Suspended from work.... - Page 4 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Suspended from work....

Old 09-28-2018, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Gross, deliberate violations of safety rules don't need "progressive" discipline and can result in summary termination. Companies can't allow these "every three years."

-- Chuck
Gross misconduct would normally mean immediate dismissal in most cases, I think you will find UK employment law is quite different to the USA hire em' and fire em' way of doing things. The final warning can be for three years, an offence after that would have to be suitably serious for the previous one to be taken into account not just an excuse to show the perp the door.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 AM

tbf if i was an employee with an axe hanging over me like that i'd be off like a shot. Probably why i'm not in fairness.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
From what I recall of employment law (although some time ago) they have to declare a time limit of so many years or months, they are not allowed to hang this over your head permanently, I think the maximum is three years. I'd check that if I were you.

Also they can't call it a final warning if you haven't had prior warnings, it should be called a disciplinary decision (or something like). Again check this out. As both would invalidate future disciplinary action, god forbid!

Anyway congratulations for slipping the noose!
Unfortunately for the OP but fortunately for companies, there is nothing to prevent a company from issuing a final warning without prior warnings. Some offences are not quite serious enough to amount to gross misconduct but serious enough that they can't be allowed to happen three times (which is what would happen if a company had to issue warnings in written warning, final warning, dismissal routine).

However, there must be a time limit on the warning.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by fullleather View Post
Gentlemen, I can report it was a final warning.....since the result was passed on Monday I've been out blasting around Wales with my girl enjoying life. Back to work on Monday and on best ever behaviour! My thanks for all your collective thoughts & suggestions ;-)
glad you're still alive and haven't been shot to death by the shotblast machine that you jumped into