Planning permission granted on my Grand Design - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Planning permission granted on my Grand Design

Old 12-19-2015, 01:25 AM
jml

Originally Posted by mikefifth View Post
Congratulations.

Are you German by any chance, that design looks rather a lot like the entrance to Birkenau Concentration camp in Poland.

Must be some Nazi sympathisers in your local authority.

ROFL
Old 12-19-2015, 03:15 AM

That was my first thought but I thought an "Arbeit Macht Frei" joke might be going too far ...
Old 12-19-2015, 03:51 AM

Not after the Kraft durch Feinstaub scandal - Zyklon's back on the table.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 PM

What a shame the tower didn't feature either one or two walls with floor to ceiling glass; that would have created a spectacular room, with a real 'Wow-factor'.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Polemicist View Post
What a shame the tower didn't feature either one or two walls with floor to ceiling glass; that would have created a spectacular room, with a real 'Wow-factor'.

Nothing to stop a new owner doing that. The existing windows at the top of the tower (n,s, e and w and under permitted development) are one square metre each with much bigger lintels which 'future proof' the sort of expansion you describe. However, including those revisions at the same time as the new east extension would only have complicated the application - there were already enough people wanting to preserve the building in aspic as it was, plus the green eyed monster effect.

It's the same with the current proposed interior layout. I wouldn't keep it as currently proposed but I won't be living there and there needs to be something on the plans to show prospective buyers.

I will post up some photos idc. The drawings imo don't reflect the true nature of the building. They remind me of computer generated images in games. I don't find them convincing. The roof of the tower for example has an attractive slight curve to the diagonal elevations which is not reflected in the straight line drawings.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:14 AM

Unless there are special restrictions in place, once you have permission for an opening, be it window or door, you can change it without further permission. An additional opening however does need permission. So unless there is something different about this situation, there is nothing to stop the new owner enlarging the tower windows, as Gad says.

This and interior changes are quite common as ideas come during development. Interior changes may need building plan changes to keep the building inspectors happy, such as RSJs, revised/new beam calculations, reinforcing padstones etc. It is a relatively recent 'fashion' to like to have an open plan interior, which often gives rise to structural issues. As does the creation of large basements with dedicated recreational rooms such as a heated swimming pool. Who knows, maybe the new owners will put the water tower back to it's original function
Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Rich I think he posted earlier: aims to sell with PP for someone else to develop. Makes a lot of sense.

Having paid £240k some fifteen years ago Gad should easily double his money in very simple terms (not sure of my local house prices). If the going rate for a 3000 sqft house allows and someone pays £750k for the house with PP and the extension costs plus re-furb existing are £250k (again I don't know local trade rates) for £1m they get an imposing unique residence worth at least that or more and Gad gets a good ROI.

Investing your own cash and time in developing and guessing at the end buyer's tastes for £1m worth of house isn't worth the risk as a non professional (developer). Given the age of the structure there could be asbestos in there for example. My son developed a 1920s semi in Northwood with a mahoosive insulated tank up in the roof space. Guess what the insulation was? Always wise to do a full survey but many people skimp on the expense.
Asbestos free is something I can guarantee. Likewise the absence of movement. Don't know what the weight would have been but there was a steel tank full of water approx 4m x 4m x 1.5m sitting on top of the tower and I don't think it has moved a millimetre. Would suggest some serious foundations!

Valuation is very difficult because there is no clear price ceiling let alone similar property in the area. Plenty of big expensive houses but only one water tower so if the tower is your thing it's a once in a lifetime chance to buy it. I just want two or three people with deep pockets who think like that, which I don't think is unreasonable. We'll see but I think it will go to sealed bids.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:57 AM

4mx4mx1.5m = 24m3 = 24000 litres = roughly 24000kg (I think?!)

So a fair amount of weight!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Floorplans below. Wouldn't be my choice of layout on the ground floor west - I would have it all open plan - but you have to show something for buyers with little imagination.

There are of course two additional floors not shown - a fourth bedroom on the third floor and the machine gun nest on the top - each 4m x 4m. I think it might also be quite nice to make the machine gun nest a feature bedroom and the room below its private bathroom but buyers will have their own ideas.

[attachment=89037:floorplan.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Planning permission granted on my Grand Design-floorplan.jpg  
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattg4321 View Post
4mx4mx1.5m = 24m3 = 24000 litres = roughly 24000kg (I think?!)

So a fair amount of weight!
Yup. Water has a specific gravity of 1.0, so 1 litre weighs 1 kilogram.

(I used to sell Sulphuric Acid at 1.83 sg and Phosphoric Acid at 1.68 sg; they were heavy !!)

Quick Reply: Planning permission granted on my Grand Design

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands