Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

RIP Charles Kennedy

Old 06-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quite a nice tribute from Steve Bell ...

Old 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
Yep,very sad.

Do we assume he took his election defeat badly?
I take that back completely. Looks like an alcohol-related condition.

The tributes paid to him in the Commons on Wednesday were very touching and he will be clearly missed by all political parties.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Interesting how alcoholism is increasingly referred to as an illness and alcoholics as victims

Every alcolholic I've known has been an utter c*** when under the influence and quite often when sober as well
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

I really liked what have I got news for you did, a few clips of him at his funniest and no comment. Will be sadly missed in his Fort William constituency where I had the pleasure to meet him on many occasions, so long Charlie.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
Every alcolholic I've known has been an utter c*** when under the influence and quite often when sober as well
I know several exceptions to your "rule" ...
Old 06-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine View Post
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1433696428' post='23639280
I know several exceptions to your "rule" ...
Then they must exist, but I haven't yet met one. Those I have met would love the idea of being a victim. Fortunately all have snuffed it or are well on the way. Their behaviour makes it impossible for me to sympathise. No doubt I'd feel differently about your exceptions.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Clearly, Charles Kennedy was an exception, or someone would have said. Even if Shiskine didn't know him personally.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:54 PM

Liked 28 Times in 28 Posts

Of course alcoholism isn't an illness, it's an affliction and coping mechanism that becomes a physical dependency. Anyone dependent on any substance becomes a victim to that substance. It doesn't make them a c**t by default.

What I find interesting about alcoholism is it's classless nature. It catch people from all walks of life. And in some case, is seen as socially acceptable.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suppose a bean-counter somewhere has modelled the issue on a spreadsheet; at the moment the tax-take from alcohol is greater than the financial cost to the NHS and other associated services. I suspect if an objective cost benefit analysis was undertaken it might very well be a different case.

As a kid I recall alcohol being available only from pub's and the rarity of shops known as an off-licence. At 11 or 12 years old, my only awareness of the alcohol was that it was available in pub's and there were several fancy bottles of liquid in the G Plan sideboard; it was very much the stuff for special occasions at home. Ordinary drinking for my parents was in the pub', on the rare occasions they visited them.

There's a hugely powerful drinks industry lobby and alcohol is being rammed down our throats (if you excuse the un...) with its availability and price. Even in my rural area, in a radius of 3 miles from home there are three small retailers where alcohol is available; there's a better choice of alcoholic products than basic groceries.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

... of course, there's an upside to alcohol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0UMXo-dJWU

Quick Reply: RIP Charles Kennedy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands