Planning permission granted on my Grand Design - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Planning permission granted on my Grand Design

Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine View Post
I don't mean to offend, but that tower looks a bit "concentration camp". Does it house a machine gun nest and a spotlight ...
You still think I give a flying fcuk? If I did, I suppose I could always play the "what's your postcode then sunshine? card" Been tempted a few times over the years but it would only have ended in tears. You should see my Runic iron work and light fittings.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
Congrats, Gad. I know too much about having to deal with planners, unfortunately.

What was the story of the tower originally? I cannot quite decipher it.
Water Tower ,1925, Nick, built to supply a couple of homes owned by the builder. Over the years, as the estate grew and there was a need to supply more homes, it fell into disrepair. I think ROC had it in WW2. Sold for £1500 in '55 (quite a lot for that time), £45K in 1981 or thereabouts and I paid £240K in 2000. I should do ok. I'll be sorry to move in some ways because the location is outstanding, but I have other fish to fry.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
Congrats, Gad. I know too much about having to deal with planners, unfortunately.

What was the story of the tower originally? I cannot quite decipher it.
Must have been a water tower - I wasn't awake this AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Indeed privacy is the thing. Is it in a Conservation Area? The plan makes a point that the tower is preserved. I guess it dates from the '20s or perhaps even earlier - I am thinking the Victorian folly era. But it looks more art deco than anything to me.
1925. Building of Special Historic Interest not listed thank Christ. I owned a listed house in Canterbury and never again. Takes bureaucracy to levels you wouldn't believe.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
Are you randomly rendering the back?

Quite a character building.

If you're flogging as is do you get quotes for the work?
No idea about detaills, that's down to the buyer and the planners. I've no interest in doing the work as once I decide something has to go I lose all interest. I could make more money by doing the work but where do you stop chasing the stuff? I More importantly, doing would probably take six months and in that time I can do loads of other things. Time is far more important than money and you can't make the first, however clever you are. In addition, I think it will have more appeal to someone who wants it to their precise spec. I don't want to second guess or aim for people who just want to move straight in. Hopefully any buyer would hook up with the architect but I can't do any more than make the inrtroduction.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1450439427' post='23831152
Indeed privacy is the thing. Is it in a Conservation Area? The plan makes a point that the tower is preserved. I guess it dates from the '20s or perhaps even earlier - I am thinking the Victorian folly era. But it looks more art deco than anything to me.
1925. Building of Special Historic Interest not listed thank Christ. I owned a listed house in Canterbury and never again. Takes bureaucracy to levels you wouldn't believe.
It's a fine house as far as I'm concerned, I love the tower obvious that it's a water tower. What you are doing looks like a very sympathetic and subtle addition. Good man!

Have you got the contractors waiting in the wings, or do you still have a queue of them sucking air through their teeth?

I think some before, during and after photos are in order.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Rich I think he posted earlier: aims to sell with PP for someone else to develop. Makes a lot of sense.

Having paid £240k some fifteen years ago Gad should easily double his money in very simple terms (not sure of my local house prices). If the going rate for a 3000 sqft house allows and someone pays £750k for the house with PP and the extension costs plus re-furb existing are £250k (again I don't know local trade rates) for £1m they get an imposing unique residence worth at least that or more and Gad gets a good ROI.

Investing your own cash and time in developing and guessing at the end buyer's tastes for £1m worth of house isn't worth the risk as a non professional (developer). Given the age of the structure there could be asbestos in there for example. My son developed a 1920s semi in Northwood with a mahoosive insulated tank up in the roof space. Guess what the insulation was? Always wise to do a full survey but many people skimp on the expense.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Congratulations.

Are you German by any chance, that design looks rather a lot like the entrance to Birkenau Concentration camp in Poland.

Must be some Nazi sympathisers in your local authority.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikefifth View Post
Congratulations.

Are you German by any chance, that design looks rather a lot like the entrance to Birkenau Concentration camp in Poland.

Must be some Nazi sympathisers in your local authority.
Adolf may have copied it as it was built about 35 years earlier than BCC.

I will give some thought to engaging a Bavarian estate agent.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM

I admire the pragmatism. The house is different.

Dont install a gas supply to the garage

Quick Reply: Planning permission granted on my Grand Design

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands