solve an awful lot of problems.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil View Post
£100,000,000 would fill an awful lot of government pockets.
fixed that for you
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
For the moment they're still tax free (I think).
Thanks Winfried!

A quandary for the future, I think.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:53 AM
UK Moderator

Some interesting stuff here with regards to the Netherlands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-i...ent_incentives

Notably:
The total cost of the tax exemptions for the Dutch treasury of the more than 22,000 plug-in electric vehicles sold in 2013 was estimated at €500 million (US$691 million)
If you do the same to replace the entire "old stock" it's going to cost a very large sum of money to implement, and then steps are going to have to be taken to replace all the fuel taxes (which far outweigh Vehicle Tax revenues). £30bn vs £6bn.

Quick Reply: New "Road Tax" Proposal

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands