Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Recommenced me a decent restaurant in North Norfolk.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Recommenced me a decent restaurant in North Norfolk.

Hi S2k

Me and miss are going away this weekend, and I've booked us holiday home in stanhoe, Now im need of some local advice, where would be the best place to eat or could you recommenced me a decent restaurant in North Norfolk.

Do not mind driving about 20-25 mins for place, budget around £20 max on mains ( would help if theirs asphall cider on the menu )

Also it cant be all fish menu, ( Miss's doesn't like fish )

If any could help, Thank you

Ant
Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Community Organizer

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

PM Minvo, he's a local and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Hmmm cutting out fish wipes out a lot of options e.g. The White Horse at Brancaster. edit: Just been to look they have a good range of non fish (but the fish is to die for!) and right in your price range - recommended, you can wander out straight into the dunes and the beach. May well be booked up this weekend as might many but anyway The White Horse, Brancaster.

The Walpole Arms is probably a bit of a hike but you could combine with a day out to Blickling Hall, National Trust, designed by the same architect as Hatfield House where Elisabeth I lived while awaiting the call. I have dined several times there and never been disappointed. There is a nice informal set of tables by the bar or a formal room (though I have never eaten there!) edit: going there on spec they can be booked out in which case try the Buckinghamshire Arms, right next to Blickling Hall so a bit pricier but nice too.

If you come over this way stop and visit Heydon. The village is at a dead end and the Hall is where they filmed "The Go Between" many years ago. The village tea shop is heavenly and the pub The Earle Arms is a gem.

Closer to where you are staying is The Ordnance Arms the other side of Fakenham at Guist, on the Norwich Road. Again good traditional food in a classic pub but now they have a Thai restaurant gets rave reviews but I have never tried it (memo to self: must Thai harder )

If you want to push the boat out, Morston Hall Michelin starred dining isn't too far way but priced for the Michelin.

In Burnham Market is the Hoste Arms but that has gone down lately, I was there years ago. If you want to try something different go and try Nelson's local The Lord Nelson we always stop there for a bite when we are 'doing' the N Norfolk coast as it is off the beaten track and you should always go to visit the place where Nelson was brought up if you are coming to Norfolk - "Nelson's County".

Right that's all my personal favourites so - enjoy!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie View Post
Hmmm cutting out fish wipes out a lot of options e.g. The White Horse at Brancaster. edit: Just been to look they have a good range of non fish (but the fish is to die for!) and right in your price range - recommended, you can wander out straight into the dunes and the beach. May well be booked up this weekend as might many but anyway The White Horse, Brancaster.

The Walpole Arms is probably a bit of a hike but you could combine with a day out to Blickling Hall, National Trust, designed by the same architect as Hatfield House where Elisabeth I lived while awaiting the call. I have dined several times there and never been disappointed. There is a nice informal set of tables by the bar or a formal room (though I have never eaten there!) edit: going there on spec they can be booked out in which case try the Buckinghamshire Arms, right next to Blickling Hall so a bit pricier but nice too.

If you come over this way stop and visit Heydon. The village is at a dead end and the Hall is where they filmed "The Go Between" many years ago. The village tea shop is heavenly and the pub The Earle Arms is a gem.

Closer to where you are staying is The Ordnance Arms the other side of Fakenham at Guist, on the Norwich Road. Again good traditional food in a classic pub but now they have a Thai restaurant gets rave reviews but I have never tried it (memo to self: must Thai harder )

If you want to push the boat out, Morston Hall Michelin starred dining isn't too far way but priced for the Michelin.

In Burnham Market is the Hoste Arms but that has gone down lately, I was there years ago. If you want to try something different go and try Nelson's local The Lord Nelson we always stop there for a bite when we are 'doing' the N Norfolk coast as it is off the beaten track and you should always go to visit the place where Nelson was brought up if you are coming to Norfolk - "Nelson's County".

Right that's all my personal favourites so - enjoy!
Prefect, many thanks will check out the links.

As for Hoste arms, miss's grandparent lives their, so in recent years we've travelled for the day and had lunch their, Have to say always had a nice meal no problems, Would like a change a scene.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

We had lunch in the hoste a few weeks ago. It has improved again.

Titchwell manor is nice and overlooks the sea.

I also like the White horse in brancaster
Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Fair comment Rich. The Hoste dipped around the time of the illness of it's then owner and petrolhead. EDP article from 4 years ago. Carol's nephew was going out with a lass on the spa/club side of the business at the time. We must revisit soon. TBH it is where we would automatically go by default touring in Burnham Market.