Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Are they acually winging?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:33 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Just to diverge the thread even more, we are back from a Rhine cruise and mixed with a fair few retired engineers, surgeons and other related 'hard' subject degree - and literate, as the quiz showed. We really must motivate/incentivize kids to study subjects that make the brain ache rather than subjects that are easy and accessible but fundamentally leading to useless parasitic 'careers' (if any).

Incidentally, a lot of the crew were eastern European and far eastern kids with excellent degrees and good English. Put on a side-splitting satire at the Crew Show so multi talented almost like Cleese and the Oxbridge lot. Bet none of them were even on the UK minimum wage

The river is a very impressive piece of 'engineering' in itself, they manage it so there are beaches for leisure use yet just 50m away in midstream huge 1000 ton ships taking hundreds of containers up and down, without a dredger in sight. Lots of hydro electric schemes and other impressive industrial architecture too. Makes the Thames look like what it is, a piddling tidal stream! The Rhine is >1000 kms so a few days to traverse, so a lot of the boats had cars parked ready to be hoisted ashore. Home from home.

Last edited by arsie; 08-02-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lower View Post
That's just your jealousy kicking in.
No I live in Cornwall so don't need holidays, I haven't holidayed abroad for decades, I don't feel the need to be crammed into an airplane with a load of screaming kids and ignorant drunkards for hours on end thank you very much! So no jealousy there.

As for uni and everybody's right to be over educated, why do you think we need Polish and Rumanians to pick our crops and Bosnians to empty our bins? It's because youngsters winging they have a degree so can't possibly do that kind of work, so decide to do nothing. If we didn't have a country full of over educated (because it's their right to go to uni) kids we wouldn't need to bring labour in from eastern Europe.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie View Post

we really must motivate/incentivize kids to study subjects that make the brain ache rather than subjects that are easy and accessible but fundamentally leading to useless parasitic 'careers' (if any).

Incidentally, a lot of the crew were eastern European and far eastern kids with excellent degrees and good English. Put on a side-splitting satire at the Crew Show so multi talented almost like Cleese and the Oxbridge lot. Bet none of them were even on the UK minimum wage
This is bang on Rog, grants in key skills degrees is a solid idea i think. The demand should increase, we’d perhaps be able to address that skills shortage in engineering and tech. Christ in my game its rare to see anyone in their 20s ffs. Crazy.

The parallel i use is when i invest in companies i choose ones which arent distributing every penny to shareholders but ones which are investing to progress. UK plc needs to prove its doing that imho. Invest or die.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:15 PM

Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
No I live in Cornwall so don't need holidays, I haven't holidayed abroad for decades, I don't feel the need to be crammed into an airplane with a load of screaming kids and ignorant drunkards for hours on end thank you very much! So no jealousy there.
LOL.

The roads around Cornwall are jammed with Caravans and Motorhomes for 8 months of the year. Most of the beaches are blighted with holiday parks and a good many of those are also blighted with Weaver fish. When we did eventually find one that wasn't blighted with either of the former, it was usually because it was a 3 mile hike down a cliff with a fairly average beach at the bottom of it - no golden sand there. St Hostile was pretty much boarded up in the main and wasn't blessed with much restaurant variety. Mevagissey harbour was pleasant as was the Eden Project / Lost Gardens of Heligan but not pleasant enough to draw me back for a second attempt.

I'll take my chances abroad and see some different culture, eat some different food and talk to as many non English as i can. If i don't see a menu with Sunday roast / pie and chips / fish fingers and chips or any of the other grot that the English seem to crave on tour then i'll consider myself a lucky man. The last time we were in Turkey, they had swordfish ( fresh) on the menu and the English pretty much ignored "that foreign shit" and headed for the birds eye fish fingers and potato waffles with a side helping of beans and / or chips.

Hopefully they all go to Cornwall next time

Last edited by unclefester; 08-03-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 AM

Liked 56 Times in 56 Posts

This patronisation of the English is very middle class Jaja

one of my ex colleagues does it all the time. He's a right liberal nonce.

We have no more chavs than anywhere else. Get over it. Yes there are twats, every country has them.

i agree on the travel part, a big element is experiencing different cultures.

Really enjoyed Bude a few years ago.. delightful.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Liked 42 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
LOL.

The roads around Cornwall are jammed with Caravans and Motorhomes for 8 months of the year. Most of the beaches are blighted with holiday parks and a good many of those are also blighted with Weaver fish. When we did eventually find one that wasn't blighted with either of the former, it was usually because it was a 3 mile hike down a cliff with a fairly average beach at the bottom of it - no golden sand there. St Hostile was pretty much boarded up in the main and wasn't blessed with much restaurant variety. Mevagissey harbour was pleasant as was the Eden Project / Lost Gardens of Heligan but not pleasant enough to draw me back for a second attempt.

I'll take my chances abroad and see some different culture, eat some different food and talk to as many non English as i can. If i don't see a menu with Sunday roast / pie and chips / fish fingers and chips or any of the other grot that the English seem to crave on tour then i'll consider myself a lucky man. The last time we were in Turkey, they had swordfish ( fresh) on the menu and the English pretty much ignored "that foreign shit" and headed for the birds eye fish fingers and potato waffles with a side helping of beans and / or chips.

Hopefully they all go to Cornwall next time
Actually it's two months of the year, and if you want great food then there's a local brewery to me that does a great Sunday roast and that's Wagyu beef. Totally agree about St.Austell, it's been destroyed by second homers who only buy on line, pity locals can't afford to live and work there. As for weaver fish you will find them around ALL British beaches. if you prefer "aboard" the there's puffer fish stone fish, and Portuguese man o' war.

Remember those motor homes and caravans aren't from Cornwall they are imports! And I've had Cornwall caught Swordfish, shark, lobster, oysters, mussels, langoustine crab.................... etc.
as for talking to non English, you crossed the Tamar, you are in a Duchy, like Luxembourg.

BTW you haven't seen 1/50 of Cornwall, Mevagissey, Eden Project / Lost Gardens of Heligan, you obviously only scratched the tourist surface, never met the real Cornish or bothered to explore the real jewels that it has to offer. Please don't come back, till you are ready to open your eyes and mind.

Last edited by richmc; 08-04-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Cornwall is a victim of it's own success. Wild horses wouldn't drag me or my motorhome down there in holiday season these days though and sadly I can no longer tackle walking holidays but I fondly remember doing the coastal path up from Perranporth to Padstow and beyond.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday abroad @richmc. IIANM Reims is in northern France not Cornwall
Old 08-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
Please don't come back, till you are ready to open your eyes and mind.
Ironic really.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I find most places interesting

Unfortunately there are just too many people almost everywhere that's accessible
Old 08-05-2018, 02:47 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Ironic really.
Not really; a man who wants nothing to do with anything or anyone that's not on his doorstep or who disagrees with his opinion, doesn't want you back on his patch until you've learned to agree with him, turned your back on the rest of the world and conditioned your body to survive entirely on gravy.

I'd say he's 100% on message.

The world's shit now it's not part the Empire, eh Rich?

Quick Reply: Are they acually winging?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands