Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Suspended from work....

Old 09-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspended from work....

So, as per the title, you've a clean work record for almost ten years with the company, you climb over a safety barrier whilst equipment is still running obviously this is not procedure....work colleague who saw the act then decides to report this to the safety officer.....a final warning or for the high-jump? anybody with past experience fire away (no pun intended)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you request a copy of your company's disciplinary procedures from HR. ? That should at least give you a view on the process.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fullleather View Post
So, as per the title, you've a clean work record for almost ten years with the company, you climb over a safety barrier whilst equipment is still running obviously this is not procedure....work colleague who saw the act then decides to report this to the safety officer.....a final warning or for the high-jump? anybody with past experience fire away (no pun intended)
would need more facts to say

but on the basis of what you've posted, some disciplinary action is highly likely

suspension isn't disciplinary action

it's good practice to enable a thorough investigation to take place
Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 283 Likes on 264 Posts

Don't need an "investigation" as the facts are not disputed. I'd give someone doing a cowboy stunt like this several days off at a minimum suspension. Repeat offenders don't work for me anymore and don't qualify for unemployment compensation in the states I have facilities. Serious violations can be summary termination.

Safety barriers are there because there is risk of serious injury or death. There's a reason OSHA has 5 and 6 figure fines for companies without guards or without adequate enforcement of safety protocols.

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Don't need an "investigation" as the facts are not disputed. I'd give someone doing a cowboy stunt like this several days off at a minimum suspension. Repeat offenders don't work for me anymore and don't qualify for unemployment compensation in the states I have facilities. Serious violations can be summary termination.

Safety barriers are there because there is risk of serious injury or death. There's a reason OSHA has 5 and 6 figure fines for companies without guards or without adequate enforcement of safety protocols.

-- Chuck
If we are talking about the UK then it's good practice to suspend even if everyone 'knows' the facts and they aren't disputed

Even in the most extreme cases, such as punching or sexually assaulting a collleage, it will still be prudent to suspend and very rare to summarily dismiss

I know that you can 'let people go' much more easily in the US

But if we are talking about the UK I claim local expertise
Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it depends on your company’s perception of the severity of the offence. Was this really dangerous and a definite no-no or just a bit stupid?

the company should hold an investigatory meeting to find out what you did and why and this should involve talking to you.. If they deem it a disciplinary offence then you will be invited to a disciplinary meeting and if they think there is a risk of you repeating it prior to the meeting they should suspend you.

Why did you do it?

As an example, we dismissed a telehandler driver for moving two layers of safety barriers and parking his telehandler under the jib of a moving crane. This was a really dangerous act that put lots of people at risk. By contrast, if someone forgets to wear their hearing protection on one occasion and normally wears it at the appropriate times then they would get get a reminder and no disciplinary action would be taken. However, if they were a habitual offender who had been warned repeatedly we probably would start down the disciplinary route.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Back when I worked for a very large company safety violations were a big deal (we even exceeded OSHA everywhere .. if they said fall protection at 6' our rule was 4' ). What I saw was typically a warning and then a firing. I did see two warnings once when a fork truck operator was not using his safety belt. Supervisor warned him twice in one day, the third time he was fired. Made $28/hr driving that fork truck and lost it over that.

A member of an electrical contractors team was banned from ever doing work there on one of my jobs due to not wearing his safety glasses. He got one warning. Same went for a concrete guy on the job. They are usually pretty severe on this in a large company as they are scared of large lawsuits.

In other places I have seen it result in re-training on the first offense, then firing on the second.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd go with a verbal warning for a first offence, then get some dudes to have a word with the grass (just joking). If your company wants to make an issue of a minor lapse then they aren't worth working for.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been a while since I worked in heavy industry but when I did if someone was in a restricted area or using machinery without guards in place using they would be up the pit right away and in to see the head of department/manager the next for an arse kicking and back to work the following, at least a first offence situation, this was usually enough to prevent repeat occurrences.
I was once caught by the government inspector and deputy manager running a small water pump without the coupling guard fitted, he took into account that there was not likely to be anyone else in the area and it was of only running while I checked that the pump would in fact pump after an overhaul, I was given a stern warning and reminded to wear my hair net under my safety helmet, man I was sweating bullets but he at least gave me the benefit of doubt before he took action.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
I'd go with a verbal warning for a first offence, then get some dudes to have a word with the grass (just joking). If your company wants to make an issue of a minor lapse then they aren't worth working for.
Not trying to beat up on the OP, but trying to see this from the perspective of the safety manager (And the company who gets sued regardless of the employees fault in the manner), forgetting to put your safety glasses on after cleaning them off is a minor lapse. Purposely climbing over a safety barrier is not a lapse, it is intentional disregard for safety equipment. These types of things cost companies a LOT of money if someone is injured (and not just from the lawsuit .. insurance costs also go up), which is why they treat it this way. I am generally a kind of in the middle type of guy when it comes to workplace rules and dealing with offenses, but I do see the companies side of things when it comes to safety.

Quick Reply: Suspended from work....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands