Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Suspended from work....

Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Liked 244 Times in 233 Posts

I suspect this safety barrier that "someone" has climb over is restricting access to a truly dangerous place and whatever is behind the barrier probably is not further guarded. Not even remotely in the same league as not wearing your hearing or hearing protection when required. But no eye protection still requires "making an issue."

Reported industrial fatalities (USA).

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 PM

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Not wearing safety glasses/ear defenders or say shin guards would attract a fine of £30 for the first offence rising with the second, I don’t recall anybody doing it a third time.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not enough information to say for certain however...............

If interfering with fixed guarding, including climbing on it/over it it'd likely be a gross negligence type issue

One point of question. Normally fixed guarding would be a serious PITA to climb over so not the easy way. Therefore was it actually fixed guarding or is it just a general access restriction (there are specific regs around fixed guarding/clearance from hazard etc.). If it is not officially fixed guarding then its likely more a company policy infringement. It may still be a disciplinary issue but not to the same severity. For example a robot cell may have a laser scanning system to stop the machine in case of unauthorised access to an area but some barriers may be placed to prevent people stopping the robot accidentally. Any barriers in that case MAY or MAY NOT be classed as fixed guarding depending on the risk assessment.

Mitigating circumstances? Was it common practice to cross climb over like that? Was it clear that it was safety equipment? Had warnings been given previously? Had management explicitly/implicitly authorised it previously? etc.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

perhaps the OP could post the full facts otherwise we might as well discuss tomorrow's weather forecast
Old 09-19-2018, 05:17 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Tumble shot blaster with vibrating metal table for revert metal to exit on, metal safety gates, various lock-out points et al......the access gate automatically cuts all power allowing safe entry to check all material has emptied from the tumbler.....
I climbed over whilst the machine was in operation whilst a the usual operator was at the control panel allowing for 'on/off' as I was checking all material was cleared. Hope this provides more clarity? The weather forecast is wind btw, lots of it....
Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I take it you've not been suspended yet then......

Why did you do it?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I currently am, hearing tomorrow at 10am sharp......Why did I do it, Fridays are manic, we're prepping all this material to avoid doing it over the weekends as its just a team of three (sometimes two) so it was a severe lack of thought on my part, a one off event done solely with the intention of 'speeding up the process' so I could return to my usual role elsewhere........
Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fullleather View Post
I currently am, hearing tomorrow at 10am sharp......Why did I do it, Fridays are manic, we're prepping all this material to avoid doing it over the weekends as its just a team of three (sometimes two) so it was a severe lack of thought on my part, a one off event done solely with the intention of 'speeding up the process' so I could return to my usual role elsewhere........
my advice would be throw yourself at their mercy

sincere apologies, been constantly reflecting on letting myself down

won't happen again - hope to learn from my mistake, etc

motivation was all about getting the job done

written warning incoming with luck

Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Cheers for the reply, I will be using some of those 'said' lines along with my own. Never been in a situation quite like this before, nor one for doing my laundry in public.....the reason I posted was just to get 'thoughts/advice/suggestions' my thanks to all, fingers crossed!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi View Post
my advice would be throw yourself at their mercy

sincere apologies, been constantly reflecting on letting myself down

won't happen again - hope to learn from my mistake, etc

motivation was all about getting the job done

written warning incoming with luck
good advice. You had a moment of madness, were trying to get the job done, you realise how silly you’ve been, etc etc. Emphasise the fact you’ve never done anything like this before.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Suspended from work....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands