Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

Watches for 2015

Old 06-03-2015, 04:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All this discussion concerning contemporary social-climbing Swiss wrist junk has made me rethink my decision about an Apple Watch; I think this vintage Fortis Spaceman may be better suited to my needs...

Old 06-03-2015, 04:46 AM
MB
UK Moderator

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1433332841' post='23634475
Yup!

Compared to the AP it's very well priced!
Would you see it as a watch, or an investment

If you see it as a watch, then you wear it as one and get the use out of it - or at least that's my view. If you can afford the price and you like the watch then why hide it away or worry about marking it - that's the bit i don't understand - if you can afford it the signs of use are irrelevant unless you can't afford to damage it because you need it to retain some large part of its value.
With a watch I have almost no consideration for resale as I'd buy it to keep (unlike a car)

That said, when you get into the realms of AP / Rolex / Patek, It seems to be that they come with the added bonus of not losing much at all and in some cases appreciating.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:49 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist View Post
I think this vintage Fortis Spaceman may be better suited to my needs...
You need to look like a twat?

That is nothing but a cry for attention.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM
UK Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

.......The most recent technological 'advances' in watches are a paradox. The new Swatch Sistem51 (sic) is the first mass produced, full automated, robotised manufacture of a mechanical, automatic watch movement. No human hand touches the manufacture of the components or the assembly. Even the watch is decorated post-assembly. There are 400 robots working tirelessly in a clean room environment to manufacture a device which is in itself arcane, and in terms of its function, it is offers no improved functionality over the ground-breaking Swatch quartz watch developed 30 years ago.

Yet it allows Swatch to enter a more expensive market sector (the Sistem 51 is c.£110) and satisfy the market's demand for an accurate Swiss automatic, mechanical watch at a hitherto unheard of price-point. It's accuracy is such that it is certified as a chronometer, as Rolex et al, albeit the mechanism in the Swatch is sealed for life and not serviceable.

The engineering innovation to achieve the Sistem51's manufacture is breathtaking, but why? To cock-a-snook at the premium watch establishment or make money from the gullible and aspirational, albeit parsimonious, wannabe premium watch buyer?

The premium watch could be considered as being analogous with religion; a very big con' which preys upon those for whom a desire for dominion over lesser mortals must be demonstrated...
Mark, I've got a Sistem51, I bought it as a curio

However (for the record) they are definitely not CSOC chronometer certified

Chris.

P.S. I've also got a Fortis, although not a Spaceman. I suspect you probably won't like it

Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All this discussion concerning contemporary social-climbing Swiss wrist junk has made me rethink my decision about an Apple Watch; I think this vintage Fortis Spaceman may be better suited to my needs...

That is UGLY

Originally Posted by chrisr111 View Post
Originally Posted by Polemicist' timestamp='1433315549' post='23634328
.......The most recent technological 'advances' in watches are a paradox. The new Swatch Sistem51 (sic) is the first mass produced, full automated, robotised manufacture of a mechanical, automatic watch movement. No human hand touches the manufacture of the components or the assembly. Even the watch is decorated post-assembly. There are 400 robots working tirelessly in a clean room environment to manufacture a device which is in itself arcane, and in terms of its function, it is offers no improved functionality over the ground-breaking Swatch quartz watch developed 30 years ago.

Yet it allows Swatch to enter a more expensive market sector (the Sistem 51 is c.£110) and satisfy the market's demand for an accurate Swiss automatic, mechanical watch at a hitherto unheard of price-point. It's accuracy is such that it is certified as a chronometer, as Rolex et al, albeit the mechanism in the Swatch is sealed for life and not serviceable.

The engineering innovation to achieve the Sistem51's manufacture is breathtaking, but why? To cock-a-snook at the premium watch establishment or make money from the gullible and aspirational, albeit parsimonious, wannabe premium watch buyer?

The premium watch could be considered as being analogous with religion; a very big con' which preys upon those for whom a desire for dominion over lesser mortals must be demonstrated...

Chris.

P.S. I've also got a Fortis, although not a Spaceman. I suspect you probably won't like it

That looks FANTASTIC
Old 06-04-2015, 02:29 AM

Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts

Clean. Valjoux movement?

Retro-weird:

Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111 View Post

Chris.
There's an interesting piece from last year about the Sistem51 here:

http://www.europastar.com/magazine/f...-sistem51.html

Their initial review showed "The watch tested showed a delta of 18.4 seconds after the first winding (i.e. from -6.1 to +12.3 seconds per day), and ± 36 after 72 hours at rest (-6.9 and +29.1 seconds/day). But, surprisingly, another Sistem51 tested, which had been worn for a month, showed much better results, “almost chronometer level”, according to Denis Asch, with a delta of 8 (-4 + 4 seconds/day)."

It might well be certified now - or soon - if Swatch's (Tissot's?) marketing has anything to do with it!

Quite an amazing bit of engineering nonetheless.

Fortis made lovely watches; I'm more into their retro' stuff that complements being worn when in 'dandy mode' with a cravat...